If you had to buy a chainsaw from Amazon...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've got the Dolmar 6400 or Makita 6401 you won't really need a 50cc. I'd suggest finding a Stihl MS200, really zippy little saw. I hear good things about the Husky 339XP also, though haven't had one in my hands as yet. The Dolmar PS-401 can be found used and thats a really light powerhouse, even if a bit dated. Good deals on those out there.

Well, if you end up getting the Dolmar/Makita then converting it to a 80cc down the road then you might still want a 50cc saw, I dunno. I'm not sure how easy it is to do that conversion so make sure you want to get into that before you decide for sure to go that way. Even if you don't convert to 80cc the 64cc Dolkita is a fine saw from what I've read here.

I don't do a ton of cutting so I just use my 346 for everything. It's the only saw I own (besides clunkers that never leave the house anymore). My point is, I never find the need for a smaller (or bigger) saw than that, but I'm not climbing trees to cut and I'm not taking down much really big wood either. If you still want a 50cc saw and don't want to drop the big coin on the 346 later I would look at the Dolmar 5105 (still not cheap but less than the 346). Or maybe the Husky 353 which is similar to the 346 but not quite as high end and definitely a little cheaper and I think a little heavier (but not too bad). The Stihl MS261 is a great saw as many here will attest to, some say better than the 346. I've never run one, just looked at it in the store. I put it down pretty quickly when I looked at the price on the sticker :msp_scared:. Guys in Canada say Husky really jacks up the price up there so for them the 346 would be the saw with the sticker shock.

If you decide you want to go smaller than 50cc I'm not sure what to suggest as most of the research I have done was on the 50cc saws since that was what I was in the market for in the spring when I decided on the 346. I think someone mentioned the MS200 which I have heard is kind of the gold standard in smaller saws but don't hold me to that. Not sure if that would be too small unless you go with a three saw plan and still end up with a 50cc-ish saw as well. Lots of good used ones out there for sure if you have time to look around. If I end up going with more saws I probably won't buy another new one. Glad I did it for the 346 but not for additional saws.

Well, if you end up getting the Dolmar/Makita then converting it to a 80cc down the road then you might still want a 50cc saw, I dunno. I'm not sure how easy it is to do that conversion so make sure you want to get into that before you decide for sure to go that way. Even if you don't convert to 80cc the 64cc Dolkita is a fine saw from what I've read here.

I don't do a ton of cutting so I just use my 346 for everything. It's the only saw I own (besides clunkers that never leave the house anymore). My point is, I never find the need for a smaller (or bigger) saw than that, but I'm not climbing trees to cut and I'm not taking down much really big wood either. If you still want a 50cc saw and don't want to drop the big coin on the 346 later I would look at the Dolmar 5105 (still not cheap but less than the 346). Or maybe the Husky 353 which is similar to the 346 but not quite as high end and definitely a little cheaper and I think a little heavier (but not too bad). The Stihl MS261 is a great saw as many here will attest to, some say better than the 346. I've never run one, just looked at it in the store. I put it down pretty quickly when I looked at the price on the sticker :msp_scared:. Guys in Canada say Husky really jacks up the price up there so for them the 346 would be the saw with the sticker shock.

If you decide you want to go smaller than 50cc I'm not sure what to suggest as most of the research I have done was on the 50cc saws since that was what I was in the market for in the spring when I decided on the 346. I think someone mentioned the MS200 which I have heard is kind of the gold standard in smaller saws but don't hold me to that. Not sure if that would be too small unless you go with a three saw plan and still end up with a 50cc-ish saw as well. Lots of good used ones out there for sure if you have time to look around. If I end up going with more saws I probably won't buy another new one. Glad I did it for the 346 but not for additional saws.
You know when I lived in Ohio I cut all my firewood with a little 44 Husky( father of the 346). I cut some huge wood with that saw. A few years later I had the 032 Stihl and between the two I could handle anything within reason. But I remember cutting an ash that had blown down across a road in Bethesda, Oh that was about 3ft across with that 44! People couldn't believe it.

