If you had to buy a chainsaw from Amazon...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All that has actually understood your original question has said the same thing: Get the 510! OK, now go do that!

It's not the best Makita made ever, but out of the ones you mentioned it is without a doubt the best! And it is a good saw, way better that the plastic box store alternatives! You will not regret it!

OK? Leave here, go cut wood and have a great time! Come back after the weekend - then we'll discuss your next chainsaw...

:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

EDIT:
Whatever saws I get, it can be assumed that I will be doing the work on them myself.

There's several sponsors on AS that can help you with parts, and the rest of AS talks you through every surgery your 510 might need in the future! How's that for service???

Last edited:
All that has actually understood your original question has said the same thing: Get the 510! OK, now go do that!

I waited too long and they ran out of stock. :msp_sad:

Oh well, my time window this weekend for wood cutting keeps shrinking anyway. I also need to install a window, build a wall, and prime some siding (in addition to underground conduit and cable pull).

On the bright side, that gives me more time to order from Baileys.

I waited too long and they ran out of stock. :msp_sad:

Oh well, my time window this weekend for wood cutting keeps shrinking anyway. I also need to install a window, build a wall, and prime some siding (in addition to underground conduit and cable pull).

On the bright side, that gives me more time to order from Baileys.

You just jerkin' our chains here, HP? I'm gettin' that feeling.

You just jerkin' our chains here, HP? I'm gettin' that feeling.

Nope, not at all. Items in stock at Ama*** fluctuate wildly due to the volume they move. I can't remember how many they had in stock yesterday, but it wasn't many.

I was waffling between the DCS510 or just picking up a Husqvarna 435 and waiting a few weeks to get the DCS6421. I kind of lost track of time and, *poof*, all theDCS510 were gone from Ama***.

My plan was to set aside some time this weekend to clear some trees to open up a view that is pretty nice. However, I am very behind on some construction projects and I may spend all of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday working on them.

I started with a husky 460 worked ok held up wonderfull. i gave it to my dad wen i bought a ms 460, he still cuts all of his fire wood with it. his 290 farm boss hasent ben started once he got the 460 frome me 6 years ago. and he dose not take care of aneything. i am suprised it lasted as well as it has i bought it the first year it came out and if i would have none to put better chain on it i probly would still have it.

You get whwt you want but remember this a 6421 Makita & a Solo 681 weigh the same

A Makita 6421 has a CAT muffler which is heavier than a non cat muffler like found on the Solo and the Makia 7901 which is the same saw as a 6421 but with out the cat muffler and has a bigger bore cylinder true weight is 14.1lbs PHO and a Solo 681 which is so close to the same saw as a 6421 makita that the BB kits will interchange weighs just a couple of ounces more like 14,4lbs so not a big deal. Also about parts just go to Solousa.com and you can buy any part that you need and alot of parts can be bought from a Dolmar dealer like the clutch,handle, and chain break parts. I own have owned 2 6401 Makita's and great saws but if I had half or more paid for I would buy the 681 it is already 80.7 cc and the so close to the same saw as a 6421 that the only way to tell them apart is one is red and has more power. Heck I tell you what you buy the Solo 681 and if you don't like it I will buy it $750 and you can get your 346NEXP or a new Dolmar 7900 or a 372xp whatever you want but for $400 out of pocket I would love to have that chance . Please let us knnow what you decide.

I haven't ruled out Solo. I threw together a spreadsheet to help me keep track of the data:

24v1bwm.png

Saws ranging from $269 to $930? I'd say you need to whittle down that list of yours somewhat. That or just give in and buy three of them at once! (You know you want to!) :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

You know, I admit I didn't check the specs before saying the Makita 6401 would be better than the Solo 681. I guess if the weight is about the same and you can afford the extra price maybe the 681 is a better way to go and avoiding a CAT muffler is a definite plus. Still, I think a 14 pounder as your all-around saw when you said you will be cutting a lot of 6" stuff seems huge. Not to sound like a wuss complaining about heavy saws but I know when I used them every day I got used to heavier saws but now that I'm a part time cutter I appreciate the lighter saws. I agree to add the Dolmar 5105 to your list and good job on your spreadsheet, I do that too sometimes for big purchases.

If you want the best power to weight ratio and you are no longer in a hurry, contact Brad Snelling on this site and order up a ported, muffler modded 346xp. It will cost the $490 for the new saw and I think about another $250 for the mods but don't quote me on that. I've never run a ported 346 but if you read some of the posts about them you will be impressed. If I had the extra coin I'd send mine to him to have it ported.

You guys are still under the impression that this dude is actually going to buy a saw and wants our input? Total window shopper.

In the event you actually do get a saw and judging by your needs. The rancher 460 is the saw I would buy. I have a 445(same exact saw as 450 but 5cc less) and a buddy of mine has a 460. Both of them are big retail chain saws and both of them are designed with your exact situation in mind. They are not proffesional, but are not junk. The 445 and 450 is great, but isnt intended for big wood all the time. It will cut it, but the rancher does it so much better. We have ran his 460 through the ringer cutting large wood all day long on several occasions and its the best bang for you buck for a hunting camp or farm type enviroment. The only thing i would change would be the bar.. His came with a 24'' bar IMO it was too much. The 18 cuts like a dream though. Get on youtube and look up rancher 460. they are great saws designed for your application.

You guys are still under the impression that this dude is actually going to buy a saw and wants our input? Total window shopper.

I am new here and don't know you. Even so, you come off a little bit like the south end of a north bound horse.

I will be ordering a saw this week from somewhere. Probably the Dolmar / Makita 510. There is no time pressure now, so it doesn't have to ship from Amazon.

Things snowballed a bit this weekend. I spent part of Thanksgiving day hunched over a hot plate, trying to bend 3" PVC electrical conduit to a better radius. Friday was spent getting more of the conduit in the ground. Saturday it rained. I spent all day yesterday bending more conduit, burying conduit, and pulling 145' of 4/0-4/0-2/0 cable.

Then I pulled the cable back out of the conduit because the supplier only sent 134' instead of 145'.

A really frustrating holiday weekend. Even if I had got a saw here in time, there would have been no time to use it.

Your questions really look like the proverbial tire-kicker. We get a lot of those...
Since you have time, I would cross the 510 off and go for either the 346 or 261. Personally, a 346that is ported would be the cat's meow and would be my choice...don't worry about durability, it will last a firewood cutter a lifetime.

I am a tire kicker because I care about how I spend my money? :confused:

Maybe everybody else goes out and buys the first shiny thing on the shelf. I spend a fair amount of time comparing specs and reading up on anecdotal first hand accounts before turning loose of my cash.

I absolutely hate junk - especially junk tools.

Not buying a saw is not an option. I have 70 acres of woods to maintain and we will soon be using wood as our primary heat source.

Additionally, we will be building some vacation cabins and will have to do a certain amount of road building and clearing.

No offense taken from your comment, I have been called much worse. What I haven't been called is subtle. You come across as a classic tire kicker. Simple as that. We WANT you to buy a saw, but only have so much good naturedness. You appear to be having too much fun playing saw buyer. An excel document? When you are sooooo swamped? You can see my point. Whether it offends you or not.

Being swamped is no excuse to fritter away money. :msp_tongue:

It took me less than 30 minutes to put together that spreadsheet (and I did it just before going to bed).

Back