...if you are a farmer you gotta see this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be one of those guys who want big brother to control every aspect of your life.

My woodstove isnt new. My dad built it out of quarter inch steel. much heavier duty than the junk you will buy today. its not epa approved but as long as im warm, let the smoke fly!!!!!!! take that mr. gore!!!!:clap:

You sir are why they are after OWB's and soon other wood burning devices. You have the same mentality of some OWB operators that are ruining it for everyone else, no care for anyone else.

Big government control exists because of peole like you that don't give two sh*ts about anyone else, so your force people to complain to almighty government and local authorities (how else can they resolve it? If they blow up your stove or you, they goto jail) forcing intervention which usually in turn means more laws and regulation.

Get a clue!

Tes

You sir are why they are after OWB's and soon other wood burning devices. You have the same mentality of some OWB operators that are ruining it for everyone else, no care for anyone else.

Big government control exists because of peole like you that don't give two sh*ts about anyone else, so your force people to complain to almighty government and local authorities (how else can they resolve it? If they blow up your stove or you, they goto jail) forcing intervention which usually in turn means more laws and regulation.

Get a clue!

Tes

I live down a mile long driveway through the woods with no neighbors. Being I own MY property and live in the woods. I kind of do what I want. If I had neighbors I guess I would consider being more curtious. Wouldnt want to hear crybabies like you

SO you my friend is the one that needs to get a clue.;)

EPA stoves? No biggie. I have one. I like the way it doesn't smoke out the neighborhood. But that's just ol' selfish me. Ever had an asthma attack?

Regardless of the EPA rating of your stove, or the lack of, neither really produces much smoke at all if the operator is burning seasoned, dry, wood and doing so correctly. That seems to be a difficult concept to grasp for some.

But what really chaps me arse...while it is unfortunate that you have an asthma related condition, I have a bad foot, yet I'm not going to tell you what kind of boot to wear or how far you can walk in a day. I'm allergic to cats, so you shouldn't own one..? I don't like cigarettes, but that doesn't mean you can't smoke. If I don't want to wear a seatbelt, how does it harm you..? I also run with scissors. I do believe in clean air and responsible burning, but not because YOU are unfortunate enough to be effected by asthma.

Regardless of the EPA rating of your stove, or the lack of, neither really produces much smoke at all if the operator is burning seasoned, dry, wood and doing so correctly. That seems to be a difficult concept to grasp for some.

But what really chaps me arse...while it is unfortunate that you have an asthma related condition, I have a bad foot, yet I'm not going to tell you what kind of boot to wear or how far you can walk in a day. I'm allergic to cats, so you shouldn't own one..? I don't like cigarettes, but that doesn't mean you can't smoke. If I don't want to wear a seatbelt, how does it harm you..? I also run with scissors. I do believe in clean air and responsible burning, but not because YOU are unfortunate enough to be effected by asthma.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I've worked on and been around farms for almost 60 years, mainly in Wisconsin and Indiana and also remember using chemicals I wouldn't go near now like it was water. The regulations at the time were non existent or lax at best. Traces of certain herbicides turned up in well water in areas of Indiana and Iowa when I lived there. While the EPA isn't immune from making mistaken proposals, by the time the actual regulations are put in place and enforced, they typically have it right. I graduated from Purdue and had a lot of classmates got to work for the EPA and most were Indiana farm kids. I always have to laugh when I hear guys talk about how they have a large property and shouldn't have to worry about what a distant neighbor thinks. I'll wait for your reaction when a big feedlot or hog operation is sited a mile or two away from you and you can't open your window until you get help from the wind! My mother in-law lives in Morrill, NE, a nice little town in the panhandle. A local rancher decided about 8 years ago to build a medium sized feedlot just east of town. It's a good thing the prevailing wind is from the west because it's hard to even walk outside when it's not blowing. But he is within his property rights.

So where is an appropriate place for a feed lot...? Times Square New York is obviously a bad choice. Rural Nebraska seems to be a rather logical location. If one lives in the country they should expect to experience country smells, and perhaps even dust from tractors and fields that grow the crops we eat and feed the cattle. Are we to quit eating beef so as to appease everyone..? Do sheep smell better...? What is your answer..? Just not in my backyard...?

