Ideas on speeding up the bucking process?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joesell,

Is your friend doing all of the work himself or will there be a crew workers?

Reason I ask is because this Saturday a group of us did 4.5 cords of wood and skidded another 4 cords out of the woods by ATV. The bucking took very little time compared to the rest of the movements and was never the bottleneck in the operation. We had 3 saws and only ran one while the other guys skidded, carried rounds to splitter, split, and loaded the wood.

He's trying to split the firewood off from his main business. It'll be him and 1 other guy.

I like the skidder processor, but I don't think it'll work for 90% of his wood.

Like Hinerman suggested, I usually hold my logs off the ground when I buck, but I'm usually by myself.

He has at least 100 cords stacked in logs waiting to be processed. With all the equipment, bucking really is the bottleneck.

I guess he's just going to have to really look at how everything flows. Maybe move some things around.

Joesell,

Is your friend doing all of the work himself or will there be a crew workers?

Reason I ask is because this Saturday a group of us did 4.5 cords of wood and skidded another 4 cords out of the woods by ATV. The bucking took very little time compared to the rest of the movements and was never the bottleneck in the operation. We had 3 saws and only ran one while the other guys skidded, carried rounds to splitter, split, and loaded the wood.

He's trying to split the firewood off from his main business. It'll be him and 1 other guy.

I like the skidder processor, but I don't think it'll work for 90% of his wood.

Like Hinerman suggested, I usually hold my logs off the ground when I buck, but I'm usually by myself.

He has at least 100 cords stacked in logs waiting to be processed. With all the equipment, bucking really is the bottleneck.

I guess he's just going to have to really look at how everything flows.

Welp... I've been far surpassed here. My single saw/axe/fiskars/wedge/sledge/truck/chain/elbow grease setup has been beat. You guys have got some awesome gear.

Besides making time, transportation was my bottle neck. And I mean all ways of transportation, from getting logs out to getting loads delivered. I'm glad I moved on to just doing campfire bundles now. I've gotten a little niche here that no one wants to take care of at these 3 parks.

Agreed with the mention of big saws. The faster you can make rounds, the better.

Not a lot can be done for hidden hardware in the trees. Have more than one saw and a stash of replacement loops on site in case you hit hardware. One of yas can start the spare saw and press on with bucking while the other swaps out the damaged chain loop.

As far as time vs. output goes, you guys may have to look at various plans for staging and work flow. How often are you handling logs and rounds? Can you eliminate or combine steps in the process? Can you both buck logs at the same time? Little changes can make a world of difference in processing time. The ticket is to work together as a team.

I think the thread you are looking for is in the Chainsaw Forum - called Bucking Trailer Build. Also I remember reading around the holidays about GTG at Tree Monkeys which had some great pics and videos. Pics show couple different bucking trailers.
Search for either of those.

Not sure how to get a video loaded - but on the GTG at Tree Monkeys - pg 44 has a video titled Waukee Charity Cut - I think it's a great video

Which I believe inspired the bucking trailer build thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bucking-trailer-build.268055/

Check them out.

Well in my opinion (and i tell this to a friend that is in the tree removal bizz all the time) you are getting paid to cut the tree down, a flat rate, take the time to cut it to firewood length at that time. Only have to load it and dump it at the splitting station. He doesn't do it because he is all about making the big money at the site, then he'll **** with the pieces for a week getting it all cut and split. Seems like time better spent at the job site, unless you are under a huge time constraint which I know he isn't.

I used to do this all the time- but not for the firewood factor, just so we could load the logs by hand. Now we've got cranes and grapples to load the logs, which is much faster and more profitable. Then we can work the firewood when we have the free time, using tractors and other equipment.

I guess he's just going to have to really look at how everything flows.
Well that's a totally different story then. I would go through with the grapple and lift/buck all or a portion of the logs and then split until he runs out.

If I was in the wood selling business, I am pretty sure Iwould spend no time on piling it - I absolutely hate doing it at the best of times with my own wood, the less time spent at that the better.

I think I would use a conveyor off the slitter, and convey either to a heap, or a truck. If to a heap & you want it to dry, use the skidsteer (or tractor) & grapple to turn the pile over every month or two - there's another use to justify the skidsteer. If to a truck, just calibrate how much wood your truck holds heaped on in a pile, if it were stacked instead. Then sell by the stacked quantity even though it's heaped. Even if you have to add a bit more wood to be sure about the volume to make people happy, you'd likely be ahead vs. the time spent stacking on the truck. And loading the truck from the heap is yet another use to justify the skidsteer.

Ugly lengths - likely the grapple setup would be the best.

The issue with that is the truck won't hold much. My big truck holds 5.5 cords stacked. I'd be lucky to get 3 cords in there loose.
I have a sheet with the state's "official" volume for loose wood but I don't think it's correct. It's something like 160 cu ft for a cord. In my experience it's 200+

Less time on the road filling an order = better profit. IE one trip to deliver instead of 2, or often can upsell a whole truck load too. Or one trip and drop off to several customers along the way.

