I needed the exercise, the wood had wire in it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was cutting this american elm log. I didnt notice it until I hit the wire with the chainsaw. I had hit metal while cutting in the past. so the kick of the saw was familiar. so I stopped cutting. and sharpened the chain. I was able to save the chain.
DSCN0579_zps93f0dbe5.jpg
DSCN0580_zpse98f228e.jpg

here is a pic of the wire.

DSCN0581_zpsc34426e8.jpg
DSCN0582_zpsbd38c816.jpg

I started chopping away at the log with a maul. here I ran the saw down to make it easier to split.

DSCN0583_zps0b0b3531.jpg

here is a couple more pieces of steel in the wood. I didn't use the 2 sided axe for much other than size perspective.

DSCN0584_zpsd4b49959.jpg
DSCN0585_zps73a349af.jpg

American elm bark

DSCN0586_zps8c57df54.jpg

more wire
DSCN0588_zps3ef2234c.jpg

the duct tape on the handle is only to protect the handle from over strikes.

DSCN0589_zps79a25634.jpg

I'm guessing it was a fence? but I've been wrong before.

DSCN0590_zps57936533.jpg

I hacked away more and more. getting more and more fire wood. and exposing more metal.

DSCN0591_zpsd737f791.jpg

DSCN0592_zps42672420.jpg
DSCN0593_zps855ccefe.jpg

wire, bark, bugs.
DSCN0595_zps308942e1.jpg
DSCN0597_zps8764cbbe.jpg
DSCN0596_zps49a12f74.jpg

the pile of wood I ended up with. ultimately I really only did this for the exercise.

That was a lot of work! Interesting that there is no stain carrying up or down in the wood like you would see with cherry or walnut.

My father and I ran into a similar situation years ago with a maple. We hit something hard no matter where we cut so we decided to cut as much as we could around the base and snap the tree off and let it fall into the dump truck bed. My father decided to split the trunk lengthwise to see what we hit and found a "tree surgeon" had filled a crack about eight feet long with concrete and nails.

That was a lot of work! Interesting that there is no stain carrying up or down in the wood like you would see with cherry or walnut.

My father and I ran into a similar situation years ago with a maple. We hit something hard no matter where we cut so we decided to cut as much as we could around the base and snap the tree off and let it fall into the dump truck bed. My father decided to split the trunk lengthwise to see what we hit and found a "tree surgeon" had filled a crack about eight feet long with concrete and nails.
I agree about the staining. I've seen oaks stained 4 ft up the grain from having metal in it.

I have heard of concrete in trees before. Idk why anyone would do that... maybe they thought it would prolong the life of the tree??? were the nails in the concrete? or just hammered into the tree???

Back when I was younger and my dad split wood for the family we would run across those white grub-like worms in the wood too. He used to save them in a plastic container for me as he found them. Once he was done splitting for the day he'd hand me that box-o-grubs and we'd feed em to the Jack Dempseys I kept in my 55 gallon tank. Have you ever seen a chicken that got itself a toad or a really big bug and ran all around the coop trying to keep the others from getting a piece? Well, it was like that, only the aquatic version LOL.

I agree about the staining. I've seen oaks stained 4 ft up the grain from having metal in it.

I have heard of concrete in trees before. Idk why anyone would do that... maybe they thought it would prolong the life of the tree??? were the nails in the concrete? or just hammered into the tree???
The nails were in the concrete - like they used them to support it. Dad said back in the day they did this to prevent rot. This was maple and it had completely compartmentalized the patch so maybe it worked? We didn't see a sign of it on the outside - or maybe didn't know what to look for at the time.

I was cutting down a mulberry years ago at my parents house along the back fenceline. I found a T post. I adjusted the height to try and get above it. I went up in 2' increments...damn thing was 8' tall....talk about being pissed, I couldn't save the chains

Jeff

We came across a chestnut in Ann Arbor that was filled with concrete, wierd. But the oaks look cool after they get that blue stain from whatever in the metal

I once knew a guy who knew a guy

Àll the power poles in my town have huge nails and bolts screwed into them to prevent rot

i was cuttting through a white oak couple years back and found some of the concrete with nails in it. Took me a second to realise what was happening and by then my almost new rsc chain was screwed. No way to know it was there until it was too late.

i was cuttting through a white oak couple years back and found some of the concrete with nails in it. Took me a second to realise what was happening and by then my almost new rsc chain was screwed. No way to know it was there until it was too late.
I've found that putting a new chain on is the best way to find metal in wood. In fact, it's almost guaranteed!

Latest posts

Back