If you only want ONE saw, this is it...(w/pics).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ran a modded 880 and modded 084's and 066. You will be all smiles. :D The only difference I noticed in picking up the guys 880 was how much more it weighed over the 084, it has to be close to 2LBS in a guess of feel.
They both have their place and you just cant have to much power at hand, get them all ;) .

So what's with the MS361 is nice but too expensive comments? From the looks of the SuperHunkyRanch I'm thinking you could somehow scrape up a couple hundred more dollars for that 361 if you wanted to.

Its all about compatibility!!!.

Remember, we mostly have much smaller trees to cut..(4''-8''). Anything larger than that is rare to find.

Sure, I could have "stepped-up" and bought the 361, but then I could have "stepped-up" to a 440, and then a 660, and then a 880, and then a backhoe, then a Terex, a tank, and ultimitely a nuclear bomb to fell endless trees!!

I only need a nice-powerful 50cc saw.

Again, if it's not "compatible" it is either too weak, or too heavy and buying the wrong saw for your needs is just stupid, unless you just want another toy.....[then it's okay!];)

Remember, we mostly have much smaller trees to cut..(4''-8''). Anything larger than that is rare to find.

Sure, I could have "stepped-up" and bought the 361, but then I could have "stepped-up" to a 440, and then a 660, and then a 880, and then a backhoe, then a Terex, a tank, and ultimitely a nuclear bomb to fell endless trees!!

Again, if it's not "compatible" it is either too weak, or too heavy and buying the wrong saw for your needs is just stupid, unless you just want another toy.....[then it's okay!];)

This is all true, but if you are only going to have one saw, it needs to be be able to cut any tree you need it to. For me this means a 70cc saw. It will pull a 28" bar if I need, but still be light enough to limb with. I think in the US that the 70cc saw is the benchmark, a true production saw. For me, if I have a saw that is a little to small I think a lot more about "I wish this saw would cut faster :( " than "This saw sure is light :) ". It is great to have a smaller saw and a bigger saw along with the medium saw (Three Bears concept), but if there can be only one its gotta make 5HP or more. My $0.02.

Ok OK!!!!! Here Goes,,,,,,

Stihl MS440 0r MS460 and a variety of bars,,,If I really could only have one???? I suppose the 460,,, but I love my 440/044's!!!!!

:biggrinbounce2: I'd have to sneak in an 066 or 056MagII,,, some how!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

I think you got it right.......:chainsawguy:

...but I cut some 4-14" ones today, and the 339xp did nicely, with a 13" bar.......

Stihl MS440 0r MS460 and a variety of bars,,,If I really could only have one???? I suppose the 460,,, but I love my 440/044's!!!!!

:biggrinbounce2: I'd have to sneak in an 066 or 056MagII,,, some how!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

OK, OK, No need to SHOUT!!!

JONSERED2095:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I made this vid a while back, prolly some of you have seen it. But here it is again:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rrPcNNsN27g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rrPcNNsN27g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

In order, on the video, piped saw 4.0, stock saw 5.85, then two more, but close to a knot, piped 5.7, stock-8.15.

Last three: stock saw with ported muffler 7.9, piped 5.6 bogged a bit, and 5.5 higher revs.

The piped saw is 16 months old, and was woods modded by Ed Heard. It is running 16 inch bar/3/8th chisel, half round ground and half square--I forgot to square file the first half--new chain just a bit dulled.

Stock saw is 16 inch bar, and .325 chisel, round filed. Sure, the same bar/chain and consistent wood should have been used. But you can see that the stock saw is a very strong runner for a small saw.

The 440 demands a SHOUT:rockn:

Sure, a great saw! Has cut prolly billions of bf of timber. I've had a couple...but the 372 is a bit better saw, and the 7900 better yet---at least for power if not design.

When all you need is a 18-20" bar, you gonna use a 372 over a 361?

You bet ... Since I got my 372, the 361 has not left the barn except for about 15 minutes to cut some cookies. The biggest thing I've cut with it so far just barely buried the 18" bar I have on it. The majority of the wood I've cut in the past couple of weeks have been around 10-12". It's FUN I tell ya, and dat's no lie. :D

I have been assimilated into the Magnumitis crowd.
assimilate.gif
Why trim a toothpick with a pocketknife when you have a 12lb monster maul handy? :D

Ian

I ran one saw for about 6 months... I agree with you, a 50cc saw (A very strong one) is a darn fine saw to cover about all tasks. You can hit the light stuff, and still produce some decent firewood in a little bit of time.

However, making the jump to the 60cc saws, well that just makes it fun.

Jumping into a 70cc saw... that makes getting firewood even funner. Next thing I know, im standing in a clear cut thinking "Ill never get this loaded up...."

I have yet to run a 441, I really want to... I think if I was going to do all my cutting on the ground, thats what I'd want for just one. My 361 is a fine choice right now for an all around saw.