There are hundreds of sq. miles of practically unpopulated areas in western Nebraska and this lot is within a half mile, maybe less of a town of 1,000 people. Needless to say, it's not growing and property values have been affected. The town was there long before the feedlot. The town has a great golf course for the area but its tough to play on a nice day because of that high ammonia odor. In my mind, there is no problem siting the lot where it is. The problem is the waste handling process isn't effective for where it is sited. Leaving it to the owner is a lot like the BP oil spill. I don't want to get off topic anymore than this thread already is but don't bash all regulations as being unneeded.

And why should someone who lives in a rural area be subjected to a lower quality of life than someone in an urban area. I've driven through Princeton on my way to Tomahawk, WI a number of times, really a nice looking town. Tomahawk's main employer is a paper mill just east of town that used to put a rather disagreeable odor as well as contributing to some significant fish kills in the local river. When the EPA fined it early in the 70's, there was a lot of talk that it would close or at least relocate. Fortunately, they were able to change their manufacturing process. They have been a stable employer ever since with no odor and have been involved in local water clean up projects. If it hadn't been for some sweeping regulations, we'd still be stuck in the "good old days".

But he is within his property rights.

I believe you said it yourself.

The farmer is just trying to make a living. we own four chicken houses, but our we going to pull out and leave a million dollar investment because people like you cry over the smell?????? haha hellllllllll no!!!!!!! its the liberals who are constantly trying to run chicken farmers off the easternshore of MD. hell a young guy trying to start a chicken farm cant even build new houses in MD now. and yes, its more to it than just the smell, but the libbys will boooooo hooooo over anything to get there way

further more, If I want to take a hot steamy piss off my front deck in the morning then damn it, its my property, and thats what im going to do. it belongs to ME, not you, not big bro, ME

Last edited:
The point, in case you missed it, is that abusing your rights so that they have harmful effects on others, leads to regulations. You can piss on whatever you feel you need to to support your statement but that is a fact.

The point, in case you missed it, is that abusing your rights so that they have harmful effects on others, leads to regulations. You can piss on whatever you feel you need to to support your statement but that is a fact.

Yea I heard your doubletalk. its the libbys that cry like babys everytime they catch a whiff of chicken ####, dust or whatever that leads to regulations. Meanwhile the farmers out working his ass off while most liberals are kicked back in their retirement home or condo crying like the world owes them something because when they walk out to their mercedes to go to starbucks for a soy latte they catch a whiff of manure. HAHA!!! BREATHE IN DEEP MY FRIEND AND GO CRY TO YOUR GOV'T OFFICIAL !!!

Last edited:

So is the feedlot abusing your rights, or does is just stink...? Where's your gripe..? For all you know the place is above code and still cow poop smells like cow poop.

The thread started about farm dust, and to return to that, what good is EPA regulation of a tractor going across a field, when as I look outside now the wind is swirling tons of dust in the air, far more than a fleet of tractors could. Somebody has a gripe with Farmer Joes dirty tractor, and in steps the EPA.

I live down a mile long driveway through the woods with no neighbors. Being I own MY property and live in the woods. I kind of do what I want. If I had neighbors I guess I would consider being more curtious. Wouldnt want to hear crybabies like you

So me respecting others equals crybaby? Quite frankly, I still say you should get a clue. Even if I was wrong about your setup, your attitude and your 'consideration' about being more curtious if your situation was different implies cluelessness.

But again, can't fix stupid I guess... so have at it, be clueless.

Tes

Last edited:

but what if you become a flying human projectile:laugh:

I say embrace your freedom, if you don't like what is going on around you...move. It burns me when housing developments spring up downwind of a farm and then the people try to complain...nobody held a gun to your head, if you don't like what someone is doing within the law, buy them out or move.

Back ON TOPIC, a suggestion. Instead of bashing the current administration and insulting people like me, why don't you try to come up with a positive, workable way to deal with it.

Given the current situation, all I can think of is shutting down the EPA entirely, or at minimum a total rewrite of the Clean Air Act to set some very hard limits on the EPA's reach.

When rude people, such as somebody putting in a feedlot next to established neighbors, do such things without any consideration, THAT is what causes govt. rules to be made. Zoning sounds like a good thing.

