Ice Storm tracking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the out of state plates all too well the two hurricanes that
rolled through our area had many out of stater's rallying to get work and
even though I understand the frustration I got my share of work. Remember it don't matter if it is someone coming from Ct or Ca the customer is not going to wait and you can only do so much work. I would have never been able to keep up pace with the devastation and monopolize on the occurrence. I have not left my state to do help yet so I could bitc? but in reality when you can't get one job done for looking at five others you do the ones you can. I have never thought of some dumb **** like disabling or theft of someones tools. In your case I still would not lower myself to that, I however may use the strong arm approach.

:agree2:

Most of guys that run our own business are like cur dogs!
And thats understandable after all we or most of us literally put our blood sweat ands tears into our bus/
But to JACK with another mans stuff because you think it,s your town is unacceptable.

It,s just good bus and pratical,and fun to get away from the ole lady to go to these storms.And try to line up work at this time of the year.
When so many of you are complaing about lack of work.

What do you expect! It,s the nature of the beast.

and i will have to remember that c note trick.

I have no problem with storm chasers coming into the area and helping out, as long as there legitimate tree services, doing quality work. It does piss me off when I see these guys with out of state plates going door to door underbidding all the locals with a pick up and a saw. It makes all the legitimate company's look like crooks because they actually pay for Insurance, worker's comp, maintance, proper PPE, etc, etc.. and can't spend a day cutting a tree down for $300.00 bucks. I seen this crew from Texas last week doing the door to door thing, They had the b@lls to knock on the door of the residents we were working for:censored: They were politly asked to leave from the home owner, and Got a your about to get a boot up your ass look from me while trying to remain profesional at the same time.. Some people have no profesional courtesy whats so ever, Thats makes them look bad aswell as the Industry in general IMHO... They did end up with a job around the corner, They had a 2 man bucket from the 70's and a old 1 ton rack body dump truck, and atleast 4 guys maybe 5. They started dismanteling a 60' or so white birch over a house down in tiny pieces with one guy cutting while the other guy cought the pieces and tossed them down to the groundies to throw into the back of the rack body. The groundies just kept getting in the back of the truck and mincing up the brush. Not one guy had any PPE on what so ever. Later when we finished our job and they were long gone we went by there job on the way out of the development to see branches still on the roof and ground and a stump 3' foot high with an angle cut. We don't need these types of hacks around here and I have no problem telling them that either. I won't begruge any man for trying to put food on the table, Just have some common courtesy and don't piss were we eat... Rant over...

Let me also add its not just the out of stater's, We have plenty of local hacks our selves. I actually have been inpressed with some of the out of state outfits and the equipment they roll in with.

My dream is for all of us to one day form a coalition,cooperation in emergency response if we would all work together when the next Katrina came along we would be a awesome force to be reckoned with. We as a group could be very persuasive, expedient, and offer service second to none imo if we could get along, be independent but still a team.

My dream is for all of us to one day form a coalition,cooperation in emergency response if we would all work together when the next Katrina came along we would be a awesome force to be reckoned with. We as a group could be very persuasive, expedient, and offer service second to none imo if we could get along, be independent but still a team.

Thats a good thought but it will never be a reality unfurtunetly. I had more phone calls and P.M.s then I could count during this last ice storm, And If I could point fellow tree services in the right direction I did, I have plenty of work, and there was/is plenty of it out there. There are just honest and dishonest ways about getting it...

I had more phone calls and P.M.s then I could count during this last ice storm, And If I could point fellow tree services in the right direction I did, I have plenty of work, and there was/is plenty of it out there. There are just honest and dishonest ways about getting it...

My point exactly.
When Isabel rolled thru my hometown, the tree crews came out of the woodwork from all over the country. I helped a lot of reputable companies by freely giving advice and assistance, many from this site. I also hired a bunch of guys off of here and made serious money, and paid serious money. The hacks were everywhere, and some never left.

If you are getting tons of calls, you can do a tremendous amount of work by properly managing the God-given financial windfall you are being blessed with. By partnering with quality subs, you can do a huge volume of work, make great money from managing the calls, and when it is all done you have expanded your customer base tenfold.
I have seen this scenario all around the east coast over and over again for many years now, and the benefit of exploiting your local business exposure is a million dollar possibility in a massive storm environment. And so few take advantage of this, by accepting help from guys skilled in this type of work.
If you are performing 10% of your call load, and doing very well, think about 50%, or 75%, and still getting 25% of total gross or more, from teaming up with an individual who knows how to fast track work in this type of work scenario and by utilizing skilled, legal crews. I can put crews together that would make you proud to be associated with, or you simply pull the plug. They are your calls. I can set up and process 100's of calls a day easily. prioritize, screen, and document everything coming in, and the paper trail tracks everything.

Instead of griping about out of state plates step UP to the plate and get paid, and help protect your hometown from the hacks that are going to be there regardless of how you feel.

I do not expect anyone in their right mind to openly post about work areas on here,
that would be foolish. PM me, or call me.
to the few that have already, many thanks.
What comes around, goes around.

Dave
757 784 4574

Last edited:
My point exactly.
When Isabel rolled thru my hometown, the tree crews came out of the wood
after helping thousands of Md. folks getting power back to there homes all i got was this lousy t shirt:dizzy:
attachment.php

My point exactly.
When Isabel rolled thru my hometown, the tree crews came out of the woodwork from all over the country. I helped a lot of reputable companies by freely giving advice and assistance, many from this site. I also hired a bunch of guys off of here and made serious money, and paid serious money. The hacks were everywhere, and some never left.

