I'm new. What should i learn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl4life said:
I can use a chainsaw, but what else do i need to know?

Safety First....
Safety First....
Safety First....
Safety First....
Safety First....
Safety First....

Oh did I forget to mention Safety first...

Learn to use a chainsaw without dulling it. Being able to sharpen it is good, but nearly as valuable as being able to keep it sharp. I find that bending my knees over the years not only helps keep the tip out of the dirt, but relieves back stress. My dad taught me this when I was twelve, and I've yet to find a guy that can keep the chain out of the rocks and dirt. Sure, they look great when the saw is sharp at first, then they get a little tired, nick some dirt, it starts taking longer, I get agitated waiting for them to finish so they can help me with something else. Plus they always leave stubs when cutting brush for the chipper, they always cut 16 to 18 inches when I tell them one foot or two foot. I could rant a while, but take it to heart. And if you do dull the saw, tell somebody. Oh yeah, safety first.

on your knees

Hey i do a lot of sawing on my knees when cutting small logs into firewood rounds. A mate saw me the other day and laughed...so what ;) ...my back feels better and the saw stays sharper longer.
Ps the padded chainsaw pants help!

Stihl4life said:
I can use a chainsaw, but what else do i need to know?
U can use a saw ?
Yep!
Who taught U?
Uncle Bruce!
Hows he doing?
Well...he was falling a tree a something went wrong..an well he didnt make it!
And he taught U?
Yep!

if you can used chainsaw, that great but more importantly is safety, always wear saw chap pant no matter how hot it is outside so you don't ended up cut your leg off, wear hard hat, good size limb can crack your head alike egg shell ,saftey sunglasses in nice brighty day can also save your life so you can see what going on up there and keep saw chips out your eyes.one more thing, if you hear saw started from the tree, you better get out the way becuz climber may forgot to call out warning, don't expected the climber lookout for you, you need to lookout from them... good luck
Treeman67

Safety 1st. But then remember to pay your dues, we all have. If someone tells or ask you to do something just do it, as long as it does not cause harm to you or anyone else, is illegal, immoral, will damage Co. or homeowners property. Don't be KIA (know it all), remember we have been doing what we do for some time. Nothing worse than the new guy trying to tell us old guys how to setup and do our job, watch, listen and learn. Don't pick-up the bad habits of others. And above all Safety 1st. as well as stay clean on the job, meaning no drugs or alcohol. So far the only guys I've seen get hurt, have been under the influence.

Good luck to you.
Stay Safe and Clean.:)

Learn something about tree biology. It's nice to know what to do once you're up in the tree.
http://www.treedictionary.com/ is an interesting site, and written at an easy enough level that a young arborist wouldn't have too much trouble understanding.
Much of the stuff on the site is inspired by Dr. Alex Shigo. His style of teaching tree biology is great. He tends to show how things apply to real life tree work, and not so much like a text book.
In almost every sale of treework, the customer will ask you questions. Being able to answer them goes a long way to landing the job. That said, don't ever be afraid to admit you don't know. Just let them know you can find out and get back to them.

First things first, scrap the stihls, and buy a bunch of Huskys!!!!:laugh: just kiddin' - use whatever you suits you best. I'm pretty new at the "arborist" scene (and i don't claim to be one yet), but i've been using a saw for a looooong time. I've found out that using a saw in a tree is verrrry different from using one on the ground! Sometimes the adrenaline rush of being 50 - 100ft in a tree can influence you to make rash decisions. Take it slow!!!!!!! That's what i've learned keeps me the safest. I don't care if the guys on the ground are trying to light a fire under your butt:angry2: , think before you act!!! I've sliced my kneecap open sectioning down a tree, but i still haven't learned the importance of chainsaw chaps! (i'll try to post my pic on the injuries thread). The chaps are so hard to climb in!! Oh, and spend the money up front and buy quality and comfortable equipment!! It pays for itself!! Good luck!!

Crane Maas, Monkey. They all nailed it guy. Read their posts again, you can feel it. I felt it.

Back