But honestly... life is too short for one saw!

70 and 90 cc make a lot possible the fun would be a side benafit. Couldn't imagine cutting 40" plus with a 50 cc saw but then again I am a PNW"er. Like Gary said 044/440 28" is my do everything saw.

I would have to agree with Roger in one respect!!!!!

Sure, a great saw! Has cut prolly billions of bf of timber. I've had a couple...but the 372 is a bit better saw, and the 7900 better yet---at least for power if not design.

For the money on new saws with better antivibe,,,, but,,,,

since i sawtech part-time,,, Ive run into several 440/044's and have two great running 044/440's for well below the cost of even one new 372!!! and they suit my needs quite well,,,,, they may not be the prettiest saws but they are fully functional,,,and then some,,, and RB, unfair to compare a 79 CC modern marvel against a tried and true vet!!! ya wanka pullin Hornwort!!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have ran a modded 880 and modded 084's and 066. You will be all smiles. :D The only difference I noticed in picking up the guys 880 was how much more it weighed over the 084, it has to be close to 2LBS in a guess of feel.
They both have their place and you just cant have to much power at hand, get them all ;) .

Are you saying that there is only minor gains between the 066 and the bigger 8's? I hadn't considered the 084. Maybe that the best of both worlds. What is the weight jump from the 066 to the 084?

I know this saw debate goes on and on, but take it from a newbie that has both brands, I feel that my Huskys have a bit more power per class then my stihls, yet when thinking about making a race/mod saw, the stihl just seems right. It looks the part and you kinda feel like its meant to be even though the fastest saw I could find in a competition was a husky. just thinking out loud..

and RB, unfair to compare a 79 CC modern marvel against a tried and true vet!!! ya wanka pullin Hornwort!!!!
QUOTE]

Maybe, Rick, but the 7900 is in the same weight class. It's a great saw, but I dunno if I'd call it a modern marvel....oiler leaks worse than most saws I've had (hopefully the new parts I have will get put in and solve that) no wrap handle available, too small of an air filter that clogs, hard to start (could be due to a poor mod job by Dozer Dan?) very chintsy starter pulley design.....

Sorry about forgetting to PM ya back...Sure, look me up if you make it back our way!

If your not apposed to solid Orange, I think my 365 special is a nice solution. Its relatively cheap, its lite and it pushes a 26'' bar buried with the addition of a muffler mod.

No problem,,,

and RB, unfair to compare a 79 CC modern marvel against a tried and true vet!!! ya wanka pullin Hornwort!!!!
QUOTE]

Maybe, Rick, but the 7900 is in the same weight class. It's a great saw, but I dunno if I'd call it a modern marvel....oiler leaks worse than most saws I've had (hopefully the new parts I have will get put in and solve that) no wrap handle available, too small of an air filter that clogs, hard to start (could be due to a poor mod job by Dozer Dan?) very chintsy starter pulley design.....

Sorry about forgetting to PM ya back...Sure, look me up if you make it back our way!

Yah its a screamer, from all ive seen no doubt,,, I've never run one,,, closest dealer to me over 120 miles away,,, no dealer support,,, for me, not a big deal,,, I dont really need it,,, but the average user not good medicine.... We use the creamsicles in our family tree business's,,,(4 of them) ya know why???? they take the beating we put on them commercially,,, day after day, and we can get parts any where we work,,, Jody baby bro has the newest saw an 05 MS650 bought it during the storm clean up of Hurricane Rita,,, Im the oldest and consequently have the oldest saws,,, Go figure,,,

Ill be up in a couple of mo's I'm gonna look you up!!!!!! :cheers: I thought someone posted a pic of a 7900 w/a wrap not long ago?????

Last edited:
Yep, hard to argue with a 044/440, it's reputation precedes it by miles. I tried to find a used one that wasn't trashed. Looked for a 046/460 that wasn't trashed. Those saws get used.

You are looking a bit happy there. Nothing like the smell of two stroke in the morning. It smells like....victory.

Mark

Yep, hard to argue with a 044/440, it's reputation precedes it by miles. I tried to find a used one that wasn't trashed. Looked for a 046/460 that wasn't trashed. Those saws get used.

You are looking a bit happy there. Nothing like the smell of two stroke in the morning. It smells like....victory.

Mark

Thanks Mark,, Il take that as a compliment,,,, those pics were on the same job and the second pic was the next morning,,,,, I had flush cut that particular stump the evening before,,,, we felled 16 trees,,,,a mix of oak and pine the smallest was about 22" with the largest about 42" bucked them, loaded & hauled what was good to the Mill and ground all the stumps in 2 days not bad for two men who work regular jobs,,, Looked at another one today has 21 trees some pretty straight yellow pine!!!!!! about half of em going to the wood Mill,,, the others are culls to the paper mill yeah!!!!:chainsawguy:

Back