I'm gonna buy a new hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For the last 20 years I've been using a $5 Big Lots piece of garbage that holds an edge about as good as plastic silverware, so I've decided it's time to upgrade. I'm not going to be hatcheting professionally, so I want to keep the price reasonable. So far, I've narrowed it to: 1. The Fiskars X7 2. Estwing 14" Camping Hatchet 3. Husqvarna 13" Hatchet. Obviously, these are 3 very different designs, but my main concern is one that is going to stay sharp and last a long time. I read some feedback on the Husky, and have some concern that several people mentioned that the heads snapped in half. Is this something they've fixed, or should I avoid that one?

Never heard of that issue on the Husky, perhaps there was a defective batch?

I haven't used an Estwing. They do seem to be very high quality though.

The Fiskars is a good tool. Steel quality isn't up to standards of a quality German or Swedish axe but they work very well nonetheless.

I like my Fiskars X7 . I mostly use it for carving decoys. had it about 10 years, hold an edge real well and no problem keeping it razor sharp.

Are you going to use it for camping??

I like the "Silky" hatchet, (amazon)
f45721b8-669f-4348-ad7a-d98a080b2fc3.jpg

AND their saws are absolutely amazing too!!

SR

I have an old plumb shingleing hammer broken off and re sharpened again. If I were to buy a new one of buy an estwing they make the best hammers. Grab a hatchet and take it in the woods who knows what it will be used for. Better be a solid hatchet.

Grab a hatchet and take it in the woods who knows what it will be used for. Better be a solid hatchet.
True, the Silky has a full one piece steel tang, you won't be breaking the handle on it.

Also, the rubber that's over the steel is replaceable...

SR

The X7 is so bloody short. I love the darn thing but accuracy is challenging. I feel like I would be more effective with the longer X11 which has a 17" handle.
The X5 is considered a 14" hatchet. They consider the X11 a splitting axe.

I like my x7, I carry it in a plastic milk crate I have bungee corded to the rack on the back of my ATV. The edge holds fine for my needs, but I use it primarily to drive felling wedges, not for chopping. So, for me, it clears brush and any low limbs for me to get comfortable work space around the base of a tree, then for driving felling wedges. As I approach a tree to cut, I carry it in the hammer loop on my cover-alls.

And, I admit, I've never tried the husqvarna, so I really can't do a comparo. I'm curious about the amount of chopping folks are doing with a hatchet?

I agree. Longer handles are more versatile. You can always choke up on a longer handle.

The X7 is so bloody short. I love the darn thing but accuracy is challenging. I feel like I would be more effective with the longer X11 which has a 17" handle.
The X5 is considered a 14" hatchet. They consider the X11 a splitting axe.

It's all personal preference.

I see no use for a hatchet except for cutting off stringy fibers while running the hydro. Otherwise give me a house axe, boys axe, or standard axe. I carry a house axe (think halfway between a hatchet and a boy's axe) in my SUV and a boys axe in my truck. They've saved the day a few times.

Latest posts

Back