If you had your choice,what would you burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

if you had your choice,what would you burn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
UpOnTheHill

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
Hard maple, ash, oak. Whe the maple and oak are well seasoned (2 to 3 years covered) its hard to beat. I burned about a cord of 3 year old maple last year, it was about perfect in really cold weather. This year I'm burning some nice ash, some oak that isn't ideally seasoned and a little maple that should have sat another year. It's heating the house well but not ideal moisture content. I just mix a split or two of ash with the others and it burns fairly well.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Hard maple, ash, oak. Whe the maple and oak are well seasoned (2 to 3 years covered) its hard to beat. I burned about a cord of 3 year old maple last year, it was about perfect in really cold weather. This year I'm burning some nice ash, some oak that isn't ideally seasoned and a little maple that should have sat another year. It's heating the house well but not ideal moisture content. I just mix a split or two of ash with the others and it burns fairly well.
sorry i forgot to put ash in the poll. i burn a lot of that too.

Cheesecutter

Cheesecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
If I could find enough to burn only one species it would be oak hands down. Temps above zero- I burn a mix of everything except oak, but when temps fall to sub-zero, I burn 100% oak.

flotek

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm blessed to be in an area that is bountiful in about all hardwoods that we desire as best . If I had to list my top 5 it would go
Oak
Sugar maple
Beech
Hickory
Ash
Oak hickory and hard maple
Really coal the best and that's where they offer the benefit of longer burns the hard part is being sure it's seasoned enough . Unfortunately the bulk of the best wood species take the longest to season correctly

BillNole

BillNole

ArboristSite Operative
I burn mostly elm and love it above most. It's mainly because it's so available, but also because I enjoy splitting it and I like the way it burns. Minimal pops and sparks to burn the carpets or dogs or even me when I'm stretched out in front of the fireplace after falling asleep during a football game or something. I listed hickory (Shag Bark) as I occasionally come across some and it splits so well and burns hotter than Hades! I also like ash, as it burns so well, but I don't get much of it. I'm not a fan of oak as it pops too much for my tastes.

As I'm so fond of saying... To each his own!

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
I get to choose what I cut & burn, so it is Oak! Mostly White & Black, some Pin, Post & Red. Standing dead Red Elm when I find it.

No Ash on our place here. Bugs eat up the Hickory & Locus too bad.

We save the larger Pine, White Oak & Walnut for the sawmill...

kennyl70

kennyl70

ArboristSite Operative
oak all they way...... Seems to last longer and burn better than anything. But as time passes I realize I do like to burn pine on the shoulder a lot. mix it 3 to 1 ..... 3 pine, 1 oak....... works great on days I am home and shoulder times

SDPrairie

SDPrairie

ArboristSite Lurker
Apple for smell, Ash for heat. It's most prevalent around here (SD). As to others, doesn't the poem end "...but ash wood wet or ash wood dry a king shall warm his sleepers by!"? You should add it to your vote ballot so I can cast one!

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
Dunno from "hard maple" as a species, but sugar maple shares the top of the list here in yankee-land. How did it not make the list?
Then there's apple, red & white oak (after three years' drying, of course.) Black locust, white ash & beech are right up there.
Pine & black cherry (such fragrance) for shoulder seasons. Chuck some ailanthus in then, too.
No favorite children here.

ReggieT

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
just curious. i know there are a lot of diiferent types of wood out there.feel free to add ones that are better.these are the most common in my area.the first two on the list are my favorites
WOW...talk about timing!!!
Just started a thread about 15 min ago entitled: "Whats Your Big 3 In Firewood"

Well...just 4 the record hedge, white ash & shagbark hickory!

stihly dan

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Different seasons and temps need a variety of types. So all are my favorite. I would say 2/3's of the big 4, then 1/3 of the rest.

Latest posts