I want in! +1st achievement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
incredible!

Sounds like this kid has passion. A fire in his belly. We could use more of this in the industry. Hopefully the bad advice given will inspire him to prove you wrong. We need to get more young kids in this line of work, train them up, and give them the knowledge they need to advance the science and techniques of Arboriculture. What's wrong, man? Afraid theres not enough "tree cuttin" to go around? You going to get replaced by some kid?
Robert, the most useful advice i can manage is to stay on track, take your time, and learn how to do this work safely and efficiently. Study and practice. One can dedicate their entire life to learn about climbing and trees and still not be able to learn everything they wanted. Some people study this stuff their whole lives. Whatever makes you happy, as long as noone gets hurt. Right?

Robert....good luck! & I mean it, if you find the right teacher & learn this trade you can have a nice sideline.

As for the Masters Degree, I feel sorry for your generation, spend a ton of money on a pigskin & the pay back takes forever, My Daughter is doing the same Robert....So I know what you`re going through.

Most of all..... do what you love, you will have days that you get tired of it, but have fun, smile & make as much as you can & above all...... BE SAFE!

Take care.

LXT...................

This university of yours have a forestry program? Go talk to someone in the program and get some more info and direction. You may be able to take a couple of classes on climbing and basic arboriculture, woody plant ID, horticulture, etc to help improve the 'book smarts' or at least find out who might be a good mentor to work under to learn some of the basic stuff and, yes, the aforementioned is all 'basic' stuff that any tree-care person should learn. You can't know how or when to prune a tree if you can't properly identify it and understand its biology.

Also, remember, tree care is a business and not just a blue-collar trade that anyone can just jump into and be successfull by way of ambition alone. If you want to succeed, you should know a little something about running a business so a basic course in business management wouldn't hurt either. How to run a business is difficult to teach yourself unless you learn the hard way by making a lot of mistakes. Such mistakes can cost a lot of money. If you're wanting to minimize your initial start-up costs, talking with others and learning about wise business management decisions will help you to make the right decisions and help prevent costly mistakes (like good advertising vs bad and sound capital investments vs shaky ones).

Finally, no better way to learn the skills than to get hands-on training from someone who is both skillfull and ETHICAL in the trade. Skill is just one part of arboriculture. Ethics (doing what is in the best interest of your client, his property and his trees) is something that a lot of folks in this trade are lacking and it's what gives this trade a black eye. I think that's where a lot of guys in this forum come off offended by so many 'newbies' wanting to come into the trade without the proper training or background. New guys come in and hack up trees for a quick cheap buck and make experienced arborists look bad and seem overpriced compared to the new guy's low prices. We don't need any more of that. Believe it or not, ethics will make you more money in the long run than just low-balling jobs to get as much work as possible.

This trade needs energetic young folks like yourself but only ones that have the skills and knowledge to be ethical and professional. You've got the drive, now get the skills before you take the leap to run your own business. Trust me - I jumped into running my own business straight out of college with both arboriculture and landscape architecture degrees. Even with degrees in the field, I didn't have enough field experience to be ready to run my own business. After 25 years, i feel pretty capable today but I really regret not having worked for a reputable arboricultural firm prior to starting my own business. SO SO MUCH that I had to learn the hard way including business management, sales and ethics. The only thing (or person) that saved me was having John Ball, professor of forestry at South Dakota State University, as a mentor both in school and all throughout my business career. What an incredible resource he has been to me in both learning the trade and in making sound business decisions. Find a 'John Ball' in your area and you'll do alright.

I agree with everyone who suggested finding a mentor to work under. Just make sure he or she is a reputable mentor! Ask around. My 2 cents. Good luck and welcome to an unbelievably tough yet incredibly satisfying trade. :)

Last edited:
Sure they definitely have a forestry program at my school (Murray State University). As many random fill-in classes that I've taken I've always regretted not really taking any classes in that. I live in the Shawnee National Forest and knew that they would probably come in handy some day.. I will look into squeezing a class or two in soon. I actually did take a climbing class as an elective but it was pretty basic and mostly had to do with belaying off of rocks, although it did help me get accustomed to some rigging.

I am actually a business education major..which doesn't have much to do with running a business other than background- sort of like learning the tree basics before going into the field, but I have grown up knowing the ins and outs of small business. My family has owned 5 or 6 small businesses since I was little and I've worked inside and out every which way from deling with angry customers to pricing to bookwork and capital investment, and you are right a person can go reaaally just dump their business on the spot without the proper business knowledge no matter how much they know about aboriculture.

