If you had a 50cc saw would you step up to a 60cc or 70cc saw next ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put an 18inch Oregon bar on for now. I have a 20 and a 24 ready to go. I will probably settle on the 20.
I wanted to compare the handling to my 2153 is the reason I started with an 18.

Terry, I really like it so far. I haven't put a tach on it yet but it sure seems to turn a lot of RPM's.

does it feel any heavier than the 2153 ? what brand 24" bar do you have ?

A ported Jonsered 2260 with a pro lite 20" bar is very tempting. Should be one of the lightest 60cc around and the bars interchange with the Husky 550xp as I am running 3/8 .050 on the 550xp.

I was hoping for a 2 saw plan but it may just end up a 3 saw plan.

Haven't heard much about what the wood size is and that matters most.

If wood is 24" and under I really see no need for a 2 or 3 saw plan.

For 24" wood i would be looking at a 372xp

Sent from my AutoTune carb

I would be looking using a bigger saw too.

The problem with a TechLite on a 2260 is TechLite does not come in smallmount.

I am still working on my saw plan. It may end up being 40cc-60cc-90cc. Redmax3800-Jonsered-2260 and then a 90cc to be determined. But I am going to see how the 572 turns out. I like Autotune.
I will have to see how the 2260 handles on smaller stuff. If there is not much difference between 2260 and 2153 in my actual use I will sell the 2153. My 576 is sold but not gone yet.

I would be looking using a bigger saw too.

The problem with a TechLite on a 2260 is TechLite does not come in smallmount.

I am still working on my saw plan. It may end up being 40cc-60cc-90cc. Redmax3800-Jonsered-2260 and then a 90cc to be determined. But I am going to see how the 572 turns out. I like Autotune.
I will have to see how the 2260 handles on smaller stuff. If there is not much difference between 2260 and 2153 in my actual use I will sell the 2153. My 576 is sold but not gone yet.

TechLite bars are nice i have one on my 562

For 24" wood i would be looking at a 372xp

Lots of 20" bar talk here. CAD seems the deciding factor not real big saw needs. Which is cool. I would skip the 60cc saws and run a light weight 28" on a 70cc. 50cc saws already taken care of the small wood needs. Limbing with a 70cc with 28" works well. I honestly rarely limb with my 50cc saw

Lots of 20" bar talk here. CAD seems the deciding factor not real big saw needs. Which is cool. I would skip the 60cc saws and run a light weight 28" on a 70cc. 50cc saws already taken care of the small wood needs. Limbing with a 70cc with 28" works well. I honestly rarely limb with my 50cc saw

Yeap Evan, every body works a little differently and we have different physical abilities too. I used to use a 3800 Redmax and 7900 Dolmar for everything.
Limbing can mean many things. To some limbing is cutting the limbs before dragging the log away. And to others limbing is cutting the whole top up for firewood.

Last edited:
Limbs can also come in many sizes.

Limb then buck into firewood and sometimes limb the limbs then buck em up.

For the price Terry is selling the 2260 ported for, the two saw plan is a no-brainer. Get two of them.

:rock:

For the price Terry is selling the 2260 ported for, the two saw plan is a no-brainer. Get two of them.

:rock:

I use to want two of everything I really liked but since retirement I can't do that. I want to die broke but the problem is I don't know when I am going to die.

I want to die broke but the problem is I don't know when I am going to die.

I've got the broke part down pretty good.

On topic: I'm in a similar boat and leaning towards bigger - 70cc+. I'm not looking for "more" of what the smaller saw(s) can do, I'm looking for what they can't. Also, as others have said, 60cc saws are usually the smaller end of a given chassis, while 70+ is the bigger end of said chassis, usually having better power:weight.

Of course, I'm thrifty, so it will really come down to what's the best deal.

Last edited:
Have a Husky 550xp and looking for a second saw a little larger. Was thinking the 562xp then thought of the lightweight version the Jonsered 2260 with the small bar mount and 20" pro lite bar as something similar handling to the 550xp but with more guts.
Well started reading and reading and now think maybe the 372xp or Jonsered 2172 ? Will probably get both 550xp and the second saw ported down the line.

Just didn't want to get something too large that never gets used. Could always run a 24" bar on the ported 60cc if needed. Have also considered the Stihl but the Husky/Jonsered seems like a better choice at this time but I do like Stihl a lot.

Would appreciate any insight you could offer,

Thanks

If your saws are all ported, then the stable is easier to keep balanced compared to having a stock 50 and a ported 60 and then a stock 70. Keep hanging around here and you will have a couple of saws that are not used very often due to lack of large enough wood. Length of bar is not really a meaningful measure of a saw.

76cc

Using a MS260 for an eon. Then I bought a MS362 year ago and "stihl" in love, but... I just when to the dealer last month and got a MS461 (76cc) I should have got that last one years ago... But after a while with the MS461, it's heavy, so I still cary in the tractor the good old MS260!

I got the 25 inches for the MS461 + the 18 inches; great fit for large sugar pines, and maple...

PS, I also have a SOLO 643 40cc, up in a tree, much better also to limb small branches.

If your saws are all ported, then the stable is easier to keep balanced compared to having a stock 50 and a ported 60 and then a stock 70. Keep hanging around here and you will have a couple of saws that are not used very often due to lack of large enough wood. Length of bar is not really a meaningful measure of a saw.

No were talking

i hope your enjoying your new saw

So, was the 2188 ported? Im stuck running earth moving stuff constructing the range right now. Would love to take a break and run the 2188 when it finally gets here.

I must admit that I seldom use separate saws for limbing and bucking in the woods. I lean more towards the saws that do both well, with the least weight and enough power to cover the size wood I am cutting. Having a choice of the size tree's I cut ( 50+ acres of forest) and being over 60 definitely makes my NE 346 XP the go to saw. Once I had Randy port it I don't even use my other saws any more. It cuts like a 60cc and has the weight of a 50cc. Plus it sounds just plain sweet. Any one that has never ran a ported and modded saw is really missing out on something special.

i hope your enjoying your new saw

I cut some more last night with tlandrum ported 2260. I filed the rakers down a little using the Carlton gauge. It did not seem like the saw was being loaded down enough. Bid difference, now it felt like a 70cc saw. Thanks t.

I've got the broke part down pretty good.

On topic: I'm in a similar boat and leaning towards bigger - 70cc+. I'm not looking for "more" of what the smaller saw(s) can do, I'm looking for what they can't. Also, as others have said, 60cc saws are usually the smaller end of a given chassis, while 70+ is the bigger end of said chassis, usually having better power:weight.

Of course, I'm thrifty, so it will really come down to what's the best deal.

Dolkita 84 or hvarna 394xp are the best values I know of unless you catch someone local In a weak moment.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back