if you could only have one saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I haven't ran anywhere near all the current saws but of the saws I own if I had to get rid of all but 1 I would keep my ms362 light good power can cut bigger stuff. Although my ms250 and cs3510 would be my 2nd and 3rd choice that 8 pound echo is nice.

Ok, I'll have to slightly modify my previous post. Now that I am a 500i owner, the 500i is for sure my pick. It weighs slighly less than my 044s and I can still easily run a 36" on it. It's also way better AV than my old 044s or my 066.

I used to not care about AV that much, but I've got carpal tunnel issues, so it's a big deal nowadays. I was more than happy with the power/weight ratio of both my 044s(ported big-bore cylinders,) but they put my hand to sleep.

The biggest negative about the saw, is probably the filter. It's 2022, IDK why Stihl couldn't do an air injection set up like most of their other saws or just about every Husky made in the last 30 years. I'll throw a Max-flow on it eventually, but the stock filter gets dirty in a hurry.

No argument about them being very expensive, but for the above reasons, the cost of admission was worth it.
Amen to that! The MS500i is the most enjoyable saw I ever used.

Had a MS361 for 15 years and it was a great middle of the road saw for everything. If I had to have just one the 361 was great but it was awful heavy for limbing and I wouldn't want to try to run more than a 20" bar with it. So, last year I bought a MS211 and MS661 and they have their places limbing and cutting big hardwood. Yes I know the 211 isn't a pro saw but it was dirt cheap, light, plenty of power for its size and it's disposable. It wound up being a great limbing saw even my old fat a** can work with all day. I had one of the newer 372xp's for a while but it wasn't enough bigger than the 361 to really make sense for me so I sold it and bought the 661 that I had really wanted.

It's a toss up between my Husky 371XP and Dolmar 5105SC (modded with 5100 muffler and porting). Although I've had the 371XP since new in 1999, I usually grab the 5105 to head out into the woods to fell and buck firewood. Its quick, light, and can handle any tree I would want to split.

Latest posts

Back