I scored big today on chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went in to my local husky dealer-tool rental store.
I asked if he was willing to sell me a few chains off their rental saws. He said yeah he would. I knew from speaking with him last week, that they put a NEW chain on every time a saw goes out for rental. So he hooked me up with 8 84 DL 3/8 50 guage full chisel husky chains for 25 bucks. Most are still sharp. nut I will run em all though the grinder. I am going to cut about half of them down to 72 DL for my 20 inch bars., as soon as I locate some repair links and rivets.
Have to go to a Jonsered dealer in town. Ace only sells Stihl chains and accesories. I feel good about my bargain

I do not rent much from them.

But I have bought a couple of new chains from them in the past few months.
The chains are marked Husky and 46 on the drive dogs. They appear to be a bit of a safety type. but not real drastic. I have not tried to cut or plunge with one yet..

yankin my chain??

Yeah, that is a good score.
I wonder if that is a common practice in rental shops to replace chains each time it's brought back.
I bet most of them resharpen the chain.
Cuz otherwise, they wouldn't make much profit.

A Stihl dealer near me has the same practice. A new chain on every saw that is rented. I just recently bought 6 or 8 24" Stihl RS chains for $5/each. Can't beat that with a stick. Some are still sharp and some have been rocked out. Not a problem with my Tecomec grinder.

we should probably have kept this secret ours..

But I now have about 15 chains.. so I am good for a year or so

It is probably insurance reasons on why they do that. The only thing I find funny is that if that is the reason, then their insurance probably wouldn't like them selling the used chains either.

Insurance is controlling to much stuff nowadays.

That practice must increase the cost of a saw rental. Those chains are not free, someone has to pay. How much do they charge to rent a saw out of curiosity?

never dawned on me to ask..

My buddy and I were wondering the same thing, after we had already pulled away

My local Home Depot does the same but won't sell the old ones. They said someone set a shop on fire from grinding over an open container of fuel. That is why they won't sharpen anymore. I don't have a grinder but do they spark that much?

well yeah they spark.

grinders make sparks.. They do not travel far. but they do make lots of tiny sparks. I got 5 of them sharpened this evening. I will cut two down to 20 inch bars and one to an 18 inch bar for a buddy

Latest posts

Back