I re-heat treated aftermarket circlips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why eat anything? If he decided to go cheap, and you did your part correctly it's on him. Tell his wife pound sand, it will be done when you told him it will. What do you care if they send you anymore work if you dislike their greif, it's an easy way to say no.

It's how I roll dude. . . I always want folks to be happy with my work. Sometimes that means getting bent over. That will only happen once though -- then they can go somewhere else.
Being a people pleaser also means I usually take on more than I can chew, and someone is pissed in the end anyway. :dizzy:

My favorite people are the ones who screw ya over, and call later like you're best buddies. :laugh:

That's a real mind bender -- it's like these people walk around thru life clueless of the way they treat others.

There is all kinds of "heat treating". If you heated them to cherry red then quenched them that is flame surface hardening. Done with an electromagnet it is induction hardening.

While there are many methods and processes to heat treat metal, most ferrous metal requires a second step to increase ductility and fracture resistance.

Although the source is questionable, this info from Wikipedia speaks in laymans terms:

Tempering is a process of heat treating, which is used to increase the toughness of iron-based alloys. It is also a technique used to increase the toughness of glass. For metals, tempering is usually performed after hardening, to reduce some of the excess hardness, and is done by heating the metal to a much lower temperature than was used for hardening. The exact temperature determines the amount of hardness removed, and depends on both the specific composition of the alloy and on the desired properties in the finished product. For instance, very hard tools are often tempered at low temperatures, while springs are tempered to much higher temperatures. In glass, tempering is performed by heating the glass and then quickly cooling the surface, increasing the toughness.

Very few metals react to heat treatment in the same manner, or to the same extent, that steel does. Steel can be softened to a very malleable state through annealing, or it can be hardened to a state nearly as rigid and brittle as glass by quenching. However, in its hardened state, steel is usually far too brittle, lacking the structural integrity to be useful for most applications. Tempering is a method used to decrease the hardness, thereby increasing the ductility of the quenched steel, to impart some springiness and malleability to the metal. This allows the metal to bend before breaking. Depending on how much temper is imparted to the steel, it may bend elastically (the steel returns to its original shape once the load is removed), or it may bend plastically (the steel does not return to its original shape, resulting in permanent deformation), before fracturing. Tempering is used to precisely balance the mechanical properties of the metal, such as shear strength, yield strength, hardness, ductility and tensile strength, to achieve any number of a combination of properties, making the steel useful for a wide variety of applications. Tools such as hammers and wrenches require good resistance to abrasion, impact resistance, and resistance to deformation. Springs do not require as much rigidity, but must deform elastically before breaking. Automotive parts tend to be a little less rigid, but need to deform plastically before breaking.
Except in rare cases where maximum rigidity and hardness are needed, such as the untempered steel used for files, quenched steel is almost always tempered to some degree. However, steel is sometimes annealed through a process called normalizing, leaving the steel only partially softened. Tempering is sometimes used on normalized steels to further soften it, increasing the malleability and machinability for easier metalworking. Tempering may also be used on welded steel, to relieve some of the stresses and excess hardness created in the heat affected zone around the weld.[3]
Quenched-steel

Tempering is most often performed on steel that has been heated above its upper critical (A3) temperature and then quickly cooled, in a process called quenching, using methods such as immersing the red-hot steel in water, oil, or forced-air. The quenched-steel, being placed in, or very near, its hardest possible state, is then tempered to incrementally decrease the hardness to a point more suitable for the desired application. The hardness of the quenched-steel depends on both cooling speed and on the composition of the alloy. Steel with a high carbon-content will reach a much harder state than steel with a low carbon-content. Likewise, tempering high-carbon steel to a certain temperature will produce steel that is considerably harder than low-carbon steel that is tempered at the same temperature. The amount of time held at the tempering temperature also has an effect. Tempering at a slightly elevated temperature for a shorter time may produce the same effect as tempering at a lower temperature for a longer time. Tempering times vary, depending on the carbon content, size, and desired application of the steel, but typically range from a few minutes to a few hours.
Tempering quenched-steel at very low temperatures, between 66 and 148 °C (151 and 298 °F), will usually not have much effect other than a slight relief of some of the internal stresses. Tempering at higher temperatures, from 148 to 205 °C (298 to 401 °F), will produce a slight reduction in hardness, but will primarily relieve much of the internal stresses. Tempering in the range of 260 and 340 °C (500 and 644 °F) causes a decrease in ductility and an increase in brittleness, and is referred to as the "tempered martensite embrittlement" (TME) range. This range is usually avoided. Steel requiring more strength than toughness, such as tools, are usually not tempered above 205 °C (401 °F). When increased toughness is desired at the expense of strength, higher tempering temperatures, from 370 to 540 °C (698 to 1,004 °F), are used. Tempering at even higher temperatures, between 540 and 600 °C (1,004 and 1,112 °F), will produce excellent toughness, but at a serious reduction in the strength and hardness. At 600 °C (1,112 °F), the steel experiences another stage of embrittlement, called "temper embrittlement" (TE), so heating above this temperature is also avoided.[3]
Normalized steel