Also- right on with the ethics. I have seen people in the same field of business as my own and my family's do some ridiculous things just to get in and get out or skim the money off the top somehow. If you take care of your customer like they should be and they know it, you are really setting your business in stone. Especially in a relatively small town like mine. Cut people short and you're cutting your own throat, let alone the fact that it's just wrong. I've had several people with my property service business try to get me to do things in a manner that would make it easier on me not even expecting any break in cost but I refuse because I only believe in delivering quality work for my own sake and theirs. Talk about gaining customer respect..

As I said I will continue to seek out guidance before sticking my hands into anything, and I thank everyone again for reminding me to keep my feet firm on the ground. At least until someone teaches me how to get off in a safe and effective manner :)

wait

till you have a tree get away from ya. a real good one tears something up. then see if you still wanna get in . i play at some cutting but will not hesitate to drop back 5 yards and punt to a pro if the tree is beyond me and quite a few are. i ussually just pay to have it put on the ground then do the scut work myself

no doubt man, when I first started really cutting firewood I had this odd and BIG limb that fell and was caught in the crotch of a tree about head high. I couldn't budge it from the crotch pushing on it with poles or any other method because of where it was, so I left it and went on bucking beside it. For whatever reason it decided to dislodge itself about 15 minutes later and hit beside me, flipped up and hit me hard enough to graze my chest but still knock me back about 5 feet. I have a scar across my chest still from where a stob raked it. A different angle and I would have been schiskyed right there on the spot. That was my first (and only so far) close call, and let me tell you that was the day the respect came.

I guess you were probably talking about felling going bad, haven't had that happen yet but having anything with that much force slipping out of your control is heart dropping, even if it doesn't hurt a thing. I do pass on jobs all the time that I don't feel comfortable with, but for some reason I never though about hiring out to have it dropped then taking up the rest of the work..:bang:

Last edited:
Oh God another..... I want to do tree work guys!! 1st off I doubt the "goliath" you dropped was any thing difficult!!! 2nd the height is probably a little off??? 3rd......you are putting the cart before the horse, get a job and apprentice with someone for 2-4yrs & then you`ll be almost ready with alot more learning to come...

where do these guys come from? they do 1 tree & wanna start a biz or think they can do it???? LOL

stay in school, its alot safer, cleaner & will probably pay you better!!

LXT...............
attachment.php
Geeze dude, chill out.

no doubt man, when I first started really cutting firewood I had this odd and BIG limb that fell and was caught in the crotch of a tree about head high. I couldn't budge it from the crotch pushing on it with poles or any other method because of where it was, so I left it and went on bucking beside it. For whatever reason it decided to dislodge itself about 15 minutes later and hit beside me, flipped up and hit me hard enough to graze my chest but still knock me back about 5 feet. I have a scar across my chest still from where a stob raked it. A different angle and I would have been schiskyed right there on the spot. That was my first (and only so far) close call, and let me tell you that was the day the respect came.

I do pass on jobs all the time that I don't feel comfortable with, but for some reason I never though about hiring out to have it dropped then taking up the rest of the work..:bang:

Really? Are you saying that you never had to hire a top notch, take care of you, worth every dime? You do know that you could call one of us Cool climbers to come and help! Dude, just bid it in, don't pass on it, Do it!
Jeff :)

Really? Are you saying that you never had to hire a top notch, take care of you, worth every dime? You do know that you could call one of us Cool climbers to come and help! Dude, just bid it in, don't pass on it, Do it!
Jeff :)

Well played Jeff. Also a perfect way to get hooked up with an experienced climber to work with!

I started climbing 15 years ago to fill in the gaps from logging. I kinda had a start by learning from loggers about falling trees and working on saws. I thought I knew more than I did. Loggers fall a tree in a direction. In tree service you work within inches all day. Cutting a tree on the ground and cutting a tree while tied to it is very different. Though it can be learned.

I started my tree service out with a saw, Jeep with a winch and 16 ft. trailer Everything I made I put back in the business while logging. I still regularly work with other tree services and learn at every opportunity. Someone who knows it all, doesn't. I'm never too proud to ask questions. If I see a tree service I always stop and get to know them. There are tree services who are scared that you will take their business but that only hurts them.

The ones that are friendly to me have helped me and in turn I have helped them. I climb for three other tree services regularly, plus run my own full time service. The ones that act like they dont want you around, just leave them alone but be nice to them. They WILL need something someday. It takes years to get your business where it can support itself, but it will if youre smart with your decisions and never leave a customer unhappy, ever. Badmouthing from a customer will ruin your business faster than anything. Work with someone who is already in the business and knows what they are doing. Always learn.

Last edited:
I don't know if his original question got answered or not. For an ISA Arborist certification you need 3 years full time exp. in the field (and support your claim), 3 written recommendations from others in the field, to pass the written exam (takes plenty of study), pass the tree i.d. exam, and pay the annual fee. Then you get the little sticker!

Latest posts

Back