I need honest opinions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'll stick my neck out. I think it was a 50/50 thing.

Seller: If there was scorring on the cylinder it would have been easy to see and make a note of in the For Sale post.

Buyer: If it's a parts saw and major componets have been removed you should probably should ask why.

I got drug through a transaction on Flea Bay on a 026 and it is a bad deal for both parties and usually there is no good way to settle the dispute. I think your lucky here with another buyer already lined up wanting it.

Now I always state as is/ask any and all questions before purchase. I'm not trying to rip anyone off but I am not perfect and I do miss things.

I have bought parts saws and have never been lucky enough to get one with a good piston. all the jugs have cleaned up but one. there are a lot more saws with scored pistons than with no fire being sold as parts saws. I think its part of the game of trying to get an expensive item for a cheap price by buying it screwed up. you have to gamble to get a bargin and some gambles turn out to be better than others. I think he bought your saw at a fair price and can make a good saw for the money. if you did give his money back im sure there would be several others that would be willing to take it off your hands. good luck Rick!!!!!

OK, I suppose it was me on the fence. I looked and searched, but haven't posted until now.
imo, when I buy a saw listed as a good saw, I expect everything to be there and the saw to run.
When buying a parts saw, I am merely looking for used parts, not a running saw. a parts saw, by definition, does not run. it is a pile of used parts from which to scavenge. some parts are good, others are not. If I need a specific part, It's my job, as the buyer, to specifically ask about it.

imo he bought exactly what was advertised. why do you or he feel something else is owed?
BB, if you want to be nice, sure, give him his money back, less shipping, after you recieve the saw back. otherwise, tell him to sell it somewhere and by the parts he needed in the first place.
-Ralph

When you assume things, you make an ASS out of U and ME! That said, I do think you should have mentioned the piston cylinder. Parts saw or not, you mentioned other things that were wrong with the saw - handle + air filter missing, etc. Thus, IMHO you should have mentioned the bad top end especially being a veteran on this site. Also, you say look at the pics - no close-up of the melted piston with stuck rings. Now, if the buyer had some specific questions he/she should have asked, I know I would have. At this point, I would simply refund him the full $125 after he paid shipping to return the saw to you, and the saw was in your hands. I would NOT buy a new piston and cylinder - if you did that, you could sell the saw for much more.

SmokinDodge said:
Ok, I'll stick my neck out. I think it was a 50/50 thing.

Seller: If there was scorring on the cylinder it would have been easy to see and make a note of in the For Sale post.

Buyer: If it's a parts saw and major componets have been removed you should probably should ask why.

That's my thought too.

As a buyer, you usually have a list of parts that you need from a parts saw to do your repairs or finish your project. If you have any doubt ALWAYS ask specifically if all the parts you want are on the saw and in usable shape.

As a seller, if the jug is off the saw like that, take a couple seconds and say that the piston and jug are no good. Not that you really did anything wrong, but it would have been 'nice'. If you're paying the shipping why even waste the money shipping dead weight?

My Experience

I bought a parts saw on ebay awhile back...the seller is an antique dealer, not a saw dealer. The saw was described as a "Homelite XL-12 with a stripped chain tension adjustment screw." Seems easy enough to fix, right? So I didn't ask any questions, bid $35, and won the saw...$15 for shipping to make a total of $50.

When it got to me, it turned out that one of the bar mounting studs was stripped out of the case, and had been welded back in; not to mention it was a Super XL Automatic, not an XL-12. Fine in my book, but I had an XL-12 parts saw...the parts are not interchangeable.

Took it to a machine shop, they wouldn't touch it, because the welding in the case was so poor it couldn't be machined. Took it to my local dealer, who had a Super XL Parts saw...had him change out the case...a $75 lesson for me...seller didn't disclose, and I didn't ask.

I thought long and hard about the feedback I would leave...end up leaving positive, because I got exactly what I bought, A PARTS SAW. So yeah, I ended up paying $125 for a Super XL...but the engine is in great condition, and it has become my firewood saw. I cut about 5 cord with it this year. I will give it a tune up before spring, and I hope this saw lasts as long as my dad's 1964 XL-12, which finally gave up last year (or so I thought, but thats a story for another time.)

