Im goin to buy a chains saw tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have several friends in neighboring towns who work on daries. you would probably be happy with an ms361 (or at least i know i am. i just got one). but if you want to stick with husky and you want more umph, i say go with the 372xp. you'll have all the power you're likely to need for work on the dairy and you'll have a saw that will last a lot of years. i know i'd like to have one.:greenchainsaw:

Remember now that he is 16 years old and that may be just a tad much until he gets some more experiance.At 16 I don't see him having to much.Not trying to dis anyone but safety first.Not even sure you can legally purchace one untill you are 18.But that may just be here in NY

Remember now that he is 16 years old and that may be just a tad much until he gets some more experiance.At 16 I don't see him having to much.Not trying to dis anyone but safety first.Not even sure you can legally purchace one untill you are 18.But that may just be here in NY

Well I'm sure that is easy to get around, "Hi I would like to buy a saw for my dad's birthday". Honestly how many 16 year olds are in the market to buy a chain saw, most are looking to get MP3 players, computers and video games.

Husky154 - Power to ya, get what you like and be safe. :clap: :clap:

that is a good price, consider that 346xp lists for $799.

the 357xp will be a badazz saw for a 16 year old.

do it now and never regret it.

:clap:

Good point. Safety is so often overlooked.

At 16 I got my first chainsaw, and I didn't have anybody that insisted on showing me the ropes.
I am probabaly safer know because of all the dangerous things that I did, but I am also lucky that i didn't get hurt while learning from the school of hard knocks.
If you're thinking about a bigger saw you should also think about more safety. The small saws can do just as much damage, but the bigger ones do it QUICKER. Hold on to that thing tight, watch the tip of your bar for kickback, don't move the saw around when the chain is moving and not in wood, watch for the tension in the wood, watch above you (wear a helmet, a 1 inch limb can kill you), know what you're cutting and what your chain is doing at all times, etc, etc!

Bill

If you're thinking about a bigger saw you should also think about more safety. The small saws can do just as much damage, but the bigger ones do it QUICKER. Hold on to that thing tight, watch the tip of your bar for kickback, don't move the saw around when the chain is moving and not in wood, watch for the tension in the wood, watch above you (wear a helmet, a 1 inch limb can kill you), know what you're cutting and what your chain is doing at all times, etc, etc!

Bill

+1

I didn't take age into consideration when making my reccommendations. Since i'm a novice compared to most of you, what do you think about learing on an ms361? i learned the basics on an xl-12. wish i had the 361 at the time to learn on.

357XP's run a little over $600 around here. I wish I could justify buying one. I just don't have a need for one and have a million other things to spend $600 on. But if I was only going to have one saw it would be a 357XP with an 18" b&c. I could get by just fine with one. I really like the way the saw feels. My friend has one and it's been great, he really likes it.

Back