I want to buy a *REALLY* good chainsaw. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a really good saw. I'm not really looking for a good deal, but rather a really good saw. I want it to be very powerful, very well built, and durable.

For example, if this were a power tool, I'd want it to be a Milwaukee. I might consider a Dewalt, but nothing less. (Not even Ryobi, and certainly not black and decker and don't even think about the "HF" word!!).

I would like this saw to be super-powerful and not bog down but at the same time, not be too heavy.

Right now, I have a little Stihl 021 chain saw (which for what it is,...size, price, weight) is a pretty capable little saw. However, I am now looking for a *real* powerful saw...Btw, can you get a real powerful saw that is not too heavy?, or is that mutually exclusive?.

The only wood we have to cut is smaller in size. Usually no more than 12'' at best. Our wood is also usually very soft (pine and aspen), however, I may be able to locate some smaller oak (6-8'').

So, what is the best made, most powerful chain saw that is not too heavy?. Remember, it does'nt have to be too big (bar length) as our trees are not too large.

Husky 346...Husky 353...Dolmar 5100S...Stihl MS260Pro. 16" bar and 325 chain. All professional quality saws that are more than capable of breezing through 12" softwood and hardwood.

drop down to the chainsaw forum and do some searches. Gobs of information down there.

Ian

Last edited:
A sharp chain quintuples the perceived power of a chainsaw. Be sure you master basic chain sharpening before you jump to a bigger saw thinking that will solve your bogging problems. Haywood listed some very nice saws for your applications.

Lots of good choices out there, and everyone has their favorite.

I just got my Dolmar 5100s and I love it. The saw is fast and light. For the money, I couldn't beat it. Although, if not for the $$$ difference I think there would be an MS361 in the garage.

Back