IBC Totes -- Firewood system upgrade!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If used outside that plastic tank is going to get brittle and crack eventually. The tanks are big but you are not covering a log splitter with them unless you make side cutouts. Plus if you live in wind country you will have to find a way to anchor them down otherwise they are tumbling across the barren cropland.

I was given 8 of them for free and was going to make raised garden beds. That is alot of soil and the effort to cut them up etc. I sold them for $10 a piece. But I can see cutting the top off and using to hold something.
I'm in the process of making raised bed with mine. Not difficult at all to cut with a circular saw. Not brittle at all with age. Same material (HDPE) that plastic barrels are made from. Last for years.
IMG_1274.jpg
Just cut the solid sides off and recycle the middle with valve and cap.

I can't imagine getting 1/3 cord into a tote. I've stacked a 4 x 8' row into a 8' full sized truck bed with a truck box (6 foot plus usable) and call it a pickup load.

Solid sides would work better for covers.
You mentioned before, what's popple?
I am not that good at judging never have been. However, everyone that markets firewood ALWAYS over estimates how much you are getting or delivering. I am going to guess that is the same for anywhere.
Yea no problem, we're just trying to get some splitter $ saved up to get a bigger splitter. We have a lot of popple and maple on site, temps are still to warm to have people thinking firewood I guess.
Yeah which has always baffled me. I will never understand for the life of me why people wait until last minute to buy firewood. It is not like it is a inflation thing either. My father was one of the most responsible men around but he always procrastinated on the firewood and we were always left burning green wood. Those are the two major things (at least around here) the wood is never seasoned and never a full cord. I try to get my wood in at least around early Spring. That is what I will be burning here soon. Most people split the wood right into the back of their truck or trailer. It was never split or stacked beforehand.

I'm in the process of making raised bed with mine. Not difficult at all to cut with a circular saw. Not brittle at all with age. Same material (HDPE) that plastic barrels are made from. Last for years.
The ones I am suppose to be getting had motor oil and coolant in them. So not the worst thing. Just not sure if I can or should use them for anything. One person here (sorry cannot remember who it was right now) said they cut the plastic sides off and use them to cover the tote which seems pretty smart to me. Just whether or not I will be using them depends on how gross the insides are I guess.

The ones I am suppose to be getting had motor oil and coolant in them. So not the worst thing. Just not sure if I can or should use them for anything. One person here (sorry cannot remember who it was right now) said they cut the plastic sides off and use them to cover the tote which seems pretty smart to me. Just whether or not I will be using them depends on how gross the insides are I guess.
Yea, I wouldn't use those for raised bed either. Too hard to remove the oil residue and the coolant, though possibly water soluble, might be the wrong kind.

If you happen to remember I would love to hear how it goes regardless. If you remember and you have the time shoot me a message sometime, I would really appreciate it.
My dad sold his first tote of firewood, mostly a maple popple mix 50/50 we have 2 rows at 16" to the top and fill the gap left with wood. My dad said the guy seemed real happy.

I can't imagine getting 1/3 cord into a tote. I've stacked a 4 x 8' row into a 8' full sized truck bed with a truck box (6 foot plus usable) and call it a pickup load.

When I measure the volume on the inside a 275 gallon IBC cage I get .38 of a cord. But with rounded corners I round down to 1/3 of a cord. Also that makes the "how many cords did I burn" math easier.

As I said before, that sounds cheap for 1/3 cord. A local guy around here sells totes of firewood as fast as he can split it (green?) for over $100.
Just a little cheap imo. I can go and pick up full hardwood cords across town for $165.00, get it delivered all day from multiple places for around $200.00. Most any of the places would be more then happy to prove your getting a full cord. One guy in particular down in Manheim, you actually get a little over a cord when you pay for delivery and him to stack it.

When I measure the volume on the inside a 275 gallon IBC cage I get .38 of a cord. But with rounded corners I round down to 1/3 of a cord. Also that makes the "how many cords did I burn" math easier.
What is the inside dimensions of the tote?

50$ I forget to mention

Yeah not to offend but it does sound cheap. You look at the prices of things nowadays and it just is not worth it. So I am guessing they pick the wood up themselves? I think Poplar is a lighter wood that is good for burning. The guy I have been buying it off of has a mix of a lot of stuff. He sold me two cords earlier this year for $400 and the wood is never seasoned and never a full 2 cords. Like I have said before though, no one that we have ever bought from sells true seasoned firewood or the amount they say. My father taught me this a long time ago.

So I have a regular cab with an 8' bed on it and the truck is a 1500 so I need to be careful of overloading. Having that said, if I fill the bed up loosely with firewood possibly going a little above the bed, how much would some of you guys sell that for? There are guys around here that sell "truck loads" of firewood and they charge $100+ with a short bed. They also never specify that either. I know for a fact the one guy only has a crew cab truck with a 5-6' bed. It is possible he is using someone else's truck but I highly doubt it. Anyway does that mean I should sell a truck load out of my truck for $125+ or more? Especially considering I have oak, cherry and mostly ash wood?