Now all that really depends on the market and the sales too. If most orders are just a 1/2 cord or maybe a cord it's not really a problem. I don't get very many small orders for delivery, they usually come pick it up.

I have had great business, partially due to the "no bs" measurement. It's stacked in the truck and even have a spreadsheet with all the volume figures for each row based on wood length... Need 2.5 cords, that's x rows.

It also is a good CYA too. If you have a heaped pile and best guess it's a cord, well it is? Customer calls a week later, "hey I stacked it up and only got 1/2 a cord"... are they being honest or trying to get wood for free?

If you want to sell by a truckload, don't advertise it as being x amount of wood. We fill one of the trucks up to the gunwales and park it by the road with a price on it. It's x price for what's in the truck. Might be 1 1/2 cords or might be 2+, who really knows until it's stacked? Have several log truck loads of cut firewood out of that truck just in the last 2 months.

If I was in the wood selling business, I am pretty sure Iwould spend no time on piling it - I absolutely hate doing it at the best of times with my own wood, the less time spent at that the better.

I think I would use a conveyor off the slitter, and convey either to a heap, or a truck. If to a heap & you want it to dry, use the skidsteer (or tractor) & grapple to turn the pile over every month or two - there's another use to justify the skidsteer. If to a truck, just calibrate how much wood your truck holds heaped on in a pile, if it were stacked instead. Then sell by the stacked quantity even though it's heaped. Even if you have to add a bit more wood to be sure about the volume to make people happy, you'd likely be ahead vs. the time spent stacking on the truck. And loading the truck from the heap is yet another use to justify the skidsteer.

Ugly lengths - likely the grapple setup would be the best.

I know you said he has at least 100 cords of logs piled up but how much does he plan on selling per year? How many cords do the "big boys" sell in your area? Just curious on that question. Looking at a huge pile of logs will make you think the bucking step will be the log jam in the operation...until you start splitting. I can cut a cord of wood when I have logs sitting around way faster than I can split it, even with my 4 way. Also, I don't know what kind of space he has. Obviously it's enough to store 100 cords of logs but as you start to split, you will need space for that and if you want to have an all oak pile vs mixed hardwood or any other variety, spacing and being able to move logs and equipment around become an issue to deal with.

The fastest way with tree service wood is a big saw running a long bar, usually running .404 chain, then lift the log in the middle with a loader and two guys buck off each end. A mini-excavator in 7k+ pound class is even better, but it has to have a good aggressive thumb to clamp the wood. Don't lift too high and stand clear of the rounds as they come off.

One or two guys can make a huge pile of rounds in a big hurry this way.

Mr. HE:cool:

Could be, I don't remember. If you are aware of what a skidder is and what a skid steer is why do you keep calling it by the wrong name then? :dumb::laugh:

I have issues with sleep among other things and it affects my memory. I had a sleep study done and basically I don't get REM sleep and wake up many times for just a second or two. I know most nights I wake up every hour or two. It's rare I can sleep for 5-6 hours in a stretch.

Anyhow, because of that, what I remember is quite selective. I might be able to remember an insignificant event from 10 years ago, but then I can run to town for an errand and get 1/2 way there and have completely forgotten what I was going to town for.

Yeah, you keep telling me that.

Could be, I don't remember. If you are aware of what a skidder is and what a skid steer is why do you keep calling it by the wrong name then? :dumb::laugh:

I have issues with sleep among other things and it affects my memory. I had a sleep study done and basically I don't get REM sleep and wake up many times for just a second or two. I know most nights I wake up every hour or two. It's rare I can sleep for 5-6 hours in a stretch.

Anyhow, because of that, what I remember is quite selective. I might be able to remember an insignificant event from 10 years ago, but then I can run to town for an errand and get 1/2 way there and have completely forgotten what I was going to town for.
You too??? sucks doesn't it. been that way my whole sober life. for some reason the alcohol made me remember everything and work in an orderly fashion but it destroyed every other aspect of my life so i'm stuck with the bad memory too. sober the first 17 years of my life and now the last 4

I hear ya on the sleep. I can only sleep for 4 hrs. I do seek a nap here and there, but I'm mostly stupid tired. I have to write notes for everything.

I do know the difference between skidders. I should try to be more clear, especially here. The problem is that everyone in my area calls a skid steer a skidder, and actual skidders are nonexistent.

The fastest way with tree service wood is a big saw running a long bar, usually running .404 chain, then lift the log in the middle with a loader and two guys buck off each end. A mini-excavator in 7k+ pound class is even better, but it has to have a good aggressive thumb to clamp the wood. Don't lift too high and stand clear of the rounds as they come off.

One or two guys can make a huge pile of rounds in a big hurry this way.

Mr. HE:cool:

This how we do it as above.
Then load rounds into a hopper that feeds the splitter and a conveyor to load truck or pile the split wood up.

DSC_0011-1024x685[1].jpg

Back