ID this wood for my brother!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playback

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
199b1e60ff133a1a6dd7d76a5e6d427d.jpg

3c2c14dbd7d3680753d7e35b278e0e3f.jpg

Brother called me today saying this wood he had is really dry but super hard to split. He does it by hand and is fairly capable of splitting by hand without any problems so I believe him when he said it's really hard to get through.

Not sure of the leaf at all. I think he said it was a dead tree that he cut down the rest of the way.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a little punky but will still burn ok. You have to get after american elm the same year they die.

Looks just like sweet gum when it sits around for a year or two and looses its bark.

Looks like Bitternut hickory to me. Not as familiar with Elm

Attachments

• IMG_4124_2.JPG
    IMG_4124_2.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 8
Sorry guys, I'm going to have to go Cottonwood on this... Looks just like some I had here a month ago. It can be tough to split dry.

Another clue I see, is the holes in the ends of the logs (and the one split he's holding). Mine was infested with larvae from some weird looking wasp thing.

Ask him about the weight, I bet it's light.

I admit, I'm not that great at id-ing wood. But damn, those barkless rounds and splits look like the same thing I had here. Spidey, the log in the background I didn't pay any attention to before, I agree is not cottonwood.

I wish I had some pics of the garbage I had, hey, maybe it wasn't cottonwood after all. I could be completely out of my mind all together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back