The Stihl MS261 is a great saw as many here will attest to, some say better than the 346. I've never run one, just looked at it in the store. I put it down pretty quickly when I looked at the price on the sticker :msp_scared:. Guys in Canada say Husky really jacks up the price up there so for them the 346 would be the saw with the sticker shock.

You got that right! Price for a 346XP here in southern Ontario is $769 so with tax works out to $869. The MS261 currently includes an extra chain and a case for $599, for an OTD of $677. The case and chain are worth about $80. You have to really be in love with 346XP ownership to justify almost $300 extra premium. :dizzy:

If you decide you want to go smaller than 50cc I'm not sure what to suggest as most of the research I have done was on the 50cc saws since that was what I was in the market for in the spring when I decided on the 346. I think someone mentioned the MS200 which I have heard is kind of the gold standard in smaller saws...

The MS200 weighs little and packs a punch, its a great little limbing saw. Absolute killer for wood 6" to 8" with a 14" bar/chain. Light, nimble, powerful and dead-on reliable. What more can one ask for in a limber? Oh yeah, find it used and now its more than affordable as well! :msp_wink:

Whew! You guys aren't making it easy on me. I might end up getting a Huqvarna 435 at a box store just to get me through the weekend.

I was planning on an eventual two saw line-up. Now, I am thinking maybe three.

I have around 70 acres of woods that I need to clean up and manage. It has not been managed for many years and is a mess.

There are some huge oaks that I am not planning on cutting until I get a bandmill (a couple of years away still).

In the meantime, I will be cutting some firewood, clearing a couple of cabin sites, and cleaning up the woods to promote better tree growth.

In reality, most of the cleanup is going to be cutting 4"-6" max. I probably won't be cutting much firewood until January.

Whew! You guys aren't making it easy on me. I might end up getting a Huqvarna 435 at a box store just to get me through the weekend.

I was planning on an eventual two saw line-up. Now, I am thinking maybe three.

I have around 70 acres of woods that I need to clean up and manage. It has not been managed for many years and is a mess.

There are some huge oaks that I am not planning on cutting until I get a bandmill (a couple of years away still).

In the meantime, I will be cutting some firewood, clearing a couple of cabin sites, and cleaning up the woods to promote better tree growth.

In reality, most of the cleanup is going to be cutting 4"-6" max. I probably won't be cutting much firewood until January.

Uh oh, you are showing signs of CAD. This is the beginning, mark my words. :)

Uh oh, you are showing signs of CAD. This is the beginning, mark my words. :)

So true.
It starts innocently enough, it all seems so rational, completely justifiable. And then you end up with 30 saws, 20 of which actually run.

OK, don't laugh, this is kinda out of left field, but if you are willing to buy something to tide you over not from Amazon and you just want a cheap saw for now, there is a certain national store that sells tractor supplies (trying not to break the rules here and mention a non-sponser retailer by name) that has the Poulan Wild Thing on black Friday sale for $100 with a hard carry case. I know, it's a Wild Thing, butt ugly, heavy for a 42cc saw and well, it's a Wild Thing. Lots of guys make fun of it, me included sometimes, just because of it's name and the neon purple and green colors that make it look like a toy saw but there are guys on this site who run them for years. Sure, it's about as far from a pro grade saw as you are gonna get but it would probably do the job in a pinch and serve as a loaner/backup saw later that you wont cry over when your neighbor comes back with it in pieces. And it's only $100 and I bet the case would fit other saws later since the Wild Thing is big for a 42cc saw. Truth be told, I'm awfully tempted to pick one up and I definitely don't need it!

