I'm Thinking of Buying an ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATTYB11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I realize that this may be a little off the topic for the firewood forum, but this is the section I visit the most on this site. The vehicle will also be used in gathering/transporting firewood so I think that qualifies. Let me start by saying that I have never owned an ATV before, and I do not know much about them. I have just started the research process for this purchase, and I wanted to get the opinions of some of the members here on them. The advise I have received on this forum has never let me down in the past. I am not set on a brand or model at this time (there sure are a lot of options to choose from,) and I have some leeway with the overall cost. As previously stated the ATV will be used to gather and transport firewood, as well as recreational riding. I would imagine that four wheel drive and a winch would be a must have.

My questions would be;
1. Are there any specific models or brands to stay away from?
2. New vs. used (at this time I am leaning toward new) ?
3. Are there any specific models or brands that you would recommend?
4. What size engine?
5. Any must have options.

I have learned enough so far to realize that like anything else, some people have a fierce alliance to specific brands (think Ford/Chevy or Husky/Stihl.) with that being said, I'm not trying to open up that type of debate, rather just seeking real world opinions and experiences.

Thank you in advance for your time and replies.

I guess one option to also think about would be a side by side. I was always sure I would like an ATV as well, now that we have a Polaris Ranger 6x6 at work this would definitely be my first option. I guess some of your questions could be answered by the type of terrain you will be traversing. A 6x6 won't do to well in thick woods because it is larger and doesn't turn as well, but it has a large bed that you can fill with quite a bit of firewood. I have never used an ATV with less than 500 cc's, that one is nice, then we got the newer model with 750 cc's and it just plain goes through anything!

I have a Suzuki King Quad 450 which has been an excellent machine. I have owned 3 Polaris's in the past (Predator 500, Explorer 300, and Sportsman 700) with the predator being the only machine not to have mechanical/electrical issues.

A winch is a must have.

I like Honda, own three right now, especially like my 500cc with the high low range gear box, very reliable can pull alot of trailer..... A high low range box is a must IMO if you are pulling trailers in the woods trails ect
Also friends have Yamaha's and they are great atvs also...

Full Disclosure: I own two Polaris ATVs

Here are my observations and preferences:
1) We use both of them in the winter so for us 4WD is a must. Plus one gets used for light plowing duty.
2) Trail riding is great if you have trails. From where I live we have to trailer for a few hours to get to good trails. Otherwise the only areas to ride around here is the road ditches and on our 10 acres.
3) Do you already have the firewood trailer? If so, figure out the loaded capacity as this will help determine CCs required.
4) Many models, especially the larger ones, offer low range
5) I'm assuming you're looking at a utility quad an not a sport quad?
6) One of our ATVs is 250cc and the other is 300cc. These are smaller than I'd like but they get used by the kids also.
7) For wood hauling I'd be looking in the 500-700cc range.
8) Most of the big manufacturers offer a belt drive automatic transmission. This is what both of mine use and it's also what I'd be looking for in a new machine.
9) I'd go with a major brand (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawi, Polaris, AC, Bombardier) that has a good local dealer.

Kubota RTV 1100

I use a Kubota RTV 1100 to haul all my firewood. I tow a trailer behind it along with the side boards. It does an excellent job.

XTROOPER

Full Disclosure: I own two Polaris ATVs

Here are my observations and preferences:
1) We use both of them in the winter so for us 4WD is a must. Plus one gets used for light plowing duty.
2) Trail riding is great if you have trails. From where I live we have to trailer for a few hours to get to good trails. Otherwise the only areas to ride around here is the road ditches and on our 10 acres.
3) Do you already have the firewood trailer? If so, figure out the loaded capacity as this will help determine CCs required.
4) Many models, especially the larger ones, offer low range
5) I'm assuming you're looking at a utility quad an not a sport quad?
6) One of our ATVs is 250cc and the other is 300cc. These are smaller than I'd like but they get used by the kids also.
7) For wood hauling I'd be looking in the 500-700cc range.
8) Most of the big manufacturers offer a belt drive automatic transmission. This is what both of mine use and it's also what I'd be looking for in a new machine.
9) I'd go with a major brand (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawi, Polaris, AC, Bombardier) that has a good local dealer.

Good advice here!

I would recommend a Polaris Sportsman 500. Plenty of power to do your firewood chores and have some fun with. I have owned 2 of them and have had lots of fun and gotten a lot of work from them.

My wife and I are avid ATV riders. We stated out using them for farm chores and soon started spending our vacations in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada and Montana. We have also ridden in Wisconsin, Tennessee and Kentucky. We have been on several episodes of the TV show "Fishers ATV World".

Currently, I ride a Can-Am Outlander 800 XT and my wife rides a Polaris Sportsman 800. Both are great workhorses. The Polaris is geared a bit lower, has better racks and the throttle is soft, making it a bit more "friendly" for working. The Outlander has more power, is more sporty to ride but the throttle is "touchy" and the racks aren't as user friendly.

The Yamaha Grizzly is a good machine. 2 of my riding buddies have them. They have suffered some problems with broken axels and oil consumption but for the most part have been good machines.

Look at all of them that you can. Get as many test rides as you can and find one that you like the most. Keep in mind that the dealer can make or break a good or bad machine. You need a good dealer that will work with you if issues arise.

Hope this helps you. If you need any more "opinions" just ask.

