I scored a Pioneer 620.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today when I was in the process of moving I drove past a garage sale and seen what looked to be a Pioneer chainsaw. So on the way back through I pulled the truck and trailer over and went and looked at it. It was a 620 and the guy wanted 50 bucks for it. I asked if it ran and he said yes, well he pulled his gut out trying but it never did so I offered 30.00. I really don't care if it runs or not it will be something that sits on a shelf in the barn:)

I looked this model up on Acres and seen they offered a 620 super, but how do you tell, I seen on the metal tag it's labeled as a S620 so does that mena it's a Super??? I can't believe it is a 103cc saw I wouldn't have guessed it. It has very strong compression. I will get a plug and some fresh fuel for it and try to start it later today. Any other info would be great because it's neat to know the history of stuff:cheers:

I believe you have a 620 super, of course pictures would certainly help. For the Pioneer collector those are very desirable saws and a nice one for any collection as well. "Get pictures quick so i can drool on my monitor"!!

For their time they were very good saws. I have a model 600 and it is built very well. They have a removable cylinder head and they offered oversize pistons. They vibrated a lot and only turned around 6000 rpm, but the duel port muffler made up for that in coolness. Mine has a 25" bar and pulls 1/2 inch chain with authority.

I just got done running it... hehehe It seems to have some power. It only has a I beleive a 20" bar but I stuck it to some beech wood and I was leaning on it pretty hard. The chain is shot though.

I'm glad the jack :censored: that had it didn't get it running. I dumped fresh straight gas out of it. I pulled the muffler and looked at it, the intake side looked to have a bit of scoring, the exhaust looked fine so hopefully it isn't that bad off. It did pull 130 psi. The saw is pretty clean for it's age I can still read the sticker on the removable shroud for the carb adj. everything looks to be there also. I would bet that it didn't get used very much, it was a good thirty dollars well spent:)

I will get pics soon, I have to go to the old house to get the camera I didn't get that packed yet!!

For their time they were very good saws. I have a model 600 and it is built very well. They have a removable cylinder head and they offered oversize pistons. They vibrated a lot and only turned around 6000 rpm, but the duel port muffler made up for that in coolness. Mine has a 25" bar and pulls 1/2 inch chain with authority.

Yes I noticed that also about the removable head from cylinder, I'm hesatant about pulling anything down in fear I won't be able to find gaskets. It would be neat to find a 28" bar for it soes anyone know if you can retro fit a newer style to it?

I got a Pioneer 650 running that sat for about 15 years, however I had to rebuild the recoil, replace the fuel lines (they were literally mush), and rebuild the carb, after that it runs pretty good, lol.

attachment.php

Carb in pieces

attachment.php

New carb parts

attachment.php

Back to work after sitting for a couple decades..

attachment.php

Air leak, running lean, or straight gas?

No the guy had a full fresh tank of pure ole gas in it. I'm really glad he didn't get it going today!!! I could see it in the glass that it was pure gold. I think the guy I got it from buys crap from auctions and such and then turns around and sells it in his year long yard sales, so I bet he picked it recently and is just a resell. Though he said he had owned it for years but bought a Craftsman to replace it. Who knows but it would seem that he would know to put mix gas in it:dizzy:

I got a Pioneer 650 running that sat for about 15 years, however I had to rebuild the recoil, replace the fuel lines (they were literally mush), and rebuild the carb, after that it runs pretty good, lol.

attachment.php

Carb in pieces

attachment.php

New carb parts

attachment.php

Back to work after sitting for a couple decades..

attachment.php

Very nice!!! Good to see it being used milling!! Does it seem to do good for milling?

Where do you find carb kits and such for them? How are the points to adjust, is there a window in the flywheel for access? I'm finding myself wanting to tinker more with it now that I've ran it!!! In a way I wish it didn't run so I could just call it what it is and put it on a shelf:)

Last edited:
You have a 620 Super, they have the copper colored top cover like that one. The regular 620 has a yellow top cover with a green outlined tree.
Pioneerguy600

So where can a guy find a carb kit for one? Looks similiar to the old single cylinder Artic Cat sled I had. What about a newer bar conversion? It looks like they ran .404 from the factory?? I would be interested in putting a new bar and chain on it and playing around with it.

So where can a guy find a carb kit for one? Looks similiar to the old single cylinder Artic Cat sled I had. What about a newer bar conversion? It looks like they ran .404 from the factory?? I would be interested in putting a new bar and chain on it and playing around with it.

Carb kits for the Tillotson HL carbs are real easy to find, all small engine shops can get them for you and several of the site sponsors here have them. Calvin at Lawn Mower tech got some for me.New bars come up often on eBay and Oregon sells bars for the D007 mount. The new Oregon bar may need a slight adjustment to the oil hole to line up with the bar pad. The clutch drum drive for a 3/8" is still easily avaliable. I run all 404 chain on my Pioneer 600 series saws, they have the grunt to pull it.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
No the guy had a full fresh tank of pure ole gas in it. I'm really glad he didn't get it going today!!! I could see it in the glass that it was pure gold. I think the guy I got it from buys crap from auctions and such and then turns around and sells it in his year long yard sales, so I bet he picked it recently and is just a resell. Though he said he had owned it for years but bought a Craftsman to replace it. Who knows but it would seem that he would know to put mix gas in it:dizzy:

Well, you said you scored a Pioneer 620;)

The clutch drum drive for a 3/8" is still easily avaliable. I run all 404 chain on my Pioneer 600 series saws, they have the grunt to pull it.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the help, I would have never guessed the carb was that common. Where is the 3/8 drive sprokets avaliable at? I would like to switch out to 3/8seeing how I have about 30+ chains in that size. I'll see what I can find for bars thanks again:cheers:

Cool saw Gink!

Thanks man!!! I'm kinda enjoying it, I got it somewhat clean tonight, I think it looks pretty good. I won't be repainting it, I think it looks cool the way it is. It starts pretty good now but I need to clean the gas tank, I see a lot of crap in there, the fuel bowl needs cleaned out also.

Thanks man!!! I'm kinda enjoying it, I got it somewhat clean tonight, I think it looks pretty good. I won't be repainting it, I think it looks cool the way it is. It starts pretty good now but I need to clean the gas tank, I see a lot of crap in there, the fuel bowl needs cleaned out also.

Those old saws usually need the tank cleaned out... People leaving gas in them for 10 years straight and such.

Latest posts

Back