I re-heat treated aftermarket circlips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
So I'm in a pinch to get this saw done.

Northwood Husky 55 kit. Northwood guys are super cool BTW. :cool2:

Anyway, I took a gamble on the circlips the first time around, and the little ear busted off of one of them and was ingested by the saw. The whole top end was ruined.

The reason I used the clips is they visually "looked" okay. My thoughts were, "Well, the kits have been out long enough -- they must have fixed the crappy clip issue."

In hindsight, I should have done the bend test, where you bend the ends opposite of each other, and they should spring back.

So Northwood sends me this new kit, and of course I'm not going use the circlips. The saw owner is out of town, and told me no rush on getting the saw done.

He calls me day after Christmas and leaves a message on my phone that the saw should be done because he needs it. Then his wife calls and gets all #####y/snobby on me about this saw.

So, now they want it asap, and I go to the saw shop yesterday and try and get some clips that match. The tech I know gives me everything he has that's close on his bench and I head home. Unfortunately, I got a 066 clip, and two smaller unknowns. The smaller ones would have worked on the OEM pin, but these aftermarket kits have a .030" groove and .038" clips. The clips he gave me were .030", so no dice.

Now I don't have any choice, I don't want to deal with these snobby people anymore, and so I heat treat the Chinese clips.

They spring back nicely now when the bend test is done.

Will they hold up now? I think they will.

Someone with some connections needs to demand a better heat teat on these clips, and I think they would be okay. They're definitely a heat treatable alloy or carbon steel -- they're just not being treated right at the manufacturer.

Crossing my fingers, cause I want these people to go away. :msp_sneaky:

I'll also update this thread, good or bad, for the clips holding up.

So I'm in a pinch to get this saw done.

Northwood Husky 55 kit. Northwood guys are super cool BTW. :cool2:

Anyway, I took a gamble on the circlips the first time around, and the little ear busted off of one of them and was ingested by the saw. The whole top end was ruined.

The reason I used the clips is they visually "looked" okay. My thoughts were, "Well, the kits have been out long enough -- they must have fixed the crappy clip issue."

In hindsight, I should have done the bend test, where you bend the ends opposite of each other, and they should spring back.

So Northwood sends me this new kit, and of course I'm not going use the circlips. The saw owner is out of town, and told me no rush on getting the saw done.

He calls me day after Christmas and leaves a message on my phone that the saw should be done because he needs it. Then his wife calls and gets all #####y/snobby on me about this saw.

So, now they want it asap, and I go to the saw shop yesterday and try and get some clips that match. The tech I know gives me everything he has that's close on his bench and I head home. Unfortunately, I got a 066 clip, and two smaller unknowns. The smaller ones would have worked on the OEM pin, but these aftermarket kits have a .030" groove and .038" clips. The clips he gave me were .030", so no dice.

Now I don't have any choice, I don't want to deal with these snobby people anymore, and so I heat treat the Chinese clips.

They spring back nicely now when the bend test is done.

Will they hold up now? I think they will.

Someone with some connections needs to demand a better heat teat on these clips, and I think they would be okay. They're definitely a heat treatable alloy or carbon steel -- they're just not being treated right at the manufacturer.

Crossing my fingers, cause I want these people to go away. :msp_sneaky:

I'll also update this thread, good or bad, for the clips holding up.

I always replaced the aftermarket rings with some good inner circlips from a hardware/auto store, no worries there.

Heat treating makes up for poor quality metal???
Really.

i know i'm going to cach a lot of flack for saying this but the only time i every had a problem with one is when i accidentally bent it while installing it. now i take my time putting them in.. and via fee bay i found a supplyer that for some reason the c-clips are better

Just out of curiosity, is it the same saw you did before? How long have you had it?

Yes, same saw. I built it for him pre-Turkey Day. He calls 4 tanks in to a log truck load he was bucking, said the saw just quit.

I asked if he had bucked enough to get him through for a while, and he said yeah no worries, he was heading out of town for work anyway.

No heads up -- he calls day after Christmas wanting the saw. I had told him he could have it after the Holiday's, hence the wood questions. And he's not out of wood, his step son is home from college and wants to cut wood for pocket money.

He also knows I have nothing to do with guaranteeing aftermarket (or even OEM) parts -- and I don't want to eat the labor unless it was something I did to the saw.

Long story short, I'll eat two port jobs to get this rich guy a saw he'll use twice then park. The reason he wanted this one fixed, was he is too cotton picken cheap to have a shop fix it with OEM, or go get a throw away saw to get him through until he moves.

I did some work for him earlier this year, and made the mistake of showing him what a ported saw and sharp chain can do. Well, then he wants one too.

I wouldn't mind this whole situation -- but his wife's verbiage and tone was like I'm their boy, and better please the mast'ah. :msp_thumbdn:

Rich people give me the heebie jeebies.

I always replaced the aftermarket rings with some good inner circlips from a hardware/auto store, no worries there.

Fish, I strongly consider going to the hardware store and finding rings to work. I thought for sure the small clips I got from the saw shop would work though, and rushed home.

I've heard that using snap rings aren't good, and I've heard others say it'll work fine. :dunno:

The clips have to be real close to 1mm wire with a 12mm OD (for a 10mm pin).

Fish, I strongly consider going to the hardware store and finding rings to work. I thought for sure the small clips I got from the saw shop would work though, and rushed home.

I've heard that using snap rings aren't good, and I've heard others say it'll work fine. :dunno:

The clips have to be real close to 1mm wire with a 12mm OD (for a 10mm pin).

Most snap rings from the hardware store have a square profile, as opposed to the round profile of the wire used to make a wrist pin clip.

I think if you heat treated the ones that came with the kit then you should be ok, knowing your talents with all things metallic.

That's a project I would have never taken on. I learned my lesson early on with wealthy people and their OPE. I've had some ask
and I flat out refuse. I make them go to a dealership.

Teat treated or not you have to double and triple check that they've clicked into place, making them spin a little with some pliers will ensure they're in the groove. Not saying you messed up, just some information for those who may be looking to replace their piston.

Don't stress it, just make it run and forget about these people they're not worth it. Problem is a bunch of brats can easily talk trash about you and ruin some of your income... Better be careful then.

Most snap rings from the hardware store have a square profile, as opposed to the round profile of the wire used to make a wrist pin clip.

I think if you heat treated the ones that came with the kit then you should be ok, knowing your talents with all things metallic.

That's a project I would have never taken on. I learned my lesson early on with wealthy people and their OPE. I've had some ask
and I flat out refuse. I make them go to a dealership.

Yeah, they seem to be up to snuff now. . . A lot harder to twist and they spring right back.

Again, they (the manufacturer) probably use okay material, they're just dropping the ball with their heat treating.

On the working for rich weirdos, I hear ya.

I just have a hard time telling people no, and it usually get's me in trouble. :(

I wouldn't mind this whole situation -- but his wife's verbiage and tone was like I'm their boy, and better please the mast'ah. :msp_thumbdn:

Rich people give me the heebie jeebies.

See post #4 and head on down the road....and stay away from rich people from now on.

Sounds like you better please the rich YF sooner than later before grandma gets into the act and takes this thread to a whole new level.

:popcorn:

Some of them "aftermarket" rings don't even feel like they're made of spring steel.

They have no memory. Have used inside retaining rings with no issues, just make sure they are tight.

Me thinks most failures of the A/M is due to installation error.

Back