Id problem no. 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.Borist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
See attached picture of a young Ash, situated in southern UK on commercial premises, very wet Winter and Spring, other Ash suffering to a lesser / greater degree in same location, other species on same site unaffected
Looking at Anthracnose as potential cause but any suggestions, confirmation or otherwise on cause and cure / care of, would be appreciated.

look for large scale populations on the dead branches.

Multiple repeated stresses and regular insecticide application can lead to scale related mortality in green ash here. Looks like what you have too.

anthracnose spreads in cool (about 55 deg F.) weather on succulant leages. Then second flush is uneffected in warm weather.

your ash

here in no. california we are having a problem with lilac borer in are raywood ash, they leave very little frass if any and holes are hard to spot but ill bet ya thats your problem. i have two larvae in some sample woods here in the office. i would cut out the infected wood peel the bark and examine for galleries we chase them out of ther galleries with guitar string or pressurized air( so we can measure ther rates of travel and woods they will infect)
for provention you need to know the active season of the adults which ranges from mar-jun depending on geography.
then aplly a pyrethrin (with the longest residual) mixed with a superior oil directly to the trunk and branches(not the leaves)
if timed correctly this works

"Fraxinus excelsior suffers from a condition, not fully explained, called ash dieback. It has not been clearly characterized but involves the death of scattered twigs, branches or limbs. Even severly affected trees sometimes recover. It is common in hedgerows, particularly those adjacent to arable land or ditches; its incidense is higher in the eastern parts of the country. Ash bud moth is frequently present in affected trees and may be involved in the syndrome to some degree but the prime suspect is root damage caused by ploughing. If a thorough and systematic investigation into a case of dieback fails to reveal another cause, the possibility that this `Ash dieback` is the problem, should be considered."
(R.G. Strouts and T.G. Winter;"Diagnosis of ill health in trees")

I`ve quoted this cos I`ve just learnt it myself, but worth considering anyway?

Latest posts

Back