If you are getting tons of calls, you can do a tremendous amount of work by properly managing the God-given financial windfall you are being blessed with. By partnering with quality subs, you can do a huge volume of work, make great money from managing the calls, and when it is all done you have expanded your customer base tenfold.
I have seen this scenario all around the east coast over and over again for many years now, and the benefit of exploiting your local business exposure is a million dollar possibility in a massive storm environment. And so few take advantage of this, by accepting help from guys skilled in this type of work.
If you are performing 10% of your call load, and doing very well, think about 50%, or 75%, and still getting 25% of total gross or more, from teaming up with an individual who knows how to fast track work in this type of work scenario and by utilizing skilled, legal crews. I can put crews together that would make you proud to be associated with, or you simply pull the plug. They are your calls. I can set up and process 100's of calls a day easily. prioritize, screen, and document everything coming in, and the paper trail tracks everything.

Instead of griping about out of state plates step UP to the plate and get paid, and help protect your hometown from the hacks that are going to be there regardless of how you feel.

I do not expect anyone in their right mind to openly post about work areas on here,
that would be foolish. PM me, or call me.
to the few that have already, many thanks.
What comes around, goes around.

Dave
757 784 4574

I Understand your position completly. If You provide the kind of services you listed above, I could see you and your company being very valuable in a time of need to the right company. The problem I see locally here is there are already 50+ tree companies in the capital district and probably another 500 hacks that call themselves tree company's when storms hit. Then you add the out of state crews that come in and theres some serious competition for work. We specialize in large/technical removals and that seems to really set us apart from atleast 75% of the locals that can't or won't do the trees we can. I had lots of calls during this last ice storm, but not so many I could justify sub-contracting work for 25% profit. Everything that was a priority like trees on houses and garages were taking care of ASAP, All the general clean up jobs were put on hold. I was up front with everyone and even gave some jobs away to another company I use to work for because I could not get there in a timely manner. I booked a months worth of work in about 4 days and that will keep me and my crew going this winter when typically we would be sitting in the shop making work. Now I am rambling, sorry I will try to get to the point. If I had more calls coming in then we could handle and I could gaurantee atleast a couple weeks worth of work for a sub, I would gladly bring in a reputable company and make 125% a day instead of just our 100%... Now one talented climber to take my place and run a crew so I had more time to bid work would have been (Almost) invaluable 2 weeks ago. Hopefully this year we can get another reliable climber.. Good luck and stay safe!!

I Understand your position completly. If You provide the kind of services you listed above, I could see you and your company being very valuable in a time of need to the right company. The problem I see locally here is there are already 50+ tree companies in the capital district and probably another 500 hacks that call themselves tree company's when storms hit. Then you add the out of state crews that come in and theres some serious competition for work. We specialize in large/technical removals and that seems to really set us apart from atleast 75% of the locals that can't or won't do the trees we can. I had lots of calls during this last ice storm, but not so many I could justify sub-contracting work for 25% profit. Everything that was a priority like trees on houses and garages were taking care of ASAP, All the general clean up jobs were put on hold. I was up front with everyone and even gave some jobs away to another company I use to work for because I could not get there in a timely manner. I booked a months worth of work in about 4 days and that will keep me and my crew going this winter when typically we would be sitting in the shop making work. Now I am rambling, sorry I will try to get to the point. If I had more calls coming in then we could handle and I could gaurantee atleast a couple weeks worth of work for a sub, I would gladly bring in a reputable company and make 125% a day instead of just our 100%... Now one talented climber to take my place and run a crew so I had more time to bid work would have been (Almost) invaluable 2 weeks ago. Hopefully this year we can get another reliable climber.. Good luck and stay safe!!

What better place to get reliable help than here? I mean I did the same as you in the two canes but next time I am calling a few of you guys if the insurance is in order, why not. I mean quality help profits by all and a huge base of satisfied customers for return work in the future. It is cooperation that makes the best sense today not separatism head up an azz stuff imo.

Win win win win

Last edited:
What better place to get reliable help than here? I mean I did the same as you in the two canes but next time I am calling a few of you guys if the insurance is in order, why not. I mean quality help profits by all and a huge base of satisfied customers for return work in the future. It is cooperation that makes the best sense today not separatism head up an azz stuff imo.

Win win win win

well said.:clap:

Kentucky bound

Once again, we're looking at trying to get some work from this latest round of ice storm damage.

Anyone in Kentucky who could PM me with any info on hard hit areas, or wants to enlist our help, please let me know.

I'm going to travel with a 65' truck crane, and a skidsteer in tandem,
so anyone who could use us, call or PM.

Dave
757 784 4574 cell

Once again, we're looking at trying to get some work from this latest round of ice storm damage.

Anyone in Kentucky who could PM me with any info on hard hit areas, or wants to enlist our help, please let me know.

I'm going to travel with a 65' truck crane, and a skidsteer in tandem,
so anyone who could use us, call or PM.

Dave
757 784 4574 cell

Good luck friend we missed it in my area but in the north part of the state
may not be so lucky. I may go up there and see if my services are needed
since it is so close. Stay safe and make the bills pard:cheers:

Good luck friend we missed it in my area but in the north part of the state
may not be so lucky. I may go up there and see if my services are needed
since it is so close. Stay safe and make the bills pard:cheers:

Just got the call ropen,

Jonesboro bound in t minus 2 hours and packing!

i recorded two episodes of that show on the DVR.

i tried to watch it the first one last night.i could only force myself to watch for about ten minutes.

if i had to work with him for 5 minutes,there would be a chipper accident.

Looks like Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri got hit pretty bad. There really are not very many population centers around though. I wonder what Branson looks like.

Back