i need some ideas guys on chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drilled two hole in some mini-mac bars so they sit on top of the jaws of the vise and then clamp the chain between them. It worked in a pinch and mini-mac bars come free with a pile of plastic on one end. But then I experimented with chain grinding angles and went back to using a grinder (5deg more hook and you'll ditch the files again).

Have to remember that, slicker than a vise. I think I would stick the B&C all the way through and not have to deal with the power head.

Good idea!!!

I tried that, but the way it is in the pic works best for me. I like being able to look directly down the length of the chain, give me a better idea of the correct angles.

For what it's worth, I touch up my chain every time I refuel. It doesn't take that long, and honestly, I think I can touch the chain up faster than I could swap it out with another one. Each cutter gets 5 swipes with a file. A sharpie works great to mark the first cutter, so you'll know when you've gone all the way around.

Bring a spare just in case you really bugger up the chain on some rocks, but I think you'll find that you don't really need to swap them out.

Food for thought. :msp_smile:
this makes ALOT of sense to me i went to this method my self this year and it works very well...to do 6 swipes on each tooth of a 20" bar takes no more that a few minutes...the sharpie thick works great too:rock::rock:

For off the saw filing, I put an old 16" Stihl bar in the vice and let the loop droop below and weight by hanging a bucket off of the loop with a C- clamp. Holds things just fine, and advancing the chain just takes a lift on the bucket. I file one handed and get ahold of the chain with the off hand though.

One of our members, "Tree Machine" went to all kinds of tinkering, and developed a gizmo(Chainmeister) that tightens up the loop on a bar in a vice, and takes about 3 seconds to get the loop on and off. Last I knew it was in production and carried by one of our sponsors.

I got to tinker with the Prototype, and it was slicker than snot on a doorknob, but havn't gotten hands on a production unit yet.

I'll go see if I can't find a link for ya.

ETA:
Found it!! Chainmeister at Tree stuff.
Tree Stuff - ChainMeister Filing Device

Check out the Vids too, as they explain the thing better than I could.
Crazy Jim the "Tree Machine" really put some thought into the thing.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the link, i think i just found my next project!

[video=youtube;1kETQg0b5NI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kETQg0b5NI&feature=plcp[/video]

On my Foley-Belsaw Sharpall 1055 is the rig you need. (If you had a 1055, you wouldn't want to file incisors or rakers no more.) You'll see at around 0:45 the two wheels the chain rolls around. Get just the wheels from them. mount the big one with a thumb screw or a little cam and mount the little one on what length 3/8" rod your longest chains require so you can slide it and fix it to various lengths.. fab a mounting accommodation for your file with a couple detents for the necessary angles.

You can mail me your old grinder if it is a Silvey in exchange for such an awesome free tip.

All questions come back again!

I also wanted to be able to file 'off-the-bar' for a variety of chain gauges, and loop lengths. I have scrap .050 and .063 bars that I pulled the nose sprockets out of (so that I can do any pitch chain), that I clamp in a machinists' vise and mount a Granberg file guide on. The file guide has a dog/stop and side plates that help to keep the the cutters from moving when filing.

I started a similar thread some time ago, where you can see some other ideas.

http://www.arboristsite.com/baileys/149917.htm

Post #4 in this thread shows a Logosol vise with limited praise, but I noticed that Bailey's is now selling an 'improved version'(?)
Bailey's - Logosol Filing Guide

also, http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/142167.htm#post2330069

The Oregon vise (photo in first post) of this thread is not available, unless you find one used (if you find 2, please let me know!).
Post #25 in that same thread shows a HD, home-made version.

Heimannm also started a thread with some of these, an antique file vise, and an updated one he made:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/120500.htm

Philbert

Do you suppose it's the concave profile of a filed tooth vs. the flat profile of a ground tooth?

You know, I'm not sure. I can usually get them sharp with the grinder. Maybe I was being too conservative on how much I took off. But, it's sharp now! :hmm3grin2orange:

Do you suppose it's the concave profile of a filed tooth vs. the flat profile of a ground tooth?

This is something else we have discussed before. Depending on how you use your grinder, you can still get a round/hollow grind profile. Technically, it will be slightly more complex due to the circumference of the wheel, but probably not enough to make a practical difference.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you grind your hook like the lower photo, then clean out your gullet separately (like you would with a file), you will get a similar edge profile. Too many guys try to grind down, and often into, the tie straps, rather than profiling the cutters. You can hold a file or wooden dowel of the right size up to the cutter when grinding, to check your grinding depth if that helps (files and wheels are not exactly the same size, but you can get an idea).

Philbert

BD8ED807-4B9B-465E-8CEC-E7881F64A8B2.png A9C4932E-055D-4173-A30A-FE3671E78E87.png E24EE2DA-EBC9-47E1-A35D-E7BB1AB91C4A.png
i decided the other day i am going to retire the grinder and start filing again,, i need some ideas on holding a chain off of a saw to file it,, the only 2 ideas i came up with is using 2 2x4's in the vise and sandwiching the chain between the 2 or clamping an old bar in the vise and filing that way,, the only problem with the bar idea that i can figure is that the chain won't stay secure enough to file,, to me it should be able to be tightened,, when i go cut i always take extra chains so i can just switch out and then sharpen later when i get home,,does this make any sense to what i am asking??? any ideas???
You can always send them to us (Razzorsharp) to ease the your pain of the dreadful filing job, we would be glad to service them for ya ,God Bless...

The chain on detached bar can be tension ed up by a number of "bungees" hooked mid way along the bottom run of the chain a loop to put your foot in to tighten if you restrict the top to one hook it requires less hassle to move it along Bit of Trial & Error

Some devices include a chain stop; something that would be relatively easy to make.

The Granberg style, clamp-on file guides have a built-in stop to hold the cutter.

This Tecomec stump vise has one that is similar to those used on their grinders.

Tecomec stump vise.png

Philbert

Build alittle jig bottle jack roller dohickey that clamps in the vice or some konda roller bolt tighening method.

Lol my minds already got more thinking into that then its worth

Latest posts

Back