I need recommendations for a brushcutter to cut bamboo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugoestr

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I found it while I was researching which brush cutter to buy to cut down bambo.

I already bought a home-owner's quality brush cutter, and it broke after about a year of use. The bamboo was too much for it, and since I used it to cut bamboo, and I will be cutting bamboo bushes for years, and if God wills it, decades, I need something stronger and of better quality. At the same time, I would rather not pay $800. However, if I must pay that, then I will just let my frugal self rant in silence and deal with it.

How big is the bamboo your cutting? I use a chainsaw myself. I passed up a bamboo job a while back because of the liability. I was fearful a kid would get one throu the foot or worse. They can be deadly cut and left sticking up even a few inches.
As you probably already know their hard to get rid of. Every piece of root has to be removed or they'll be just as big next year.
You could rent a brush hog if you have lots of it. A effective hand held brush cutter(weed eater with a saw blade)would have to be a commercial type. Check E-Bay, otherwise its going to cost around 800.00.
Cut it down with what ever works, then use a Maddox to grub out the roots. This will probably take a few seasons to get all of them. but at lest their shallow.
There not underwater are they?
I vote chain saw.

Do you know which species of bamboo it is

Dendrocalamopsis oldhamii 4 inches diameter will need a chainsaw

Phyllostachys Edulis 'Moso' at 7 inches :msp_ohmy: will definately need a chainsaw

Bambusa multiplex Alphonse Karr 1 & 3/8 inch stems might be done with a brush cutter

Bambusa multiplex Fernleaf stripestem 9/16 inch diameter stems
would defiantly be able to be done with a brush cutter

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I found it while I was researching which brush cutter to buy to cut down bambo.

I already bought a home-owner's quality brush cutter, and it broke after about a year of use. The bamboo was too much for it, and since I used it to cut bamboo, and I will be cutting bamboo bushes for years, and if God wills it, decades, I need something stronger and of better quality. At the same time, I would rather not pay $800. However, if I must pay that, then I will just let my frugal self rant in silence and deal with it.

Stihl FS 110, Honda, Dolmar, Shindiawa, Get the biggest one you can afford with a saw blade on it. (I use my FS 90 on bamboo and small brush and grass all day long. I don't often wish for more power, and when I do, I usually sharpen the blade and keep going.

Back