I want to fix my Poulan 3400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tec498

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I want to make my Poulan 3400 a little better and that shouldn't be hard to do. Right now it has a 20" Tilton bar and a chain that looks way to big for it to pull on there. I want to get a new bar and chain for it but I have no idea what to buy. I want to run a 20" bar if that will work ok but an 18" would be fine too. Can I run a 3/8 chain with a 20" bar or is that pushing it? Also, there are screws for the bucking spike (which I have) broken off in the holes so I can't put the spike on right now :shout:. I don't have any experience drilling out screws. Will I need a special bit and is it hard to do? The broken screws are about 1/4" down in the holes. Since the chain on the saw looks so big right now if I do go to a smaller chain will I need to change the sprocket? How hard is that to do on these saws?

Get ya a oregon bar and chain from baileys. It will pull a 20" bar, i dunno if you can put a smaller chain on it on. You would have to find a different sprocket for .325. Get an easy out from Napa or something for your broken bolts.

Get ya a oregon bar and chain from baileys. It will pull a 20" bar, i dunno if you can put a smaller chain on it on. You would have to find a different sprocket for .325. Get an easy out from Napa or something for your broken bolts.

I prefer a smaller B&C for the 3400. I like a 16in bar but it will pull a 20. 3/8 pitch is the standard for all Countervibes and if you get a 20 in Oregon bar you'll need a 70 drive link chain and 66 for an 18 in bar and 60 for a 16..

I have a 3400 here with a 16" B&C and would swap it for your 20" setup. Now go grab that Homie 360 for me so we have a need to get together. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back