I'm fustrated....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

So I'm curious what the "right thing" to do might be ... it's not that clear to me? In a nutshell I believe this is what happened .. The master modified a clients chainsaw and sent it to him via USPS. I'm not sure but he may have insured the shipment. I don't know the Master but I would assume he is quite thorough and experienced when packing and sending a chainsaw package. His client does not receive the package and the Master has to deal with the USPS. Unfortunately without success. One year later, I purchase a "lot" of chainsaws that the USPS was selling. These saws were, for whatever reason, "lost during the shipping process". So at this point I'm purchasing items from a federal agency. This agency claims they cannot find the original owner. So what is the "right" thing to do at this point? .... Do YOU know? ... I will say that if the "right" thing is to do anything other than selling the merchandise and keeping the money ... in other words if that's the wrong thing to do. Then why waste my time and energy? Is it immoral or just plain "wrong" to purchase lost merchandise? Am I expected to return merchandise that I have paid cold hard cash for to anyone that stakes a claim? Sounds like the Master is friend to many and a great guy. Can we pretend for a minute that it's someone else? I truly am curious what the unbiased answer would be ... ??

Johnny the Alleged Thief.

hey john,, first of all welcome to the sight
now to answer your question,,,, now this is just me and I know a lot of the guys would say the same thing,,, this is exactly what I would do,,,,, sell the saw back to randy for what you paid,,, you get your money back and randy gets the saw to go through again and send it to the orginal owner,, its a win win situation for everyone,,,, now me,, since I now randy and I would even do it for anyone on this site,,, I personally would pack it up and send it out with a note saying "paying it forward",, in other words,, paying it forward on this site means I want no money for it but maybe some day I might need something,,,, on this site it is a fantastic thing,, I know,,, it has happened to me a few times,,, just last month one of the members sent me a saw and didn't want 1 penny for it,, long story so I won't get into the details,, it is all up to you

Hello,

So I'm curious what the "right thing" to do might be ... it's not that clear to me? In a nutshell I believe this is what happened .. The master modified a clients chainsaw and sent it to him via USPS. I'm not sure but he may have insured the shipment. I don't know the Master but I would assume he is quite thorough and experienced when packing and sending a chainsaw package. His client does not receive the package and the Master has to deal with the USPS. Unfortunately without success. One year later, I purchase a "lot" of chainsaws that the USPS was selling. These saws were, for whatever reason, "lost during the shipping process". So at this point I'm purchasing items from a federal agency. This agency claims they cannot find the original owner. So what is the "right" thing to do at this point? .... Do YOU know? ... I will say that if the "right" thing is to do anything other than selling the merchandise and keeping the money ... in other words if that's the wrong thing to do. Then why waste my time and energy? Is it immoral or just plain "wrong" to purchase lost merchandise? Am I expected to return merchandise that I have paid cold hard cash for to anyone that stakes a claim? Sounds like the Master is friend to many and a great guy. Can we pretend for a minute that it's someone else? I truly am curious what the unbiased answer would be ... ??

Johnny the Alleged Thief.

Hi! Good of you to show up with your side of everything.

OK...one saw lost in the mail issue will be resolved, now..you have other saws and..this whole post office "lost merchandise" deal leading to auctions is just wrong.

It isn't your doings obviously, but...something is just wrong when well packed merchandise gets "lost". How many tens of thousands of people lose their stuff? The post office accepts the packages, seems like they would be inspected then and accepted or rejected as to suitable for shipping.

I am just not understanding how things get "lost". Post office needs to sort out how to get labels to stick on boxes better, and have a question they ask the shipper, is there another label/tag affixed to the merchandise inside the box, yes/no? If no, they shouldn't accept it.

Maybe boxes should come not totally sealed, then looked at for an internal label or tag, then final sealing and shipping?

I haven't shipped that many saws, but have put a separate sheet inside the boxes with contact info, just as a matter of course.

To all those concerned,

The "master" and I are trying to work things out. I did not steal the Husqvarna 394. In fact I don't believe anything illegal occurred (theft of the Husqvarna 394) with the loss of this Husky. This item was purchased at a United States Postal Service (USPS) auction. Look it up. When a package, especially a large package is sent via (USPS) ... the sender is gambling. Don't expect anyone to lift a finger to insure delivery. It is my opinion that the slightest of package problems will get them kicked to the side. I don't really suspect a grand conspiracy or the like ... just some small percentage of employees that don't care. I'm sure making an insurance claim is a bureaucratic nightmare .. it's tough to get money from an organization that's bled dry.

So I'm pretty sure this unfortunate occurrence will fall into my usual "no good deed goes unpunished" file. Sounds like the vigilantes are getting ready to "string'm up" with zero evidence. btw some self righteous fed or prosecutor may see some criminality there ... not that I'm going to say ####e.

