identify a older large Stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseed1

Reaction score
I found a large older Stihl saw, no model on it, trying to get the serial # so that might help, but can someone tell me what general model tihs is? And if there is a site for serial number cross over to identify exact unit?
[email protected]
Thanks
Randall

more photos of this saw to view

thanks a BUNCH

Last edited:
I uploaded a few more pictures of this saw. Thanks for your help. So is the 051 or 076 whichever it might be good? Any headaches with them?

076 is one hellcat of a saw if its maintained properly and is used by a professional. I would not recommend it for a homeowner. I run a 60" bar on mine and it pulls fine with the larger .404 chain.

Keep fresh mix in it.....dump out gas older than a week as the carb is prone to gasket/diaphragm problems with the new ethanol blends.

I believe it is 111 cc and is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9.3 horsepower. Slightly less than a MS880. It is slower revving and has more lower end torque.

My 2cents

9jditc.jpg
heres mine:cheers:

Stihl 056??

This saw kind of looks, as best as I can recall, like my dad's old 056 AV. Nice looking saw by the way and nice score!

Regards,

valleyboy

vintage stihl

i would say that is a 051. the 050's were more of a redish color with points and condenser. where the 051 was newer and had electronic ignition. its not an 075 or 076. the 075 has a manual oiler button on the oil tank next to the oil cap. the 076's oiler button is on the side of the oil tank. still a very powerful saw at 89cc. i had a 36'' bar on mine. tons of torque.

Last edited:
i would say that is a 051. the 050's were more of a redish color with points and condenser. where the 051 was newer and had electronic ignition. its not an 075 or 076. the 075 has a manual oiler button on the oil tank next to the oil cap. the 076's oiler button is on the side of the oil tank. still a very powerful saw at 89cc. i had a 36'' bar on mine. tons of torque.

i have a 076 and the oiler buttons on the top

Did 050 or 051 have cylinder bolts or studs?
Am thinking they have bolts and 075 and 076 use studs the full length of cylinder.

Oil tank cap on side of case say it a early type......parts get changed all the time.

TT

i think you are right about the cylinder bolts.

its on 051...looks just like mine! i love mine, i have a 30" bar and 404 semi skip on mine and it just goes through everything.

i think you are right about the cylinder bolts.

its on 051...looks just like mine! i love mine, i have a 30" bar and 404 semi skip on mine and it just goes through everything.

Cylinder studs are a dead give away for 041 Super that is missing or
has unreadable tag, or the lack of if someone trying to pass off 041AV as a Super
by changing air filter cover.............dirty dogs!

TT

I have been told that the first 4 digits of the part numbers can be used to identify a saw. I do not know the breakdown on it, but have seen it in one of the threads before. Look for the digits that repeat the most, on my 042 it is 1117.

I have been told that the first 4 digits of the part numbers can be used to identify a saw. I do not know the breakdown on it, but have seen it in one of the threads before. Look for the digits that repeat the most, on my 042 it is 1117.

Saws can share the first four as 1122=064 or 066, 660
1125=034, 036 and Stihl is good about using same parts
on as many saws as they can.

1111= 050,051,075 and 076

TT

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back