Ice Storm pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bowtie

I remember when you first started out postin,,,,,

now look at ya,,,,

Thats gonna be my excuse to get the 361 soon...

MS441 Magnum...
026Pro...
034AV...
028AV project
029 Super (project or parts, aint sure yet)
(2) 020t's that dont want to run

Your toast!!!!!!! LOL You got it bad dude!!!!!

I bet your lovin that Phat Arsed 441!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:
Did ya any trouble starting it in the cold weather????

Last edited:
You haven't seen what mother nature can do until you've seen the path of a tornado up close, an ice storm or a Hurricaine.

I have witnessed the first 2, and never plan to witness the 3rd.

I bet generator sales are through the roof around OK.

Make the best of it, up here in WI we got gypped; we only got 6 - 7 inches of snow. Chicago only got rain.

I remember when you first started out postin,,,,,

now look at ya,,,,

Thats gonna be my excuse to get the 361 soon...
_:hmm3grin2orange: , Ice is Hell on chains!_________________

MS441 Magnum...
026Pro...
034AV...
028AV project
029 Super (project or parts, aint sure yet)
(2) 020t's that dont want to run

Your toast!!!!!!! LOL You got it bad dude!!!!!

I bet your lovin that Phat Arsed 441!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:
Did ya any trouble starting it in the cold weather????

NO, 441 stold the show!

Hey Bowtie, I feel for you man. I've been blessed here in north central Arkansas to barely miss both ice storms that hit this year, we just got the rain here. Be careful!

Bowtie, as I recall, you have a son that's a few weeks old. I hope all is well with the little fella (and of course the rest of your family), and as everybody else has said, be careful out there and stay warm.

Kevin

I hate to see the devastation, but that is amazingly beautiful. I'd have an absolute blast helping clean it all up! Be safe. I've been on the scene of a F3 tornado just a couple hours after it went through. My Dad and I went soley for the purpose of helping cut trees out of the way. When we popped over the hill and saw the devastation, it almost took your breath away. It was emotionaly wrenching even though we didn't know anyone that lived there. We cut an aweful lot of wood the next couple days. Very gratifying to help the people out and fun to run the saws.

You haven't seen what mother nature can do until you've seen the path of a tornado up close, an ice storm or a Hurricaine.

I have witnessed the first 2, and never plan to witness the 3rd.

I bet generator sales are through the roof around OK.

Make the best of it, up here in WI we got gypped; we only got 6 - 7 inches of snow. Chicago only got rain.

I've got pictures working for an oil company cutting seismic lines after hurricane juan came through the the atlantic provinces in Canada back in 2003.The worst mess I've ever seen. I will post the pictures when I figure out how to.

Not trying to steal your thread just had some good pictures to add. This was an ice storm that hit the PNW back in '96. All this damage happened overnight.

The damage done to trees by ice is heart wrenching. To make matters worse even more damage was often done by arborist who removed or severely cut back trees damaging them even further.
... We even had bad information coming from out State Forestry department resulting in trees being cut back to 'very large wood'.
+Realize that the 1/3 rule is just a guidelines....and one that if followed to the letter results in many more trees removed or severely damaged by the arborist responding to the storm.
All true, Dan. The ice just gave a big dose of pruning--will arborists give the trees an overdose? 5 years after our big ice storm, I just did some restoration pruning today. One branch bottom I left was 10" dia. and 10' long, without a twig on it.

The first season it did not break bud at all Now it is well on the way to growing back as part of the canopy. If you read USFS or NADF or extension info telling you to cut damaged branches back to their origins, don't do it, they are WRONG! Ed Gilman and every other authority on tree biology and pruning agree--sometimes you gotta leave stubs, if you want to have a tree.

attached pics are of limbs that had no laterals after being cleaned and reduced in Dec 2002 after 1 1/4" of ice broke them.

Until you've been there and heard the rifle crack sounds of trees breaking under ice, you just can't relate to how bad a deal it is.

I was at my timber farm in north Louisiana a few years back and almost could not stand to stay there and listen to trees cracking during an ice storm. I just kept thinking how much money the ice was costing me.

At least I did not have to clean anything up, all the damage was in the woods.

Y'all stay safe.

My internet is finally working (barely) again. I still havent cleaned up my yard, and we just got 8 inches of snow last night and its still snowing hard. Westar Energy is saying some wont have power back before Christmas. i have seen thousands of utility truck rumble into my area. They were out on 56 highway last night on my way home in heavy snowfall repairing lines. I honked my horn over and over and gave them a thumbs up. I think every one of them waved back! They are doing one heck of a job!

Until you've been there and heard the rifle crack sounds of trees breaking under ice, you just can't relate to how bad a deal it is.

I was at my timber farm in north Louisiana a few years back and almost could not stand to stay there and listen to trees cracking during an ice storm. I just kept thinking how much money the ice was costing me.

At least I did not have to clean anything up, all the damage was in the woods.

Y'all stay safe.

That's probably the one we had 4-5 years ago in Arkansas, eh? Most of the firewood I've been cutting is big hardwoods with little to no canopy, just 2-3 big limbs in the top of the tree - suvivors of that storm.

That's probably the one we had 4-5 years ago in Arkansas, eh?

Something like that. I moved down here the beginning of 2003 and I remember my in-laws and other locals telling me about how long they were without power (weeks?) and all the damage it did in the woods, I think it was a year or 2 before (2001 or 2002).

Kevin

Latest posts

Back