Steel that has been heated above its upper critical temperature and then cooled in standing air is called normalized steel. This produces steel that is much stronger than full-annealed steel, and much tougher than tempered quenched steel. However, added toughness is sometimes needed at a reduction in strength. Tempering provides a way to carefully decrease the hardness of the steel, thereby increasing the toughness to a more desirable point. Cast-steel is often normalized rather than annealed, to decrease the amount of distortion that can occur. Tempering can further decrease the hardness, increasing the ductility to a point more like annealed steel.[8] Tempering is often used on carbon steels, producing much the same results. The process, called "normalize and temper", is used frequently on steels such as 1045 carbon steel, or most other steels containing 0.35 to 0.55% carbon. These steels are usually tempered after normalizing, to increase the toughness and relieve internal stresses. This can make the metal more suitable for its intended use and easier to machine.[9]

Damn John, you writing a book? :laugh:

With these clips, being an unknown steel, I ran them thru a normalizing heat, then pulled them to non magnetic watching the decalescence, and quenched them in hot water (it was handy on the top of the wood stove). I file checked them fer hard, and when they checked out I cooked them fer a spell at 500° in the oven.

Being such a small cross section, multiple soaks/cycles would be unnecessary.

Oh, I forgot to mention. . .

I'm going to cut off those huge returns on the clips that make them look like a capital "G" -- making them into a "C".

The "G" portion was the part that broke off the last one and thrashed everything, and they don't need to be on the clips for them to work.

The cutoffs will also make good hard pins to use for ring-end relocation.

Would this be a bad time to ask where my springboard shoes are? :hmm3grin2orange:

If they're not ready I promise I won't have the wife call you up and snarl at you.

Might be better to tell the lady you have priority work going on at the moment..... :laugh: and express costs always extra!

My experience is that wealth has nothing to do with manners! I know poor people and rich people who have neither and just the other way around.

Hope this turns out in a good way for you!

With these clips, being an unknown steel, I ran them thru a normalizing heat, then pulled them to non magnetic watching the decalescence, and quenched them in hot water (it was handy on the top of the wood stove). I file checked them fer hard, and when they checked out I cooked them fer a spell at 500° in the oven.

Thanks, I never could tell any differences between using the two, water or oil.

With the work you put into them, the circlips are likely to now be the highest quality component of the top end kit!..;)

They're going to be moving to either New Mexico or Mexico. :rock:

The husband is an okay guy I guess, but his wife is like those hi-maintenance rich chicks you see on tv.

Her ex-husband is a Dr. if that says anything. She's also got the long blonde hair, big teets, long nails. . . :msp_thumbdn:

Just paint a wild thing black, make it loud and charge about a grand. All she's looking for is to boast to her friends about the cost

With the work you put into them, the circlips are likely to now be the highest quality component of the top end kit!..;)

Isn't it ironic that these components are so widely attributed to the top end failures and destruction of so many machines, be they OEM or AM?

A cheesy little circlip...

Isn't it ironic that these components are so widely attributed to the top end failures and destruction of so many machines, be they OEM or AM?

A cheesy little circlip...

For want of a nail...the war was lost.

The devil is always in the details.

Anybody care to guess how quickly a custom built r400 automatic transmission can be destroyed by a $0.33 clip that breaks?:bang:

Mr. HE:cool:

On the working for rich people...

I took on a job for custom walkways with brick and tile inlay, surrounded by exposed ag, brick porch, garden walkway, brick fireplace and hearth, and concrete picnic patio. (Seperate from the formal patio, don't get that mixed up.)