My vote is that the seller is OK here...and the buyer should learn his lesson.

Grey Area, but not that Grey

Your description could've thrown the buyer, but let's face it, we don't buy parts saws to use them on arrival. Some screws, handle, caps, nuts/bolts, fire, pump, that's what I use them for. Save a lot of money circumventing individual parts, BUT sometimes, they aren't worth it. $125 definately not a rip off though. There, I didn't want to be on the fence either.

-Jason

Parts saws= a saw full of used and broken parts. If you care about a specific part you should ask.

Top end off = no top end. Lucky if the bearings are good.

Buyer does not know how to buy a used saw and has unrealistic expectations.

Seller could have done better, but did good enough.

Buyer bought a parts saw that needs some new parts.

There is no issue here.

parts saw

parts saw = needs help or rebuild
buyer should ask specific ???? before laying out his or her money.:D
i have bought parts and failed to ask ???? and got my just reward for not asking ???? about saw. so i ask first then decide if it is worth the money.:popcorn: :givebeer:

Bull I don't think you have to (take it back) but appreciate the fact that you brought it out in the open and evaulated the feedback and made your decision. Your reputation goes up in my book. Well done and good form.

v/r

Mike

If I had spent $125 on a used up box of nonworking saw parts, I wouldn't have a beef with the seller. I'd be fighting for air due to the chokehold from the wife. :laugh:

I'm with the majority here too. Whenever I look at a parts saw, I assume the top end is done for. That being said, it's always good to know exactly what's wrong with a parts saw when you're buying it so you can decide if it's going to work for you. If the seller doesn't say, I'd ask. Especially if there was no mention of the condition of the part I was most interested in. Personally, I'd be stoked with this deal. Scare up a useable cylinder, get an aftermarket piston, and give 'er hell.

Just so I'm not declared a fence sitter, I'll just say my piece. Bull, you wouldn't have even posted this question if you were 100% comfortable with the way this deal went through. You've even said as much.

Offer to refund his money if he pays shipping back to you. Then you will both will have paid $15-25 for a cheap lesson in selling/buying used saws on the internet.

I guess I should post too.

I feel the seller should have pointed it out.Then again I also feel the Buyer, by all means should have asked a few questions.
So I am going to just stay on the fence and try not to fall off.

gumneck said:
If I had spent $125 on a used up box of nonworking saw parts, I wouldn't have a beef with the seller. I'd be fighting for air due to the chokehold from the wife. :laugh:

Uh....Gumneck, I wont ask how you chose your handle after that comment. Your statement is hitting to close to home so I'm laughing pretty good right now. Thanks Gumneck, I needed that.

v/r

Mike

I'm never selling anything on AS.. Ebay is a much friendlier environment, and, everyone on Ebay KNOWS what a parts saw is...

If I'd have bought it, I'd have asked questions, but .. I do that on Ebay too.

litefoot said:
Just so I'm not declared a fence sitter, I'll just say my piece. Bull, you wouldn't have even posted this question if you were 100% comfortable with the way this deal went through. You've even said as much.

Offer to refund his money if he pays shipping back to you. Then you will both will have paid $15-25 for a cheap lesson in selling/buying used saws on the internet.

Its not that I am not 100% comfy with the sale. I had told him my feelings well before posting this. I also gave him the opportunity to post this himself. After 2 hours of non posting here but e-mialing me threatening to post it here unless I bought him a new piston I decided to call his bluff and post it here.

I am being humble and trying to learn from you guys. Thats why I asked the question to make sure I did the right thing. Most of my customers are repeat, so I try and look after them best I can when stuff goes wrong. I dont like losing customers or having bad deals.

If this top end was any good why would have I taken pictures of it in the bottom of a dirty plastic box just loosely hanging around? And why would the top end be off the saw if it were good?

Thanks agan for the responses. I have taken a lot out of this and have definately learned a few sales lessons.

Back