ID this Craftsman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
CL seller says it's s 25+ years old. I'm wondering if it's a Craftsman-branded Poulan, specifically a 3400/3700/4000.

I don't suppose that anyone here could ID it by these (admittedly crappy) pictures?

(In the pic with all 3, the saw in question is the top one)

image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png

I have a couple just like that. If I remember right I had read that the gray ones are either a 3400 or a 3800. The sears model number is on the top of the cylinder cover. This is the model number of one of my 3800's.IMG_20160201_055221_674.jpg

Mine's like yours check to see if it has a plated piston bare aluminum cylinder makes a difference to some not me it still has 170 compression and runs great

I'm pretty sure it's 3800 in Craftsman gray. A lot of people selling them call them a 3.7 (which were red, thin and thick ring models) or a 3700 which isn't quite right. That saw should be 61 cc I believe which was the same as the the 3800 and a thick ring saw. The 3700 is also 61 cc but a thin ring saw.

So that's definitely a 3800. Any chance someone knows which carb is on it? I'm hunting for a NLA low-speed screw for a Walbro (something I can't remember cause I'm at work) off a 4000 countervibe.

Follow-up. Got the saw today. Stole the Lo-speed screw from it & my 4000 finally idles right.

Best part is, with some minor work, the donor saw will likely be a runner. I'll wind up craigslisting it for cheap with a warning the idle is a bit wonky.

So looks like a win. Thanks again for your help, guys!

Back