I'll put in another vote for the Polaris Ranger. I know it's not an ATV, but it is a real work horse.
I bought mine used this spring. It's an 06 with a 500 cc engine. It will climb hills that you wouldn't believe, while carrying 3 grown men and a 65 gallon water tank. When I stretch it's legs it'll run between 40 and 45 mph. I have pulled a 4'x8' trailer that had about 1/3 cord of oak in it.
I'm a little biased, and I've never owned anything else. But I just can't see how I could ever need anything more.

Andy

I just bought a Yamaha Grizzly 700 and am liking it so far. I got the power steering and man it sure is nice. I also have a Yamaha Kodiak 400 I bought new in 99. The Kodiak has been a great machine and I have had absolutely no problems with it. The Grizzly has independant rear suspension and hugs the ground way better than the Kodiak. As far as towing a firewood trailer goes the Grizzly is the machine. It has plenty of power and also has diff lock. I have a 3000lb winch on it with synthetic line. When you are looking for a winch I would reccomend getting the steel cable. I broke the synthetic the first time I used the winch. If you arent in a hurry December is a good time to buy. I bought the Grizzly in December as a 2010 leftover about $1500 cheaper than when I priced the same machine in July.

Does anyone have experience with diesel ATV's?

Sorry to derail your thread.

Do yourself a favor.....before you buy make sure you check out a side by side. I have a Yamaha Rhino and now hardly ever even use the regular quad. Not only do you have a box to put all your gear in, but they also ride much nicer and have amazing capabilities for pulling or snow plowing.

Careful when buying used! Lot of seemingly good looking deals, until you find out later they've been submerged which will lead to extensive repairs.

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI x2 2007 model (x2 means the rear dump tray can turn into another seat) i have done over 22000km on the bike hunting,firewood ect and the only thing i have changed is the tyres,no problems at all totaly recommend this ATV.

attachment.php

If you like the idea of a sisde by side but aren't going to ride it for funsies, take a look at the gator 6x4. I've added a winch, box side extensions, and a couple tool racks to it to make it my swiss army knife for going wooding.

I have owned quite a few over the years and will always reccomend the Hondas. Gear drive over belt any time you are pulling anything. The Polarisis are nice and the independent rear suspension is a must for a smooth ride. IMHO, stay away from the can am outlander. I had a 650 and all I ever did was take it to the shop. Engineered by a group of idiots in my opinion. Constantly overheated when worked hard pulling and when you have to take the battery out to charge it, you will fully understand my frustrations. They engineered the can am like it is the space shuttle. Way overkill and high maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

With regards to side by sides I can recommend the kubota RTV. We used them extensively on horse properties, doing everything from pulling heavy trailers to carrying gravel. After several thousand hours we have had zero problems. I cannot say the same for the likes of JD gators, polaris, etc. they may be fine for some weekend fun but they are far from real 'work' vehicles. The ones we have tried spend more time in the shop than anywhere else.

Just my 50cents :D

First of all let me say I don’t personally own an ATV, and never have… but dad has owned a ton of them over the years that are kept up at the family lake home, beginning with the original three-wheeled type, and I’ve used them extensively.

I won’t add a lot, beings I haven’t ever “owned” one and all I’ve ever used are Honda brand. But I do want to throw out this warning. Most “utility” types have floor-boards, and most “sport” types just have foot pegs… If you’re gonna’ be using in timber where there are branches, logs and other debris on the ground stick with the floor-boards. Dad broke a foot riding the type with foot-pegs when his toe hooked on a branch that dragged it off the foot peg, and I hurt my leg severely when a similar thing happened. After that dad started adding “foot-guards”, and now he’ll only buy the type with floor-boards. I also have a friend who got his toe caught between a stump and the foot peg, crushing his foot… he’ll never walk “normally” again.

I have a Polaris Sportsman 700 that I have been trying to work into my firewood routine. The ATV is fun and is great for getting around the property quickly but lacks the umph needed to skid big logs. It will hold my saw and cutting gear but not much else. Pulling a loaded trailer downhill on the logging road can get spooky. I don't have to travel off my property to cut so I can't speak to that but the best ATV for gathering firewood is my tractor. If you are looking at the purchase of a new ATV you owe it to yourself to look at a good used tractor. It is a tool well suited to the job.

If a side by side, John Deere Gator XUV

For a quad, I have experience with Honda, Polaris or Can Am, I have found these to be durable and quality machines. Can't really downside other brands, but can support these.

I had a kawasaki and a Suzuki atv. I bought a Kawasaki Mule and in no time sold the atvs. The side-by-sides are more expensive but will do twice the work of an atv. My Mule will haul several hundred pounds and pull 1300. It is far more comfortable than an atv also.

Everybody is making the uvs now, but Kawasaki made one of the first and it is still made to work. Many of the uvs have plastic boxes, are hard to service without removing seats etc., and are made to go fast which is dangerous. Many are marketed to the go-fast crowd and have small carrying boxes. The Mule has a large METAL box and is geared to work. It only runs 25 mph which makes it a farm vehicle in this state and it can be driven on a road with a slow-moving vehicle sign. It is easy to service and you have total access to the motor.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the atvs as they are all pretty good. If you want a uv, I would just advise you to look at the vehicle top to bottom. Look at the amount of plastic, the setup on the suspension, the strength of the frame etc. Drive it and then compare prices. Some are really good vehicles, but are very expensive and some are still expensive and not very good. I will not get into brand bashing because each can make their own decisions on that part of it. I have friends that have experience with several kinds and so I have my own opinions of the other brands.

I just sold my old Mule and bought a new one. It has fuel injection and power steering which is a big plus over the old one. They have been great machines for me. I also have a 40-gallon spray system that slides into the box.

Back