...if you are a farmer you gotta see this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So me respecting others equals crybaby? Quite frankly, I still say you should get a clue. Even if I was wrong about your setup, your attitude and your 'consideration' about being more curtious if your situation was different implies cluelessness.

But again, can't fix stupid I guess... so have at it, be clueless.

Tes

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Listen to this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I lived in a development I would be more cautious about when or how I burnt my wood. But I dont so....:clap:

So what is it that you want me to do?? Burn less wood? Find some neighbors??? Plant a tree??

OOOOOOh I get it now, Because I live in the backwoods Im clueless

You know what Cedarman, I apologize for going overboard on my reply, just people that burn with no regards to other people is just a button of mine to press. I see enough operators of wood burning devices just spill thick smoke from their stacks, whether it is an OWB or Stove or internal wood furnace.

Just not long before the real crybabies whine and ##### until our way of life (i.e. wood heat) gets regulated the crap out of it. I just love heating with wood, my family likes it too. Plus it saves us a crap load of money.

Your situation is different, if you're not harming any neighbor so be it, your place.

Tes

apology accepted:yourock:

Most people who could afford to move have left. The town is now primarily elderly folks who can't sell their homes and can't afford to live anywhere else. I'm not sure why they should have had to move, many had been there 30 or 40 years before the feedlot opened. Most all have farm backgrounds but not many fed out a few thousand head at a time, all crammed in a small area. But, hey, they can adjust. They always have and always will. Its just sort of depressing to see another small town die off through no fault of its own.

And you sir, may want to go to the Sudan, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, or some other third world country where there ain't no guvmint to hinder your "I want to do anything that I want no matter who it affects and don't wanna pay no stinkin' taxes." mentality. Right?

Slowp,
I don't follow your analogy, are you comparing third world dictatorships to a Democratic Republic and suggesting that the reason that the Sudan and Afghanistan are inferior because of the "freedom" or lawlessness that is pervasive in a "free" nation. If so, your are respectfully up the wrong tree. Afghanistan is run by tribal dictatorships mostly adheering to Sharia law. Sudan, primarily by Islamics supported Sharia law. Ethiopia is on paper a Democratic Republic but clearly dominated by Sharia law.

Oh and if you're looking for answers look to our founding fathers that clearly stated that Governance by the People should be run closest to the people. Federalism is the root of many evils IMO. The Local legislators should have the larger say on what happens in the local area, not the Federal Government.

Proudly supporting the 10th Amendment with the 2nd Amendment.

Slowp,
I don't follow your analogy, are you comparing third world dictatorships to a Democratic Republic and suggesting that the reason that the Sudan and Afghanistan are inferior because of the "freedom" or lawlessness that is pervasive in a "free" nation. If so, your are respectfully up the wrong tree. Afghanistan is run by tribal dictatorships mostly adheering to Sharia law. Sudan, primarily by Islamics supported Sharia law. Ethiopia is on paper a Democratic Republic but clearly dominated by Sharia law.

Slowp is a self avowed Hussein supporter. Couple that with being sprayed with some kind of evil polluting bug juice as a child complicating her asthma and living in the same vicinity as evil doers who were trying to wipe out humanity and all other life forms at any cost. Would it really be fair to want or even expect an analogy or anything at all to make sense? Oh yeah and them SOBs also had the nerve to smoke on or in the rig.

When rude people, such as somebody putting in a feedlot next to established neighbors, do such things without any consideration, THAT is what causes govt. rules to be made. Zoning sounds like a good thing.

If we are incapable of being polite and considerate of others, then laws are made to make us so.

Let me see, the opposite of the feedlot would be yuppy city people moving into a newly built housing development next to your hog farm and then complaining about the smell. They are the ones who are then rude.

I've not had bad breathing problems since rules were made forbidding smoking indoors and in rigs--at work. I also quit going on firefighting assignments. But you don't care about my health. I'm not important.

Read some of the posts where folks talk about burning tires, green wood, just about anything. Then you wonder why the government is cracking down?

Farming? I grew up in orchard country. We rode our bikes and got sprayed sometimes with whatever they were using to kill the bugs. The whole valley reeked of spray when that was being done. I don't think that was very healthy, and it probably needed a bit of regulating. I saw two guys spraying each other one time like they were having a water fight.

One rancher would take his cows to the auction right after they had been treated for bloat. The warnings on the bloat medicine said to wait a while before butchering. They rancher told my dad, "My family won't be eating it."

Could Farmer Joe perhaps talk to his neighbor before discing his field? They might like to close some windows and take the laundry off the line. They might then be inclined to let Farmer Joe know when Tweakers are siphoning fuel out of his equipment. Courtesy. Manners. That's what it is all about.

Patty,

Farming in residentialy zoned areas is kinda uncommon, rare in fact.
Usually the Farm is grandfathered in, when the area is re-zoned because of residential creep or annexation.
Literally, the "New neighbors" would be the folks with the 1/2 acre lots.

Folks that build a residence in Ag/industrial areas, have zero room to run thier yap when the neighbor buys the ground next door and goes to tilling. That's what areas zoned "Ag/industrial" are for, and any diffwit with half a brain would realize that's what happens.
It would be akin to me moving out to your neck of the woods and complaining about the rain, or moving next to an airport and complaining about aircraft noise.

Your valley reeking of pesticides...back then it was likely Lime sulpher or guithion. It's a reality. I grew up in it as well, and was raised working in it and around it. Things have changed since then, and farmers have gotten a lot more sohisticated while adopting more effective AND less hazzardous practices. All the same, anybody that builds a house next to an Orchard should be smart enough to figure out there WILL be pesticides applied near them. Hopefully the farmer will be smart enough to not apply during a temp inversion with still air as you describe, or read the dadgum label that prohibits the practice with every pesticide/herbicide made.
We use Aerial spray service around here quite a bit, and they are so restricted as to conditions, you never know when the plane will be coming. Generally, the Pilot will buzz the field and let you know to get out, if folks don't, you get charged and he dosn't spray. If the citiot neighbors decide to stand within 100' of your field to watch, same thing. Because they are too stupid, we get to pay. Things have changed.

Your rancher example sounds like a peach of a guy, that needs his ass kicked.
Immunization and innoculation records of each head sold, go to the buyer.
If he's going off record and off label with the bloat, what else is he doing?
Folks like that don't do well for long, and sooner than later, most get nailed.

I agree folks need to be a little more considerate and neighborly.
They also need to realize that the penaltys for not living in the city are real, and if they don't like it, they need to move the hell back.

Having the EPA and other agencys waging war on guys trying to earn a living, is not common sense, cost effective, or even slightly neighborly.
It is what it is. Ecofascism.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
Prey Tell!

Do you have a sneak peek of the Hi-Lites you would like to share?:monkey:

:cheers:
Like I've mentioned before Yukon is involved with the new ASTM rules being finalized for the EPA...yes we are trying to have some impact on what the EPA does but we can only input and they(EPA) do not need to act.As part of the HPBA there are many meeting concerning anything that burns biomass...coal,wood,pellets in boilers,stover and furnaces and yes even fireplaces.

I've been sharing all along in these threads here at AS.
Here's a post that got no responses...
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=151448

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back