I want to buy a outdoor wood burner. Any recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydodgegeek

The stool maker
Reaction score
Hello fellow wood cutters. I have some questions on out door wood burners. I want to install one this summer. I am wondering what kind to buy, where to get them, and how much do they cost. My house is roughly 2000 sq ft and I also want to heat my shop that is 30x40. I am thinking I could perhaps install it myself with some help from friends and family and maybe some af my fellow AS'ers. I live in east central Minnesota and really havent looked into this much yet. Anyone have any recommendations?

Send JD (aka grandpatractor) a pm.....he's around your area and heats his house and shop with one......he'll get you up to speed!

What ever you do....spend the money upfront on high quality under ground lines....or you'll be loosing all of your heat to the earth...and melting snow...

If you have a bit of land....check out earth tubes.....(internet search)

I fired up a Crown Royal on New Years Day and I'm happy with it and they are made in Minnesota.

Several things to consider up front. First, what, if any, regulations does your state have in place? That may dictate the type of burner you must get (ie. gasification). Second, if regs don't limit your choice, then do you want to burn any/all wood or only seasoned wood? You need seasoned wood for the gasification units to work properly. You can burn larger logs and unseasoned wood in a basic/standard boiler. Third, do you want a basic damper or fan operated air intake? Fourth, standard or dual fuel?

I have a Central Boiler Classic 6048 Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnaces I'm in my 9th season with it. I love it. 4 guys have bought the 6048 after seeing mine operate. 1 guy went with a different company for the fan operated air intake.

If I replaced mine I'd strongly consider the Portage and Main Gasification unit. Wood Gasification Water Furnaces | Boilers I'd struggle with the decision, but would probably stick with the Central Boiler unit because I like being able to burn large logs and don't want to worry about moisture content. I can burn anything in my boiler. It can be dry or dripping wet or covered in snow and ice. If it fits through the door opening, then I burn it. With a gasification unit I would have to burn smaller logs that were split and seasoned and stored under cover. My wood sits outside, uncovered. I can cut a live tree and start burning it right away; no waiting for it to season.

Lots to consider. Buy the best you can afford and don't skimp. Do it right and do it once. You will recoup your investment many times over.

Several things to consider up front. First, what, if any, regulations does your state have in place? That may dictate the type of burner you must get (ie. gasification). Second, if regs don't limit your choice, then do you want to burn any/all wood or only seasoned wood? You need seasoned wood for the gasification units to work properly. You can burn larger logs and unseasoned wood in a basic/standard boiler. Third, do you want a basic damper or fan operated air intake? Fourth, standard or dual fuel?

I have a Central Boiler Classic 6048 Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnaces I'm in my 9th season with it. I love it. 4 guys have bought the 6048 after seeing mine operate. 1 guy went with a different company for the fan operated air intake.

If I replaced mine I'd strongly consider the Portage and Main Gasification unit. Wood Gasification Water Furnaces | Boilers I'd struggle with the decision, but would probably stick with the Central Boiler unit because I like being able to burn large logs and don't want to worry about moisture content. I can burn anything in my boiler. It can be dry or dripping wet or covered in snow and ice. If it fits through the door opening, then I burn it. With a gasification unit I would have to burn smaller logs that were split and seasoned and stored under cover. My wood sits outside, uncovered. I can cut a live tree and start burning it right away; no waiting for it to season.

Lots to consider. Buy the best you can afford and don't skimp. Do it right and do it once. You will recoup your investment many times over.

I wonder how much less wood a Gasification unit would burn?

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I was up late last night researching different brands. I will have to see if there are restrictions as to which kind I can have.

With a gasification unit I would have to burn smaller logs that were split and seasoned and stored under cover. My wood sits outside, uncovered. I can cut a live tree and start burning it right away; no waiting for it to season.

Mine is a gasser and I'm burning upsplit rounds in it. The directions reccomended them, but as this is my first winter I split a lot of the wood just in case. I'll be doing a lot less splitting for next years wood. With the unsplit rounds the burn time is longer and I think there is less ash. I've only been running it for a month so I'm still learning.

Andy,

I can tell you that regulations-wise for us is pretty much non-existent. Being 5 miles from you, I can tell you that the homemade unit at my place smokes a good bit, and the black crown vics with EPA on the side haven't shown up. Might be an issue if you are in downtown Harris next door to town hall or Heartbreakers :eek2:

Insurance stuff may be an issue if you put it inside a building (barn/garage) but mine is free-standing.

Definitely do a good insulated piping system. I replaced mine this fall because the old stuff was NOT good. Had a 2' swatch of no snow to the house every year until this one.

Do a good water treatment. Our water here sucks.

I am seriously considering building a new OWB. Mine is 15-20 years old, and I think I can do some improvements to what I have. I figure that if I fab something up myself, I will be done by the time the current one "buys the farm" in a few seasons. If you can part with the ~ $10K to get a store bought (or more), then by all means. I guess I am just too damn cheap :laugh:

I had a hell of time this winter getting my system back online this fall (was down for a couple seasons for various reasons). Right now it is working, albeit not 100% of what it should be, so this spring I have to do some reconfiguration to really resolve the remaining issues (move pump to boiler & run second pair of lines). Couple of fellas on here were VERY helpful with resolving some of my issues, and an HVAC fella in Pine City helped me do some diagnostics to figure out the remaining issues. Was a learning curve, but I am pretty comfortable with it now.

I have a central boiler and love it. One thing to consider is how close are you to the business you're buying it from. Central boiler has been good to me for warranty had to get a new door and had it in 2 days no questions asked. They also sent me a pump on accident because there are is another guy that owns a CB with the same name. Told me if i could use it just keep it, heck yes!!! DO NOT skimp on the underground pipe, I helped a friend install a boiler and he bought some pipe over the internet, I told him to go with the central boiler pipe because its good stuff. I was over there this weekend and the snow was melted, gave him the I told you so talk he's losing alot of heat.

one suggestion I will give you do your home work . check out as many different models as you can.I have a Empyre amd I am very satisfied Do not be cheep on the underground piping you get what pay for in that department. crown royal seems to be a decent model. if it is in your budget go for a stainless model. where are you in NY? and good luck.

Hi Andy-

We've had our Central Boiler 7 years and we love it. Doesn't matter if the wood is wet or big chunks. Very efficient. It heats the house, garage and hot water for the house. We're heating roughly 4500 sq. feet with no problem and our stove size is a 5648. Bought our stove in Somerset, WI and installed it ourselves. Pretty easy. If you want, you can catch up to me at the One Shot Ranch (Boyd).

Good luck,
Wayne

Hi Andy-

We've had our Central Boiler 7 years and we love it. Doesn't matter if the wood is wet or big chunks. Very efficient. It heats the house, garage and hot water for the house. We're heating roughly 4500 sq. feet with no problem and our stove size is a 5648. Bought our stove in Somerset, WI and installed it ourselves. Pretty easy. If you want, you can catch up to me at the One Shot Ranch (Boyd).

Good luck,
Wayne

Sounds good. Seems as though I am going to be trying to do about the same size as you.

Back