So can y'all hold your horses for a bit? I bet we can figure out a reasonable solution.

Thanks,
John

It probably wasn't the best statement but keep in mind that Chainsawjohnny was in his own little world today when he woke up. He bought some stuff at a USPS auction and tried to flip it on fleabay. He hasn't done anything wrong. When his auction went viral on AS several members on here contacted him. There is no telling what they said to him. He may have been threatened; if not, he sure feels threatened. Not to mention, he has read this thread where people have talked about getting his address and paying him a visit. He was probably thinking what the ####'s hornets nest have I walked into.

So he shows up here with his back against the wall and the AS posse in front of him. One of his posts has already been deleted so he tries again. Was it the best first post on AS? No, but put your self in his shoes. He didn't have to do anything but he is here and he is working with Randy. Let's commend him for that and offer to do what it takes to make it right for he and Randy. We don't know his situation.

I'm done. Good night all. Saw on.

All this is great.....but he has not contacted me at all.

Man, if my masterminded 394xp were lost, I'd prolly have a team of private investigators out scouring the 4 corners of the world. Well, maybe not, but I would be very unhappy. I suspect there was no actual wrongdoing here. Package lost, usually a claim paid, people buy lots of these items and sell them. Same thing with airlines. Word of advice to John, don't sell low production volume, signature modified and rare items on national sites. I would check every 394xp auction on eBay forever if mine went missing. Good luck to y'all

If it were me I'd try to break even selling the other saws from "the lot" and ship mastermoobs the saw even though those saws belong to someone else also. I'd also never support the USPS again by purchasing from their auctions. I can't believe they profit by selling things that don't belong to them. :dizzy:

Gotta love our Guberment. :msp_rolleyes:

The post office is in a position of trust, this is completely disgusting.

and Randy, my 261 is just fantastic! Thank you!

Tom did send me a 394XP to help with the loss. I also traded my MS460 for one. Then I traded a woods port and another saw for yet another one. Then there was the labor......I ported three saws in all this. Here's the thing......I'm an overachiever of sorts. When I knew Preston's saw was gone and that I would have to replace it......I went at it whole hog so to speak. :laugh:

The one I got from Tom ain't the one that Preston ended up with. He ended up with the one I got from Neal.

This dude "chainsawjohnny" has yet to attempt to prove that he bought that saw.....hell he might work for the postal service and be a damn thief. I doubt that is the case but he hasn't contacted me. For all I know he's just wasting time trying to cover his tracks.

Now what would be the right thing to do? I'm not sure......that truly depends on the facts.

If he is a postal employee, he needs to go to jail.

If he just bought this saw at a USPS auction, it would be great for me to get it back for what he had invested in it.

If the shoe was on the other foot I would make it right, not talk just about it.

If I do get this saw back I will give it to Tom.

Tom did send me a 394XP to help with the loss. I also traded my MS460 for one. Then I traded a woods port and another saw for yet another one. Then there was the labor......I ported three saws in all this. Here's the thing......I'm an overachiever of sorts. When I knew Preston's saw was gone and that I would have to replace it......I went at it whole hog so to speak. :laugh:

The one I got from Tom ain't the one that Preston ended up with. He ended up with the one I got from Neal.

This dude "chainsawjohnny" has yet to attempt to prove that he bought that saw.....hell he might work for the postal service and be a damn thief. I doubt that is the case but he hasn't contacted me. For all I know he's just wasting time trying to cover his tracks.

Now what would be the right thing to do? I'm not sure......that truly depends on the facts.

If he is a postal employee, he needs to go to jail.

If he just bought this saw at a USPS auction, it would be great for me to get it back for what he had invested in it.

If the shoe was on the other foot I would make it right, not talk just about it.

If I do get this saw back I will give it to Tom.

Plus you're a midget. :(

Is this a bad time to tell you that JJ has sent you a 660 for me?

No not at all. The incident with the 076 was just one of those things. It has an offset combustion chamber with a step into it. My cutter caught the edge of that and dug in, making a nasty groove. It would never hurt the way the saw runs, but it ain't right. I've located another jug and will be using it.

Does a Postal auction give you clear title?I you have some thing lost or stolen, have proof of ownership and have not been compensated for your loss it's still yours.Say you've had firearms stolen,they've been reported and are on record.If you walk up to a table at a gun show or into a gunshop 10 years later and there lies your gun you have the right to reclaim your property on the spot.Whomever holds that property regardless of provenance after the fact of the loss/theft is SOL.This happened several years ago in the case of a very rare MM UDLX farm tractor.Someone tracked it down after 30 plus years,was able to establish prior ownership and theft and plucked a 150K collector piece right out of someones shed.

how do the police get round "lost property"? Wouldn't it be the same?

