Identify this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic8852

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this for me? A buddy got a bunch dropped at his house and I can't seem to place it.
bf861cb492ce2df85bcd7dfbb0960692.jpg
08a42a456ffacfc00efad14a764ff822.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He said it was pretty lightweight and split real easy, probably is cottonwood. I told him the same things you guys have said. Kindling or campfire wood. Don't expect to get very warm with it, lol. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

He said it was pretty lightweight and split real easy, probably is cottonwood. I told him the same things you guys have said. Kindling or campfire wood. Don't expect to get very warm with it, lol. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

You will get plenty warm from it just not for very long.

I have never split any easy cottonwood, pretty much a lightning bolt shape in the big chunks. Noodle all my big stuff. Makes a good quick fire. I have very surprised how long that it lasts in the outside wood pile. Have some 3 yrs plus, rots under the bark but the wood is still quite solid

I'd hang on to it. I use Quaking Aspen sometimes in spring and fall when its not real cold. Saves the good stuff for later. Better than having a bunch of half rotten trees laying around in the woods.

Nothing wrong with burning cottonwood. My stove is full of it right now. I hate wasting the shagbark this time of year.

Latest posts

Back