I think I am going to switch to HP ultra.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I alway's run supreme gas, same place alway's chevron, and alway's still oil, and 50-1. I have noticed lately in my saw's that I have pulle'd the muffler's off just to take a peak. They all are getting carbon build up. Not alot, but enough, and I think as time goe's on will be more. Alway's had good luck with that oil, but I hear so many good thing's about the HP ultra. I am going to switch, and try it.

i burn 2 gal of gas a day with hp ultra 50:1 in my woods ported work saws

I've used a lot of stihl ultra and stihl dino. I like the ultra just fine. I've used some klotz also. I like the smell of klotz best. I don't know if it's any better or not. It's been a while since I bought some ultra so I don't even remember what it costs. I bought some dino stihl the other day for $6 for a 6 pack of 1 gallon mix. The klotz was $13 a quart so it will make about 10 gallons since I ran a gallon of 40:1 and a gallon of 32:1 just to see. I was just trying to figure out what is cheaper between the klotz and stihl ultra.

I'm sort of wandering what would be better to run in my stock 660. Klotz Original Techniplate or Stihl Ultra.

Where's Andyshine? He's sharp as a razor about oils. ......and most other stuff too.

I'm sort of wandering what would be better to run in my stock 660. Klotz Original Techniplate or Stihl Ultra.

We were running Klotz R50 until a few months ago. We are now running Maxima K2 and find it to burn a little cleaner at the 32:1 ratio we run. I also use Baileys full synthetic. Ultra is a great oil as well.

Both!

I run a mixture of HP Ultra @ 50:1 with 1oz/gal. Klotz Super Techniplate. Gotta have my Castor!!!

Last edited:
We were running Klotz R50 until a few months ago. We are now running Maxima K2 and find it to burn a little cleaner at the 32:1 ratio we run. I also use Baileys full synthetic. Ultra is a great oil as well.

Thanks Brad. K2 was what I was trying to remember.

My dealer finally convinced me to try Ultra over Stihl Dino when I bought my BR600 blower a few months ago. He claims the newer Stihl equipment carbons terribly on Dino and is much happier on Ultra. Doubling the warranty was good enough for me!

My dealer finally convinced me to try Ultra over Stihl Dino when I bought my BR600 blower a few months ago. He claims the newer Stihl equipment carbons terribly on Dino and is much happier on Ultra. Doubling the warranty was good enough for me!

From what I understand, Ultra was designed due to carbon problems with the 4-mix engine, perhaps even the BR600 itself.

Good info fella's! I have run the orange bottle for almost all my saw year's. Thought it was alway's good enough. You guy's more so recntly have aroused my curiousity about other oil. Still didn't switch had never thought I had problem's. But over my year's on this site I have learned alot about more thing's. I have alway's done my own mechainc work on everything I own, except saw carb's, and fuel line's etc. I learned how to do more on this site, and my 660 need's a carb kit. Im gonna try, and do it. I am hell on wheel's at servicing them, and filing. Today troubleshooting the 660. I pulled the muffler knowing all was good in there, but hadn't peeke'd in awhile. Everything I own all saw's, and breed's I am seeing carbon build up starting. That tell's me tried, and true orange bottle isn't good enough anymore. I am sold bought some hp ultra. Don't know why it took so long. Grew up on two stroke dirt bike's, and alway's ran, and found synthetci was the key!:msp_thumbsup:

My recent experience made me a believer in ultra and other high quality synthetic. I had been dealing with a high idle due to an air leak and found that my cylinder had worked itself loose. It must have had at least a small air leak for quite a while because when I finally discovered the problem you could pull the cylinder up a good 1/16" off the case! It not only kinda still ran like this!:msp_ohmy:. When I finally noticed the condition, the cylinder was still in good shape. I bolted it back down and it still had full compression and no scoring! I don't know for sure that it was the oil that saved me, but it sure didn't hurt.

Couldn't hurt for sure!. When I saw carbon starting on my saw's I knew there could only be one reason. Because I run top fuel, and alway's keep the filter's clean.

Back