I was given a MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lucky day for me! I was given a 460 mag, it had been run over. The long block is in great shape! The tank and plastics are shot. I searched the Bay, no parts saws. How hard is it to find a parts donor? What parts from 044, 440 or 046 will work on it?

Oh yea, the guy gave a 029 super also, needs a heli-coil and some small parts. It was a good day!

Thanks, Ron

OK Bowtie, Pics

Here are a few pics after I started taking the 460 apart. Pulled the muffler, looked in the intake. LIKE NEW!!
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

The price was right!

I am wandering if I should put this back together, or part it out. What do you guys think? What would you do if this landed in your lap? What is a 460 long block worth? It looks great, looking in the ports.

Thanks, Ron

I have a 440 that got run over by a bucket truck. Figured over $300 in used parts off ebay to fix it but there are a ton o' parts for them on there.

Never payed much attention but now that you mention it I didn't see many for the 460.

You got it at the right price though. +1 for shelving it 'til you find the parts to put it back together. Might not take too long since you posted it on here!!:clap:

Good luck,

Fred

Yep, I thought about parting it. The thought of having a nice 460 for a couple Benjamans has made me think again. I think I will hang on to it, getting parts as they come by. It would be very nice to have a Kicka$$ 460, and the price can't be beat. I have a 25" bar I can slap on it.

Would that 25" bar be OK with a full comp chain on it? I mostly cut pine, but if you saw Joesawyers post with that big Black Oak, you can see I have access to some biguns around here.

nice snag!!

20in bar is my favorite for 046... but a 25in bar balances nicely too.

another vote for putting 460 back to life... take your time... a parts saw will come along...

046, 460 parts

Anyone have anything they want to sell?

Lakeside, did you find a tank?

These are not as common as 044 on the 'bay. Come on guys, quit hoarding all the parts. I have some parts to trade also, if anybody is interested in that.

Also, looking for parts for an 029 Super. 290, 310, 390 and 039 parts will work. Need an air filter cover, front handle, sprocket and cover. I have some 028 and 020T parts, and some Poulan 3400 parts for trade.

Thanks, Ron

Does it look Like I had time to look? ;)

Easy job.. Valve cover gasket... injector seals. Can't take more then few hours... grrrr..... $134 for a bunch of o-rings / seals and two gaskets.
attachment.php

Truck all back togther, new oil filter, oil, plugs, fuel filter... and.... ARGGHHH ANOTHER frig'in vacuum leak. Tear it all down... 3 hours later I get to see it - inlet maifold gasket. Oh... Mazda says - take out the engine, its easier... sure...

attachment.php

So.. this is how it stands as at 7pm tonight... Waiting for another gold plated gasket.

attachment.php

Seriously.. yes, i'll try to look for the tank tomorrow...

Does it look Like I had time to look? ;)

Easy job.. Valve cover gasket... injector seals. Can't take more then few hours... grrrr..... $134 for a bunch of o-rings / seals and two gaskets.
attachment.php

Truck all back togther, new oil filter, oil, plugs, fuel filter... and.... ARGGHHH ANOTHER frig'in vacuum leak. Tear it all down... 3 hours later I get to see it - inlet maifold gasket. Oh... Mazda says - take out the engine, its easier... sure...

attachment.php

So.. this is how it stands as at 7pm tonight... Waiting for another gold plated gasket.

attachment.php

Seriously.. yes, i'll try to look for the tank tomorrow...

Hey Andy, did your toolbox explode or did you give it a kick?:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back