Anyway, the couple hired me because I came very highly reccomended and after looking at jobs I'd done for two of their friends they just had to have the work done by me. Husband and I negotiated all the particulars and signed the papers. He was a decent guy and had been a contractor himself in the SF Bay area. We got along fine.

Well, I had my wedding planned and told them right up front that regardless of the progress I was going to be gone for two weeks during their job. They said that was no problem.

The day I get back from my honeymoon, two days before I told them I'd be back, the wife is screaming into the phone at me about taking too long, she isn't going to wait for any reason, I better get over there in half an hour or she'll sue, and on, and on, and on.

Now, based on the timeframe in the contract I still had two weeks to finish the job and the only thing left was the garden pathway. Two days of work at the most. I told her I'd see her when I said I'd see her. She started calling all my family listed in the phone book and screaming at them. I ignored her and showed up as I had promised. I brought an extra helper and we did the whole thing in one day. I then went to the door and demanded final payment before I left. She refused at first, than her husband stepped past her without a word and handed me a check and said "Thanks for finishing so quickly." Guess he was tired of listening to her too.

The real irony is that two months later I got a call from someone who wanted similar work done, they said "Yeah, Mrs. X is really happy with the work you did!" Some people! I'd bet real money she just loved bragging about spending 50k on custom sidewalks.:hmm3grin2orange:

On the working for rich people...

I took on a job for custom walkways with brick and tile inlay, surrounded by exposed ag, brick porch, garden walkway, brick fireplace and hearth, and concrete picnic patio. (Seperate from the formal patio, don't get that mixed up.)

Anyway, the couple hired me because I came very highly reccomended and after looking at jobs I'd done for two of their friends they just had to have the work done by me. Husband and I negotiated all the particulars and signed the papers. He was a decent guy and had been a contractor himself in the SF Bay area. We got along fine.

Well, I had my wedding planned and told them right up front that regardless of the progress I was going to be gone for two weeks during their job. They said that was no problem.

The day I get back from my honeymoon, two days before I told them I'd be back, the wife is screaming into the phone at me about taking too long, she isn't going to wait for any reason, I better get over there in half an hour or she'll sue, and on, and on, and on.

Now, based on the timeframe in the contract I still had two weeks to finish the job and the only thing left was the garden pathway. Two days of work at the most. I told her I'd see her when I said I'd see her. She started calling all my family listed in the phone book and screaming at them. I ignored her and showed up as I had promised. I brought an extra helper and we did the whole thing in one day. I then went to the door and demanded final payment before I left. She refused at first, than her husband stepped past her without a word and handed me a check and said "Thanks for finishing so quickly." Guess he was tired of listening to her too.

The real irony is that two months later I got a call from someone who wanted similar work done, they said "Yeah, Mrs. X is really happy with the work you did!" Some people! I'd bet real money she just loved bragging about spending 50k on custom sidewalks.:hmm3grin2orange:

Your story made me puke in my mouth a little. . . Fricken spoiled ass rich women. :buttkick:

So, the clips spring back like a champ. . . So much so that right as I was clicking one in, it did the famous "PING" -- and was never seen again.

So now I'm thinking I'm really screwed.

I'm on the phone with my brother pacing back and forth, and happen to glance at my "spring bin". This is my bin that catches all manner of springs I come across, for possible later use.

I thumb through it with my calipers and find a spring with a good diameter, and the correct wire size.

So I take my dikes and snip off a coil. . .

Now I'm making circlips from springs!!!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Son of a guns snap in like a boss too!

So, the clips spring back like a champ. . . So much so that right as I was clicking one in, it did the famous "PING" -- and was never seen again.

So now I'm thinking I'm really screwed.

I'm on the phone with my brother pacing back and forth, and happen to glance at my "spring bin". This is my bin that catches all manner of springs I come across, for possible later use.

I thumb through it with my calipers and find a spring with a good diameter, and the correct wire size.

So I take my dikes and snip off a coil. . .

Now I'm making circlips from springs!!!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Son of a guns snap in like a boss too!

That's all a circlip is anyway!

Naw come on be honest!!! You just wanted to keep this high quality equipment piece for yourself and second be sure that you always have a return customer.... :D

Back