Yea a mix of maple and popple which is a type of Aspen, most guys leave it on the ground. Oak is king at $60-80 a face cord.
That seems very reasonable on Oak. I am hoping to be able to convince my brother to see my way of thinking on some jobs coming up. We were talking at Thanksgiving and it looks like there are some pretty good Walnut an White Oak jobs coming up this winter. They are going to be with in a few miles of home. Of course all of that will go straight to the mill. I would like to convince him to bid a few pennies on some of the scrub species that will be in the way of cutting the better stuff. There will be a bunch. We have a spare skidder and now a log truck that will de dedicated to just local hauling. We have a poo ton of boilers to keep fired so why not pay the landowner a bit for scrub that needs removed anyway.

Yea we have quite a bit of popple on site from when we cleared his land to build his house and pole barn. There's still 15-20 big popple logs left to split and buck. Anywhere from 25-50+' long. We learned one thing is that even bucked into 10' saw logs we stockpiled 2-3 years ago the popple moisture reading in the center was in the high 40% range for f the bucked and split wood.

Yea we have quite a bit of popple on site from when we cleared his land to build his house and pole barn. There's still 15-20 big popple logs left to split and buck. Anywhere from 25-50+' long. We learned one thing is that even bucked into 10' saw logs we stockpiled 2-3 years ago the popple moisture reading in the center was in the high 40% range for f the bucked and split wood.
That is one of the reasons I disagree with folks that are using moisture meters on firewood.

That is one of the reasons I disagree with folks that are using moisture meters on firewood.
Yea the ends of the splits were around 15% and it wasn't burning worth a 💩 in his pleasant hearth 2200sq ft stove. I told him to split a split and check that so he did and you could see the wood was wet and the meter confirmed that. Even if the cheapo meter was off some it was still in the no go range.

Folks do not realize how slow wood dries. They do not realize that moisture meters cannot accurately detect moisture below a small depth.

Folks need to go take a look at lumber and prices. Of course most are not using hardwood lumber that is not kiln dried but take a peek. The mill is closed for the day so I cannot get real prices. The going rate used to be about $2.50 per bd/ft on 4/4 RO. If you wanted 8/4 it would be close to $4/bd/ft It takes a lot longer in the kiln to dry 8/4. Now do take a look at the wood pile. What is the thickest of what folks are burning? Of course comparing lumber to firewood is not a great comparison but moisture is moisture.

Folks do not realize how slow wood dries. They do not realize that moisture meters cannot accurately detect moisture below a small depth.

Folks need to go take a look at lumber and prices. Of course most are not using hardwood lumber that is not kiln dried but take a peek. The mill is closed for the day so I cannot get real prices. The gong rate used to be about $2.50 per bd/ft on 4/4 RO. If you wanted 8/4 it would be close to $4/bd/ft It takes a lot longer in the kiln to dry 8/4. Now do take a look at the wood pile. What is the thicknest of what folks are burning? Of course comparing lumber to firewood is not a great comparison but moisture is moisture.

I realized this the very first day I got my moisture meter. If wood has been drying if can definitely give you an inaccurate reading. You can split any given log and get a very different reading on the freshly split side. I learned a long time ago about proper drying times, which is why I know the huge majority of people are not selling seasoned firewood. The huge majority of people split the stuff directly into their truck or trailer then sell it like that.

Yeah not to offend but it does sound cheap. You look at the prices of things nowadays and it just is not worth it. So I am guessing they pick the wood up themselves? I think Poplar is a lighter wood that is good for burning. The guy I have been buying it off of has a mix of a lot of stuff. He sold me two cords earlier this year for $400 and the wood is never seasoned and never a full 2 cords. Like I have said before though, no one that we have ever bought from sells true seasoned firewood or the amount they say. My father taught me this a long time ago.

So I have a regular cab with an 8' bed on it and the truck is a 1500 so I need to be careful of overloading. Having that said, if I fill the bed up loosely with firewood possibly going a little above the bed, how much would some of you guys sell that for? There are guys around here that sell "truck loads" of firewood and they charge $100+ with a short bed. They also never specify that either. I know for a fact the one guy only has a crew cab truck with a 5-6' bed. It is possible he is using someone else's truck but I highly doubt it. Anyway does that mean I should sell a truck load out of my truck for $125+ or more? Especially considering I have oak, cherry and mostly ash wood?
I'm close to St. Louis so I think a 6' FS truck bed goes for around $100 and a 8' FS bed $120.
a 6' bed holds a 4x8x16" row. Some guys I've seen ask $150 to$195. Don't know if hey get it. But then, they're close to a big city.

That seems very reasonable on Oak. I am hoping to be able to convince my brother to see my way of thinking on some jobs coming up. We were talking at Thanksgiving and it looks like there are some pretty good Walnut an White Oak jobs coming up this winter. They are going to be with in a few miles of home. Of course all of that will go straight to the mill. I would like to convince him to bid a few pennies on some of the scrub species that will be in the way of cutting the better stuff. There will be a bunch. We have a spare skidder and now a log truck that will de dedicated to just local hauling. We have a poo ton of boilers to keep fired so why not pay the landowner a bit for scrub that needs removed anyway.
The tops off those saw logs make good firewood too.

Back