If we are incapable of being polite and considerate of others, then laws are made to make us so.

Let me see, the opposite of the feedlot would be yuppy city people moving into a newly built housing development next to your hog farm and then complaining about the smell. They are the ones who are then rude.

I've not had bad breathing problems since rules were made forbidding smoking indoors and in rigs--at work. I also quit going on firefighting assignments. But you don't care about my health. I'm not important.

Read some of the posts where folks talk about burning tires, green wood, just about anything. Then you wonder why the government is cracking down?

Farming? I grew up in orchard country. We rode our bikes and got sprayed sometimes with whatever they were using to kill the bugs. The whole valley reeked of spray when that was being done. I don't think that was very healthy, and it probably needed a bit of regulating. I saw two guys spraying each other one time like they were having a water fight.

One rancher would take his cows to the auction right after they had been treated for bloat. The warnings on the bloat medicine said to wait a while before butchering. They rancher told my dad, "My family won't be eating it."

Could Farmer Joe perhaps talk to his neighbor before discing his field? They might like to close some windows and take the laundry off the line. They might then be inclined to let Farmer Joe know when Tweakers are siphoning fuel out of his equipment. Courtesy. Manners. That's what it is all about.

When rude people, such as somebody putting in a feedlot next to established neighbors, do such things without any consideration, THAT is what causes govt. rules to be made. Zoning sounds like a good thing.

If we are incapable of being polite and considerate of others, then laws are made to make us so.

Let me see, the opposite of the feedlot would be yuppy city people moving into a newly built housing development next to your hog farm and then complaining about the smell. They are the ones who are then rude.

I've not had bad breathing problems since rules were made forbidding smoking indoors and in rigs--at work. I also quit going on firefighting assignments. But you don't care about my health. I'm not important.

Read some of the posts where folks talk about burning tires, green wood, just about anything. Then you wonder why the government is cracking down?

Farming? I grew up in orchard country. We rode our bikes and got sprayed sometimes with whatever they were using to kill the bugs. The whole valley reeked of spray when that was being done. I don't think that was very healthy, and it probably needed a bit of regulating. I saw two guys spraying each other one time like they were having a water fight.

One rancher would take his cows to the auction right after they had been treated for bloat. The warnings on the bloat medicine said to wait a while before butchering. They rancher told my dad, "My family won't be eating it."

Could Farmer Joe perhaps talk to his neighbor before discing his field? They might like to close some windows and take the laundry off the line. They might then be inclined to let Farmer Joe know when Tweakers are siphoning fuel out of his equipment. Courtesy. Manners. That's what it is all about.

I would just about bet that you are a real hoot to spend time with. After listening to your daily demands on how one should live and act I"m quite sure you would throw in a multi hour treatise on your various aches pains and illnesses. Yessireebob you have to be a real people type person.

I would just about bet that you are a real hoot to spend time with. After listening to your daily demands on how one should live and act I"m quite sure you would throw in a multi hour treatise on your various aches pains and illnesses. Yessireebob you have to be a real people type person.

I see these kind of people on a daily basis. They have mentality embedded in their heads that everyone owes them something, but at the same time they have this yerning urge to want to feel involved/important or heard. So they make themselves heard by #####ing and complaing so much that you cant help but here the nonsense. They live in their condos, developments and brew. They stab the backs of farmers by crying to their officials about things that are petty, but in the long run will eventually shut the farmer down.

So me respecting others equals crybaby? Quite frankly, I still say you should get a clue. Even if I was wrong about your setup, your attitude and your 'consideration' about being more curtious if your situation was different implies cluelessness.

But again, can't fix stupid I guess... so have at it, be clueless.

Tes

You know what Cedarman, I apologize for going overboard on my reply, just people that burn with no regards to other people is just a button of mine to press. I see enough operators of wood burning devices just spill thick smoke from their stacks, whether it is an OWB or Stove or internal wood furnace.

Just not long before the real crybabies whine and ##### until our way of life (i.e. wood heat) gets regulated the crap out of it. I just love heating with wood, my family likes it too. Plus it saves us a crap load of money.

Your situation is different, if you're not harming any neighbor so be it, your place.

Tes

Back