Here, check out this thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/185307.htm

So that means you need 4 saws. A big 70-80cc saw, a 50cc-ish saw, a small limbing saw and the loaner/backup saw (like the cheap Wild Thing). Friends don't let friends go shopping with CAD, or do they.....:msp_biggrin:

Solo 656 or a 681 there is only 1 left and it's on sale

I still am a firm believer in the Solo products That I own . Both of my 681's are the best running pound for pound stock saw that I have ever handled. I think Amazon has one left right nowit says it comes with a 32" bar but it comes with a 20" bar and chain I believe maybe both I don't know about you but that what I would buy wiyh those gift cards . think of it like this if you know you are going to need a big saw and the last of the best power to weight ratio saw ever is about to be history and you have the chance to get it for $400 and some change free shipping 2 year warranty then save up a little cash and in a couple of weeks for about 3 months everybodies little 50cc barely used firewood saws will be up for sale thats how I got a new Dolmar 5100s for $250 very impressive little saw holds 11,000 in the cut and turns about 14,375 out of the cut I ported that saw myself and it screams ask ARTWOOD from here about my sawsI sold him the 5100s and a Makita 6401 BB 85cc both woodsported and they flat out rip just ask him he will tell you how they run. Any way get the big saw out of the way then buy a like new 5100s,5105,346,2153, or a RedMaxx5000 if you can find one even a 3800 is a little fire cracker at 38cc. But that's my take on the best plan of of attack you can always use a big saw but you are limited in what is possible and or practical with a little saw. Also you can ruin a little saw by trying to make it cut to hard for to long you have to figure smaller saw equals less surface area to dissapate heat and less area to spread the friction wear on like smaller bearings well you get it. Make the right choice I mean you already said that you have enough money to go and buy a Husky 435 so take that money and put it towards the 681 and be done with it now everybody please help me out here it makes sense right?:dizzy:

/

Ok, say I get the 64cc Dolmar / Makita.

Is there a better choice for my smaller / lighter limbing saw than the 346XP?

My 2 cents worth. I have 14 saws, some big some small, some in between. I have Homelite, Stihl, Poulan, Jonsered, and a Makita 6401. The Makita is the saw that ALWAYS goes with. I might take another one or two, but the Makita ALWAYS goes. I love that saw. I have used it to cut up a 48 inch diameter Oak and to trim twigs.

I might suggest renting one from Home Depot for a day, price is reasonable usually, and get a feel for it. Truth is that most all of the saws mentioned are good saws, I just have my preference, and it is the Makita.

Also, I guess that I don't get the difference of "sold by Amazon, and sold through Amazon". I'm pretty darn sure that the gift card will work either way.

No matter what you decide, I hope that you will continue to post, and also when you get what ever you get, unless you post a picture IT DIDN"T HAPPEN.

Best of luck and have a great Thanksgression holiday. JR

Logger4Life does makes sense if you definitely want a bigger saw now and want to spend a lot. If you are really just trying to get one all around saw and you're not sure about going for a multiple saw plan in the near future I'm not so sure that big Solo 681 is what I'd get. It's over $900 so if you have $500 to spend on Amazon you'd still have to pony up another $400. I think that's what he is saying. I'm not doubting it's a great saw but it's kinda big if you are going to be doing a lot of small stuff in the 4" to 6" size now, like you mentioned earlier. The 656 would make more sense but it's still almost $700 and still seems a little big for an all around saw, but I've never run one so take that with a grain of salt. They would be nice saws, just not sure they fit what you want right now, but only you can decide that.

I still say the Dolmar 510 of the original ones you listed on Amazon or if you can get one somewhere else just get the Husky 346 and never look back, you won't regret it. Or rent one for now or get that cheap Wild Thing probably for just a little more than the rental and who cares if it's not the best, it's only $100 if you get it at 5 am on black Friday at TSC and you can get your better saws later when you have more time and more options than just Amazon.

How is Solo when it comes to the average Joe getting parts?

Our local dealers (Stihl/Husqvarna/Dolmar) all stink. Whatever saws I get, it can be assumed that I will be doing the work on them myself.

Back