If you could have only one...MS440 or 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinglerM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I humbly enter the realm of the all knowing, all seeing chainsaw masters ;). I'd just like to say.....Thank you for taking my call.:rock: I have a couple of questions my first is in regards to a suitable chainsaw for leveling stumps. I need to level them in preparation for grinding. I think that overall, the MS 361 would be well suited to what I need to do. However, I'm leaning more toward the MS 440. Mostly due to the fact that it has more power, and would allow me to run a longer bar. Although, it may be more than I'd need, some of the time.
This brings me to the other obvious comparison ( I have used the search feature :( ) If I'm leaning toward the MS 440, why not also consider the 372XP? The second part of my question is.......mostly for those that own both of these saws. If you HAD to choose one, which would it be? The Stihl MS 440, seems a bit more expensive, are there other aspects of the Stihl's construction, that make it slightly better? I realize that I'm probably "splitting hairs" in comparing the two, maybe there are the intangible elements that make one better. So, if there could be only one......which one? Also, for future consideration...What would mak a good second saw, after owning a MS440/372XP?
Thanks alot for any help. I don't know what it is, but there is a real coolness factor about this forum and the experts that dispense all the great advice to us F.N.G.'s :buttkick: . I've really enjoyed reading through the posts. Regards,
Mitch

Six of one, half-dozen of the other by my way of thinking.

I'd go with whichever one feels best in my hands when wearing the bar of the length that I would most frequently use. To the extent that dealer presence and support is a factor, I'd weigh that factor as well.

At the end of the day, the price differential wouldn't really be a big factor. Sure, money is always a factor, but if I've learned anything with saws it is that a couple dollars saved today means nothing when you're frustrated with your great deal of a saw.

I realy like the feel of 044/440 better but as mentioned by computeruser the small amount in price would not sway me either way. As said try them both.

Rotax Robert

SinglerM said:
( I have used the search feature :( )

Thank you!!

Was there something more specific that you're looking for? (I'm asking so we can help you out more effectively.) These saws have been compared quite extensively in those threads, the pros and cons of each, and the recommendations to go with the one that feels better in your hand, and which saw can offer you better local dealer support, and so on. Was there something in particular that you're wanting to know?

As far as a second saw, what would you be using it for? That'd make a difference. If for firewood, it'd be a smaller 361, or if for milling, it'd be a 660 or 880. What can you tell us about that?

Welcome to AS and thanks for searching.

Jeff

Primary use of saw.

Fishuntcutwood,

The majority of the time I'd be using my saw to level various size stumps, in preparation for grinding. For me, some of the confusion in choosing between a Husky or a comparable Stihl is that alot of the Professionals here, like yourself. Have listed under your posts the various saws you own. Even though I've searched back through the "100 Billion" Husky vs. Stihl posts, I 'm always thinking.......If Fishuntcutwood, and others have both the MS440 and the372XP, one of them must be better.
Admittedly, there is a PIMP factor here, in having all of the various saws....That's why, I'm asking you guys, and your not asking me:laugh:
I gotta get at least 2 saws, now!!!!:rock:
Seriously, though. The big saw that I end up getting, will mostly level various stumps. The second saw will be used mostly for cutting limbs, and general trimming, mainly to have a lighter saw.
Things brings up another question......If I get a big Stihl, and a smaller Husky. Do they cross-contaminate each other. :D Does the balance of power get upset, until you have two small Husky's and one big Stihl, and so on? Am I doomed from the time I but my first one, to getting into a virtual arms race?
:ices_rofl:
Thanks for all the help. I'm looking for a big saw for heavy use, leveling stmps, and a smaller, but professional model for cutting limbs, and smaller stump leveling.
But I'll definately be getting two.:D
Thanks again.

Dealer makes it!

SinglerM,

I will reinforce what others have already stated: Dealer choice might be the number one deciding factor here. I really think you should do as others suggest and visit some dealers, tell them what you're looking for, demo the saws, and then talk price. You are going to spend a chunk of change to get two saws and I would recommend sticking with one brand (and one dealer). Once you test drive you will probably have a preference (and this goes for the saws and the dealer). Then begin to talk price. Buying two saws and maybe multiple bars and chains should give you a little more leeway on the price, but this must be tested. Ater visiting with the dealers you will know where you want to spend your money, and on what. In the end it might not come down to just price. Remember, you will be revisiting that dealer shortly for a readjustment after the saws breakin if for no other reason, and almost certainly returning thereafter.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

MarkG

SinglerM said:
Thanks for all the help. I'm looking for a big saw for heavy use, leveling stmps, and a smaller, but professional model for cutting limbs, and smaller stump leveling.
But I'll definately be getting two.:D
Thanks again.

If you stay on this site you won't stop at two.... :)

Cutting flush with the ground is pretty hard on a saw. All that abrasive dirt. Many people reserve this job for the worst saw/bar/chain they own.

Maybe you want to buy a big old second-hand monster for the flush cuts, and something sporty to take out on Saturday nights?

sawn_penn said:
If you stay on this site you won't stop at two.... :)

Cutting flush with the ground is pretty hard on a saw. All that abrasive dirt. Many people reserve this job for the worst saw/bar/chain they own.

Maybe you want to buy a big old second-hand monster for the flush cuts, and something sporty to take out on Saturday nights?

