Identity of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got walnut redder than that... I assume the soil nutrients or some such make a difference. Though come to think, some of the cherry is redder than usual too... :>"

Black Cherry based on color of wood and bark pattern. Black walnut is normally a dark brown almost black color when first cut and the bark pattern is a vertical ridged pattern as apposed to the scapular pattern on a black cherry tree. If you can find leaves on the ground that would further help to I.D. the tree. Black cherry leaves are elliptical shaped. Black walnut leaves are compound with usually 17 or 19 leaflets on a single stem. If it were a Black walnut there should have been evidence of the nut hulls or nuts around the base of the tree. Also, if you break one of the small stems or twigs in two you will see a dark brown pith if it is a walnut tree. Black walnut trees are in big demand now and are referred to as "black gold" Earlier this years I had logs from 4 trees stolen from my farm in SW Michigan. The estimated value was between $5000-$6000.

Still looks like Cherry.
I don't think it is cherry. I have lots of cherry on my farm. Bark looks nothing like the photos. I'm leaning towards oak of some species. Mainly because of the limb structure. Cherry tends to grow tall before limbs start. Photo is of a cherry on my farm. Bark is flat and not ridged.
One other thing to keep in mind. If there were cattle on the property in years past, cattle tend to gather under trees for shade. A result of that is urinating and crapping under the tree. That will cause damage (as far as tree value) to the tree be it oak, walnut, etc.. It will also change wood color. Lots of walnut here in KY are basically valueless because of discoloration. Just saying.
OT

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back