I thought i was good at sharpening a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my chain looked like, I would have thrown it away long ago. Holy cow where'd your chain go?!

Find someone near you who sharpens chain really well. Pick up a few of their favorite beverages of choice. Go for a visit and watch and listen how they sharpen chains. Pick up some good habits and techniques they have. Nothing beats better than watching and listening to someone who already knows what you are trying to figure out. Take some beef jerky too, everyone likes jerky.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Mike's that guy...
Make mine peppered please...

If my chain looked like, I would have thrown it away long ago. Holy cow where'd your chain go?!

Find someone near you who sharpens chain really well. Pick up a few of their favorite beverages of choice. Go for a visit and watch and listen how they sharpen chains. Pick up some good habits and techniques they have. Nothing beats better than watching and listening to someone who already knows what you are trying to figure out. Take some beef jerky too, everyone likes jerky.

So, this is one of those times when you didn't have the appropriate amount of information on a subject -- & when you spoke up -- you looked like a fool.

Not saying you're a bad guy. . . But your statements were incredibly off base and totally wrong.

You should be asking him for filing advice pard, not the other way around.

Got this one the other day, have not used it a lot but what I can tell, I'm going to like it.

A lot of guys have posted here on AS that they like those (both the old and new version). I have never tried one, but assume that they are all made by Pferd.

I would be really interested in hearing your comments as you use it. One of the questions I have is how much it lets you customize your chain - e.g. does it only work at set angles and depth gauge settings or can you adjust those? If you want more 'hook' (a topic of conversation around here) does it allow that? Can you get the 10* 'dwon angle' with those? Etc.

Thanks.

Philbert

A lot of guys have posted here on AS that they like those (both the old and new version). I have never tried one, but assume that they are all made by Pferd.

I would be really interested in hearing your comments as you use it. One of the questions I have is how much it lets you customize your chain - e.g. does it only work at set angles and depth gauge settings or can you adjust those? If you want more 'hook' (a topic of conversation around here) does it allow that? Can you get the 10* 'dwon angle' with those? Etc.

Thanks.

Philbert
The files in it are not adjustable, I suppose you could tilt it any way you wanted while filing. I use it like it says and it makes the chain cut good. which I am not a racer or a logger. just an old firewood cutter.

l think Pferd came up with the design originally and others have rebranded/copied it. l like Pferd both the smooth and coarse cut files. Prefer them to save edge but
both good files IMO. If you really like getting your chains sharp its nice to have two different coarse files. Not many stock or realise Pferd offer this. Their square chisel files are nice too.

when it gets dull i give it 6-7 laps per tooth till it is sharp again. i use whatever my dealer can get.

Thanks.

Philbert
Belated post to this thread. I have been using the Pferd (yes, they make it for Stihl) 2 in 1 for several years now. Used properly, it beats the cutting speed of a brand new chain. (I use Stihl RS chain exclusively). It is quick to use (about 5 seconds per tooth if you don't let it get too dull), but it is not mistake proof. My biggest problem is I tend to grind harder on one side than the other. I try to compensate by using a couple more stroked on my weak side. A better way would be to use calipers to make sure all the teeth are the same length. If you do that, the rakers will all be at the same depth also. It is not adjustable. The tooth geometry is pre-set for the chain it is designed for (yes, you need a different one for each size and kind of chain you use). For the Stihl 3/8" RS, for example, the filing angle is 30 degrees and the raker depth is 0.026". The tooth has a pretty optimal edge angle and hook, in my opinion. Expert manual sharpeners can probably do better. But I guarantee they will spend more time doing the sharpening. I would rather be cutting than sharpening, and the Pferd system is better than factory sharpness. Good enough for me.

Back