identifying Stihl Saw from serial number?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to pull the cylinder,just remove the front muffler cover, insert a drinking straw,swizzle stick or other semi soft material . try to keep it square to the bore, then raise the piston up to just nick the item inserted, move the piston down and withdraw the straw or whatever,, then measure from the inserted end up to the indent made by the piston, that will tell the bore diameter

Bill beat my post, both or any means will work.
Yes I did it and lol unfortunately I bought the wrong cylinder for the saw as much as I wanted to use the super piston and cylinder the bolt aren't the same, good thing I can get a refund and for some reason the magnum is cheaper than the super cylinder even though you would think differently because the magnum is bigger lol so I'm thankful it is cheaper but unfortunately now I have to wait for new parts thanks for everyone who gave me advice or I would have probably tried to make it work 😅

Yes I did it and lol unfortunately I bought the wrong cylinder for the saw as much as I wanted to use the super piston and cylinder the bolt aren't the same, good thing I can get a refund and for some reason the magnum is cheaper than the super cylinder even though you would think differently because the magnum is bigger lol so I'm thankful it is cheaper but unfortunately now I have to wait for new parts thanks for everyone who gave me advice or I would have probably tried to make it work 😅
A bit confused here from your reply. Did you measure the bore before ordering the new cylinder, if you did then the new cylinder bolt pattern would be the same as the one on your saw. The bigger bore Magnum cylinder bolt pattern is different than the 038AV and the 038Super so some alteration to the cylinder base bolt holes is necessary to make that one fit. Serial numbers from the old 038`s are too old to be found on the Stihl dealer websites so measuring the actual parts is the way to identify what you have.

Latest posts

Back