Mitch,
My advice to you is to get a 50 or 60cc pro saw and get comfortable with it for @ least a few months cause when & if you get the big boy, it ain't gonna respect you if you make a mistake out there.
I used my 2050 for 3 years before buying the 96cc'r, glad I did. I RESPECT that monster and don't want to think of the damage it could do to ya.
As for makes & models......Mark is right on with the dealer thing. If you can't adjust / repair them yourself, your gonna need a good dealer who's close.
Rotax Bob is also correct, the Stihl 044 (440) is a good machine to do both of your chores. I'm a Tool & Die Maker by trade & although I'm a Jonsered owner, my opinion is the Stihl stuff is high quality, (if not the best) , equipment.

All in all.........good luck & be carefull out there!

Singler, this site needs more "FNGs" like you! Yo've got a great attitude, and you speak well online.

Go with a dealer. The one that treats you better will make you a happier saw owner. The greatest saw in the world ain't crap without a good dealer behind it.

Jeff

A lot of factors to digest.

Thanks Fishhuntcutwood,

I appreciate all of the expert advice that ya'll are giving. The least I can do is ask respectfully, and be appreciative. I'm originally a machinist by trade, I know all too well the importance of having to respect power machinery. I also recognize that I know absolutely nothing about chainsaws. Thanks to everyone that offered advice and opinions for taking the time to answer my simple F.N.G. questions.:hmm3grin2orange:
After reading alot of the information on this forum, I have never really considered all of the factors that affect a chainsaw buying decision. Particularly, as was just mentioned, cutting near the base/dirt. Also giving consideration to what size saw vs. how much power a new guy can handle. I guess the main question to ask first, is what size. 70cc-60cc-50cc, and then go from there.
I had actually considered starting with a 50cc saw. But after some research, I figured that I most likely will need to run a longer bar, since I'll primarily be cutting near the base/wider part.
My aim is to have two different saws, each of them running a bar that is in the middle of the recommended size range. For instance, the MS440 and the 372XP, each have a recommended range of 16"-32", so I'm planning to run a 24" bar on that size saw. And then also have a 50cc size saw....like a MS 260 Pro, that has a recommended size range of 16"-20", so I'd use an 18" bar on that saw. That's my line of thinking, anyway. I'd also have the option of having an extra longer bar, say a 28" or so for the 70cc saw in the event that I ever needed to use something that long. And still be in the recommended size window for that saw.
A very good point was just brought up, also. About being able to handle a bigger saw/ it being less forgiving of mistakes. That's actually a very big concern of mine. My thinking there is that I'd wan't a saw to be within it's powerband, so to speak for a given bar size. That way it's cutting more efficiently. Am I thinking correctly there?
Being a machinist, I am also going to have all of the appropriate P.P.E., chaps, gloves, steel toe boots, eye, face and hearing protection.
I think I'm on the right track. I wouldn't have even known where to start without the benefit of the expertise on this forum. Once i gain more experience, then I'll get on with the business of adding a 3rd chainsaw:rock: .....gotta eventually get some credibility in ya'lls house.:laugh: ;)
Let's not forget the ultra cool chainsawing jackets, I've noticed some of you wearing, in your avatars. Gotta get me one of those too....:cheers:
Thanks again,
There are some really cool people on this forum. I've read some real funny ???? here too.:clap:
Regards,
Mitch

bwalker said:
The husky vibrates less, uses less fuel, cuts faster and cost less than the 440. FWIW I have owned and like both models.

I admit that I have never used any of the saws in question, but I have read lots of treads on the issue on this and other chainsaw forums.
Even the 361 is on the borderline to overkill for our Northern birches, so I have no excuse for buying a larger saw.

What Ben said, pretty much sums up the impression tha I got from all that reading. The 372 also has much better air filtration.

Comparisons of the 372xp and the 440 often concludes that the performance of the 372 is more comparable to the 460 than to the 440, even though both published specs and independant dyno results indicates otherwise. The reason(s) that it is so have also been discussed a few times, but no-one seem to really know.....

Last edited:
Mitch,

You're right on re. the 50cc saw to start with. My 2050 with an 18" bar does all the limbing and cutting up to around 8" stuff, then I get out the brute just to save time. They're light weight and you can use them all day and still lift your arms!
But.........a good 50cc saw will cut big wood, I cut hard stuff up to 24" with it for 2 years, as it was all I had. The thing worked it's guts out and never complained , other than the odd part falling off now & then, hence the reason for a "Pro" saw. My opinion re. the 372 & 440 is it's too much saw to start with. These are 3/8 chain type saws compared to the .325 chain on the smaller stuff.
Paul.

OK, so please correct me if I am wrong, but I was pretty sure Husqvarna stopped making the 372xp and replaced it with 570 or 575xp or something like that. True? Or is this just the US market?

Back to SinglerM, I was looking at the same two saws last year. At the time, I didn't even know about this site yet ended up doing what everyone here advises...went with my favorite dealer. They're good folks and it has made a difference. Good advice.

I liked them so much I brought in my pop's Husqvarna 266SE for service (was running like it was dropped in a bog). They're the first dealer that actually fixed it up right. I think it cuts better than ever now! What a great old saw!

mark

boatermark said:
OK, so please correct me if I am wrong, but I was pretty sure Husqvarna stopped making the 372xp and replaced it with 570 or 575xp or something like that. True? Or is this just the US market?

Hi,

I believe you're wrong. The 372XP is still made and is also still sold in the US but only in limited numbers (EPA regulations?). The 575XP is the replacement which does not seem to be too popular so far.

Bye

boatermark said:

That is true, but as the 575 sat on shelves and received a cool reception after the discontinuing of the 372 that everyone loves so much...well the 372 has shown up again in limited numbers in the US.

Back