I think its a 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a Stihl saw that is missing the top cover and i was told it was a 034 how can i tell so i can get a cover?

Send an email to [email protected] with the serial number of the saw. They will ID it for you and give you the year of production (I think this relies upon the original dealer registering the saw at the time of the sale).

show pics also the 034 had front adjust for the chain and the 036 had side adjust

I have slow dial up and it would be faster and easyer to drive to a saw shop thats a hour away. I thought maybe there was a number some were on the saw or something. I will look at the adjuster. I need a top cover for this saw.

if you see if side or front adjust it will be the tell tell sign

My 034S has the chain adjuster by the bar studs as well.

I have a top cover. It's missing the badge but in decent shape overall. Pm me if your interested and just want it functioning.

Look for a part number. Underneith the rear handle. Should be 1125 XXX XXX. That way you'd know it's either a 034 or 036.

Ill take a picture of mine and you Can compare

Did All the 034 ave side chain adj?

Sorry if I'm ignorant.

I know the 028 had both.
sorry, don't know. I've had my 034's for many years, and my son has one too. All four have side screw adjusters between the studs.
They have all been very satisfactory, one is a super, one I bought seized up and I upgraded the cylinder/piston to the larger size which makes it effectively an 036, and one, my favorite, swallowed one of the little brass screws that holds the carbeurator butterfly plates on the shaft three years ago, and I upgraded it to the larger cylinder/piston also. A seamless addition BTW.
simonmeridew

I got a Stihl saw that is missing the top cover and i was told it was a 034 how can i tell so i can get a cover?

The side of the cylinder will have the bore cast into it.

46mm=034, 340
48mm=034 Super, 036, 360.

If it is an early 034 it might have a constructed rod instead of a one piece forged.

The side of the cylinder will have the bore cast into it.

46mm=034, 340
48mm=034 Super, 036, 360.

If it is an early 034 it might have a constructed rod instead of a one piece forged.

Hmmm will have to check a few, never noticed the 034 vs 036 stamps, the 034 have the tit that hangs down on the intake, mahle and Klob are marked, no tits on a 036

Hmmm will have to check a few, never noticed the 034 vs 036 stamps, the 034 have the tit that hangs down on the intake, mahle and Klob are marked, no tits on a 036

After I posted it occurred to me that while I have seen the 48 recently I have not seen the 46. So I just went out a pulled a box down.

Out of 8 cylinders-

4 were clearly labeled 48 and were 48, no tit.
3 were not labeled with bore at least not readable, all were 48, no tit.
1 was not labeled for bore at all but as you mentioned it did have the tit and bore measured at 46.
I was not able to find one of the newer 340 cylinders, do not remember if they have the tit.

In conclusions the aforementioned "tit" in the intake in a much more reliable indicator of the 46mm bore than the casting markings. Good call.

Edit to add that it would require the removal of the cylinder to read some of the castings.

After I posted it occurred to me that while I have seen the 48 recently I have not seen the 46. So I just went out a pulled a box down.

Out of 8 cylinders-

4 were clearly labeled 48 and were 48, no tit.
3 were not labeled with bore at least not readable, all were 48, no tit.
1 was not labeled for bore at all but as you mentioned it did have the tit and bore measured at 46.
I was not able to find one of the newer 340 cylinders, do not remember if they have the tit.

In conclusions the aforementioned "tit" in the intake in a much more reliable indicator of the 46mm bore than the casting markings. Good call.

Edit to add that it would require the removal of the cylinder to read some of the castings.

038 have the tit too, not sure if port timing and ring placement have to do about it. I'm not a porter, but do clean things up

Latest posts

Back