I think I may have the early stages of this CAD you all speak of!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I think I'm getting the chainsaw bug BAD!!

While at a local chainsaw collectors shop yesterday I made the mistake of trying his early 80s 266xp and a similar vintage Jonsered 6XX (60cc to 65cc size??) saw. They were heavy and vibed more then a new saw but man did they grunt!

I shouldn't of tried those saws cause now all I can think about is getting an old 266xp for my own collection..

This is how it starts!!!

Knowing I like a 266xp is there any other similar saws any of you guys can recommend?

Oh Shitt, are you in TROUBLE, if it was a 266XP that was your Gateway Drug, I bought my 266XP in 91' and will NEVER part with it, they are EXCELLENT saws worth taking care of.

I would imagine most of the original 200 series(Not to be confused with the current 240:() saws would get your attention.

Be careful, CAD can lead to the related CSMAD (Chain Saw Milling Addiction Disorder/Disease) which can get REALLY Addictive and EXPENSIVE ;):surprised3::) ( I started a thread in Milling about CSMAD awhile back)

Good Luck, but there is NO KNOWN CURE for either affliction, the Best that you can HOPE to do, is TREAT the SYMPTOMS, the most common TREATMENT is the purchase of a saw, or cutting related gear, the Treatment dosage may vary by how Severe the current SYMPTONS are, and you will have to Self Prescribe the Required Dosage accordingly.

Doug :cheers:

This CAD thing is not the worst addiction I've had.

My wife is quite happy at the amount of firewood we now have.

I'm happy to have things to tinker with and when I'm done they're useful tools that can do work.

This week I'm going to look at a couple more saws, an 026 and 028 so I guess I have a problem!!

Yep, you DO have a Problem, you are confused as to what color saws to buy, ALL Orange is GOOD, No Orange, or Orange and Grey Not so Much ;)

I have heard RUMORS in Dark Alleys, that there are OTHER Brands of saws besides Husqvarna and Stihl, but surely that is just Hersey and Blasphemy ;):surprised3::)

I will admit (Grudgingly :)) that Stihl makes Good saws too, just don't tell anybody that I said so:D

There are actually a lot of great saws available, but I have had Great service from my Huskys, and Husqvarna makes a saw that will cover any of my needs, so I have stuck with them so far, and haven't regretted it yet.

Doug

I'd love to add some husqvarnas to the fleet but none have come up at a price I'm willing to pay.

I'm sure one will come along soon enough.

I even considered a dolmar 120si that was for sale. That looks like a nice saw.

I've posted before that I'm a stihl guy simply because theres lots of stihl dealers in my neck of the woods and no husqvarana dealers. I run stihl oil so it's easy to get it as theres one dealer that I drive past every day. They also happen to have the best price on oil that I've seen.

Theres also 20 stihl pro saws used for every 1 husqvarana pro saw.

But I'll keep my eyes peeled as I'm sure a 200 or 300 series will come up for sale.

I was 10 mins too late on a clean 359 a couple weeks ago. That would of been my first husqvarana and I would have been happy with it im sure.

I'd love to add some husqvarnas to the fleet but none have come up at a price I'm willing to pay.

I'm sure one will come along soon enough.

I even considered a dolmar 120si that was for sale. That looks like a nice saw.

I've posted before that I'm a stihl guy simply because theres lots of stihl dealers in my neck of the woods and no husqvarana dealers. I run stihl oil so it's easy to get it as theres one dealer that I drive past every day. They also happen to have the best price on oil that I've seen.

Theres also 20 stihl pro saws used for every 1 husqvarana pro saw.

But I'll keep my eyes peeled as I'm sure a 200 or 300 series will come up for sale.

I was 10 mins too late on a clean 359 a couple weeks ago. That would of been my first husqvarana and I would have been happy with it im sure.
Stihl makes a good saw, but i am primarily a Husqvarna fan. Don't be afraid to look at Makita/Dolmar also the Makita DCS6401 or 6421 are great saws for the 60cc class and the Makita/Dolmar 7900/7910 is a real eye opener. If your really wanting to try a saw that is awesome to run try to get your hands on a Solo saw. In my personal opinion the Solos have some of the best factory port designs out there. wish they had a better parts availability in the US though. the Dolmar 120si you mention is also a great 60cc saw but will be pretty heavy for the 60cc class, still worth having though. Don't know why but there always seems to be more Stihls on the market than Husqvarnas. maybe thats because everyone is selling their Stihl to buy a Husky....lol

Yep, you DO have a Problem, you are confused as to what color saws to buy, ALL Orange is GOOD, No Orange, or Orange and Grey Not so Much ;)

I have heard RUMORS in Dark Alleys, that there are OTHER Brands of saws besides Husqvarna and Stihl, but surely that is just Hersey and Blasphemy ;):surprised3::)

I will admit (Grudgingly :)) that Stihl makes Good saws too, just don't tell anybody that I said so:D

There are actually a lot of great saws available, but I have had Great service from my Huskys, and Husqvarna makes a saw that will cover any of my needs, so I have stuck with them so far, and haven't regretted it yet.

Doug
If you want to work on saws, get yourself some Huskys, if you want to cut day after day, grab your Stihls. For the record, I have both, I’m thoroughly infected!:cool:

If you want to work on saws, get yourself some Huskys, if you want to cut day after day, grab your Stihls. For the record, I have both, I’m thoroughly infected!:cool:
Most my saws are either Husky or Jonsered. I own a couple Solos and only one Stihl, a ported MS260 Pro. i will admit its my go to saw for small stuff like limbing and bucking for small stuff under 12" but if i really need to cut some wood there is no replacement for my Husky 372XPW with a 8 tooth sprocket. that thing just flies through wood!!!