I just read up some on these mail recovery centers. They are supposed to go out of their way to find the owners, then ship the article back to them if possible. Letters that are undeliverable and have no other way to contact someone, get shredded. "Stuff" gets auctioned except for contraband/illegal things they find.

With your inquiries to the PO, your obvious sticker on the saw, a grand total of three saws in this auctioned off lot, etc., I am not getting it on why you didn't get the saw back in the first place. Someone at the post office screwed up, or this was done delibarately. And they found it, but then wouldn't get it back to you, is this correct? And no insurance money either..man..more weirdness.

As to CSJ, ball in his court now what to do. He registered and chimed in so I would guess something will get worked out.

If it was me, I would still recontact the postal inspectors and find out exactly how a very easy to ID article, with the owner making inquiries on it, wound up being auctioned off. This still smells bad. I am not believing a "simple mistake" here. Even if the package sorting machine destroyed the label, or it fell off, etc., this saw obviously would have been extremely easy to find, I mean, day to day, how many "lost" chainsaws do they have floating around the atlanta facility?

I just read up some on these mail recovery centers. They are supposed to go out of their way to find the owners, then ship the article back to them if possible. Letters that are undeliverable and have no other way to contact someone, get shredded. "Stuff" gets auctioned except for contraband/illegal things they find.

With your inquiries to the PO, your obvious sticker on the saw, a grand total of three saws in this auctioned off lot, etc., I am not getting it on why you didn't get the saw back in the first place. Someone at the post office screwed up, or this was done delibarately. And they found it, but then wouldn't get it back to you, is this correct? And no insurance money either..man..more weirdness.

As to CSJ, ball in his court now what to do. He registered and chimed in so I would guess something will get worked out.

If it was me, I would still recontact the postal inspectors and find out exactly how a very easy to ID article, with the owner making inquiries on it, wound up being auctioned off. This still smells bad. I am not believing a "simple mistake" here. Even if the package sorting machine destroyed the label, or it fell off, etc., this saw obviously would have been extremely easy to find, I mean, day to day, how many "lost" chainsaws do they have floating around the atlanta facility?

I'm still thinking I should call the FBI with this whole thing......but I'll wait till this afternoon.

His attitude leads me to believe he's bragging about he's not at fault. I called his bs last night but they deleted my post. That's no big deal as they asked us to shut up. But if he wants to do what's right he'd go to the post office. He'd tell them he's not happy with them selling stolen goods and wants a refund. And then you can iron something out if he's wanting profit.

I'm from Missouri I'm a visual person. When he shows Randy a receipt and a check stubb then I'll stop suspecting foul play. For him to act like he's in a position of power is in poor taste. He's got a chance to save face. Just hope he does it.

Has he had direct contact with you yet Mastermind? He obviously has your number and means to talk if he chooses to do so.

He asked alot of questions in his post, but they seemed to be more rhetorical than actually looking for answers. In fact, i don't think he would have to search his soul or knowledge base too deeply to reach the logical conclusion. A wise man once said, to treat others the way you wish to be treated. I think this directly applies here for you and him. You both need to walk in the others shoes and come to a reasonable agreement. In no circumstance should that agreement result in anything but you getting your saw back and him being reimbursed for his costs, shipping and some time. It is what reasonable adults should conclude.

Randy has a significant investment in this saw, of money and time. Johnny has an invest of what he paid and what shipping would be and the time he took to pursue and win it. Realistically, bit are innocent party to a major head in butt manuever by the USPS.

Just my $0.02. hope you get it resolved.

Has he had direct contact with you yet Mastermind? He obviously has your number and means to talk if he chooses to do so.

He asked alot of questions in his post, but they seemed to be more rhetorical than actually looking for answers. In fact, i don't think he would have to search his soul or knowledge base too deeply to reach the logical conclusion. A wise man once said, to treat others the way you wish to be treated. I think this directly applies here for you and him. You both need to walk in the others shoes and come to a reasonable agreement. In no circumstance should that agreement result in anything but you getting your saw back and him being reimbursed for his costs, shipping and some time. It is what reasonable adults should conclude.

Randy has a significant investment in this saw, of money and time. Johnny has an invest of what he paid and what shipping would be and the time he took to pursue and win it. Realistically, bit are innocent party to a major head in butt manuever by the USPS.

Just my $0.02. hope you get it resolved.

No direct contact......only thru ebay and that was just saying he wasn't a thief basically.

If you don't hear from him by the time the fbi is open for business then a phone call is in order. Innocence in this case should be relatively easy to prove with a paper trail. Let them poke things with a stick and see if anything crawls out...

Latest posts

Back