identifying Stihl Saw from serial number?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044 or MS 440

New to this site. Wondering if anyone can identify this serial #: 15549516. I am pretty sure it is a MS 440 but I am trying to order a new can and piston for it and it states that some come with a 10mm wrist pin and some with 12mm. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nate

Trying to identify an old stihl chainsaw

Hey guys i am new to the site but i really enjoy working on and fixing old saws. I have a saw that i cannot identify , one of the major parts on the saw starts with #1110. Would appreciate any help

Sir,

This is a 10 year old thread. To answer your question though measure the bore.
Yeah I know the difference in the bore will tell me lol but I did not want to pull the cylinder off until I knew my answer lol I already spent 100 dollars on a knew cylinder and I don't know if it will fit because I bought the saw and they said it was just a 038av but the cover says magnum so I don't know if they replaced the cover or if it is a magnum I know that is something to laugh about lol

Yeah I know the difference in the bore will tell me lol but I did not want to pull the cylinder off until I knew my answer lol I already spent 100 dollars on a knew cylinder and I don't know if it will fit because I bought the saw and they said it was just a 038av but the cover says magnum so I don't know if they replaced the cover or if it is a magnum I know that is something to laugh about lol
You do not have to remove the cylinder. Just pull the muffler and use a piece of solder or a popsicle stick. The best is a caliper.

No need to pull the cylinder,just remove the front muffler cover, insert a drinking straw,swizzle stick or other semi soft material . try to keep it square to the bore, then raise the piston up to just nick the item inserted, move the piston down and withdraw the straw or whatever,, then measure from the inserted end up to the indent made by the piston, that will tell the bore diameter

Bill beat my post, both or any means will work.

Latest posts

Back