Most my saws are either Husky or Jonsered. I own a couple Solos and only one Stihl, a ported MS260 Pro. i will admit its my go to saw for small stuff like limbing and bucking for small stuff under 12" but if i really need to cut some wood there is no replacement for my Husky 372XPW with a 8 tooth sprocket. that thing just flies through wood!!!
I don’t own a 372, yet! With my addiction, I’ll own or build one for my self someday, it’s a legend! :cool:

It's funny you say that. I also tend to use stihls cause I've had good service from them. I do tend to keep good care of my saws though. Minute I'm done cutting I go to the shop and blow all the crap off, then clean the air filter and follow that up with removing the bar and chain.

I know I may be a bit too anal. :)

The 260 pro I just picked up is probably going to get ported and while in there I'll check the timing and all that good stuff. I'll leave my other 260 stock and that way I can compare.

I think my 038 mag is going to get an 8 tooth to go with the 20"bar. It rips now so I'm sure it will really fly with the sprlcket change.

It's funny you say that. I also tend to use stihls cause I've had good service from them. I do tend to keep good care of my saws though. Minute I'm done cutting I go to the shop and blow all the crap off, then clean the air filter and follow that up with removing the bar and chain.

I know I may be a bit too anal. :)

The 260 pro I just picked up is probably going to get ported and while in there I'll check the timing and all that good stuff. I'll leave my other 260 stock and that way I can compare.

I think my 038 mag is going to get an 8 tooth to go with the 20"bar. It rips now so I'm sure it will really fly with the sprlcket change.
I had a 038 Mag II at one point and it was a good saw but still love my 372xpw more than any other saw i own. my current holy grail saw is a Homelite 8800 or a Homelite 2100 super. I run a 3/8" 0.50 20" B/C on my MS260 and it cuts pretty good for a 50cc saw. i really want to get a 346xp and port the **** out of it. when that happens my 260 will probably go down the road.

I had a 038 Mag II at one point and it was a good saw but still love my 372xpw more than any other saw i own. my current holy grail saw is a Homelite 8800 or a Homelite 2100 super. I run a 3/8" 0.50 20" B/C on my MS260 and it cuts pretty good for a 50cc saw. i really want to get a 346xp and port the **** out of it. when that happens my 260 will probably go down the road.
Save yourself some coin and get a 350 Husky and add a 346 cylinder to it, may take a while to wipe the smile off your face after it fires up for the first time! I’ve done 2 of them and they are impressive indeed!:p

Save yourself some coin and get a 350 Husky and add a 346 cylinder to it, may take a while to wipe the smile off your face after it fires up for the first time! I’ve done 2 of them and they are impressive indeed!:p
I like where your head is at. I have a chance to buy a 350 from a guy for $100 shipped with shot top end. might be the candidate for that. also have a 346xp locally for sale for $250. some home owner who don't know what he has....lol

Stihl makes a good saw, but i am primarily a Husqvarna fan. Don't be afraid to look at Makita/Dolmar also the Makita DCS6401 or 6421 are great saws for the 60cc class and the Makita/Dolmar 7900/7910 is a real eye opener. If your really wanting to try a saw that is awesome to run try to get your hands on a Solo saw. In my personal opinion the Solos have some of the best factory port designs out there. wish they had a better parts availability in the US though. the Dolmar 120si you mention is also a great 60cc saw but will be pretty heavy for the 60cc class, still worth having though. Don't know why but there always seems to be more Stihls on the market than Husqvarnas. maybe thats because everyone is selling their Stihl to buy a Husky....lol
LOL! I have three Stihls and an Echo pole saw. I sorta promised my wife to get rid of one to buy my 372xp. (She has me on a "buy new tool - get rid of one" - she doesn't understand.) I think she's figured out the Stihls aren't going to go... :)

LOL! I have three Stihls and an Echo pole saw. I sorta promised my wife to get rid of one to buy my 372xp. (She has me on a "buy new tool - get rid of one" - she doesn't understand.) I think she's figured out the Stihls aren't going to go... :)
what you do is go buy the 372xp and tell her you are going to sell one of the other saws and list that sucker for like $2k....lol....that way your making an effort to sell it.....lol

yup seems like you going down the rabbit hole....my first real saw was a stihl but branched out....the husky 2 series is nice cause you can do a lot with them and husky/jonney makes a wide range of saws with rigid intake blocks that makes for a pretty simple design and not quite as much rubber as some other brands....its a fun hobby with a useful edge if you use or have a reason to cut wood....

good luck

Guess I just take better care of my saws ;):), My 266XP is 27 years old, and all it has ever needed was a few new plugs, and the chains sharpened/replaced as needed. The ONLY time my 266 has been to the shop was when I bought it, and it hasn't been back since.

As far as cutting wood all day long, it has never let me down, never had a Stihl, because I never needed one, my 266 will keep up with any 67cc size Stock Stihl around.

I have heard Great things about the 372XP's, almost the cult following that the 346XP has. The 372XP is on my "Gonna Get Me One of those Someday" list, but a 395XP fills the void between the 266xp and the 3120xp a lot better.

The 353 is a pretty well kept secret, maybe not quite a 346xp, but I find mine to be a Damn handy saw to have around, as is the little 23 Compact Top Handle, which was my second saw, the 266xp and 23 Compact made a Great 2 saw plan for a quarter of a Century, I'm still not sure how I avoided CAD that long, I guess I just picked 2 Winners, that did what I needed, and very well at that.

THEN, I found AS, and you guys were a BADDDD Influence, NOW I have SEVERE cases of CAD, and CSMAD;):surprised3::)

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back