Improving performance on a Stihl MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPLUMB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What all could be done to my MS260 to wake it up a little? Without shortening its life :laugh: And do you think its worth it? Its a firewood saw. Thanks :rock:

I do like the 026/260 saws.
Passed on one to my dad, barber and have a couple for personal use.

A muffler mod will do wonders for it. Might need a Walbro Wt-194 Carb for carb adjustments after the mod.

And, yes, it's worth it.

Just open the muffler up with 5-6 3/16 holes and use .325 non safety chain like Stihl's RSC or RM. My MM 026 out cuts my stock NE non cat 346. Sorry folks, but it really does.

Just open the muffler up with 5-6 3/16 holes and use .325 non safety chain like Stihl's RSC or RM. My MM 026 out cuts my stock NE non cat 346. Sorry folks, but it really does.

Well yeah, it's a stock 346 against a muff modded and chain swapped 260. That isn't comparing apples to apples... more like pears to apples. Bet if you muff modded the 346, it would out cut the 026. There's no point in saying a modded saw or vehicle or whatever is faster than a some other stock one... it's a given... if both saws are modded, I bet the Husky would come in first. Also, you're running a narrow kerf chain... that changes the game again... the 346 is running 3/8" chain, am I correct?

Just pointing that out.

It's like me saying my 84 Maxima can own a Geo Metro. Well, duh, 140 hp vs. barely 70 hp.

Not bashing... just making sure you know apples to apples comparisons are needed to say something with reasonable accuracy.

What all could be done to my MS260 to wake it up a little? Without shortening its life :laugh: And do you think its worth it? Its a firewood saw. Thanks :rock:

As for that, I say you need to port it, and muff mod, then carb swap and tune it for proper running. I bet you will love it. :) In fact, a modified saw can actually run cooler when tuned properly and the muffler allows more heat out... so it should be beneficial to the lifespan of your saw.

Here, read this thread... http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/108900.htm

This helped me a lot on how to do porting. To start out, just widen the ports... don't raise or lower them. This thread should have a lot of the info you need. Good luck and be sure to post pics of the project! :cheers:

Well yeah, it's a stock 346 against a muff modded and chain swapped 260. That isn't comparing apples to apples... more like pears to apples. Bet if you muff modded the 346, it would out cut the 026. There's no point in saying a modded saw or vehicle or whatever is faster than a some other stock one... it's a given... if both saws are modded, I bet the Husky would come in first. Also, you're running a narrow kerf chain... that changes the game again... the 346 is running 3/8" chain, am I correct?

Just pointing that out.

It's like me saying my 84 Maxima can own a Geo Metro. Well, duh, 140 hp vs. barely 70 hp.

Not bashing... just making sure you know apples to apples comparisons are needed to say something with reasonable accuracy.

I don't think he was saying that as bashing a 346. I think he only meant to make the point that the muff mod helps the 260 drastically. You know the 346 is faster stock, alot faster. if the muff mod made the 260 faster, I think it's safe to say that the muff mod helped out alot, right?
Why should it matter what he's comparing, if all he's saying is that his mods gave his 260 the edge?
I'm not trying to argue. Well, actually I guess I am. The guy just stated a point. It's not a given that a modded saw is going to be faster than a stock saw. Is your modded 346 faster than my stock 660? :D Also, he never said that the 346 would'nt be faster modded. He only said that it was'nt faster stock. Which seems to me gives the OP an idea of what kind of gains he could get by modding his saw, which is why he started the thread. :msp_tongue:

Thanks guys. Since I started this thread I took my saw in to the Stihl for stalling issues. After it was heated up If I sat it down for a minute and picked it back up it would die sometimes. I was worried about hurting it.They said it was turning 17000 RPMs :msp_scared:when 1st throttled up then running out of fuel it would slow down, and its supposed to be at 15000 RPMs at least thats how I under stud it.

After checking it all over and re jetting it they couldn't slow it down? or just couldn't get it to run right. So they recommended a new fully adjustable carb. and modded the muffler.:clap:

Sounds real good but I'm sorry to say I haven't cut anything with it yet. To muddy back there. Thanks for the info.

When I bought my 260 new it had the fixed non adjustable carb and it had idle issues as well. I installed the WT 194 fully adjustable carb and opened up the muffler and it made a huge difference in the saw. Both jobs are very easy to do on a 260 so don't be afraid to tackle it yourself.

Steve

....After checking it all over and re jetting it they couldn't slow it down? or just couldn't get it to run right. So they recommended a new fully adjustable carb. and modded the muffler.:clap:

Sounds real good but I'm sorry to say I haven't cut anything with it yet. To muddy back there. Thanks for the info.

Did the dealer modify the muffler? Any pics of it? do you have the number of the dealer?

Here is one I made yesterday.

Thanks,
Scott.

026muffler003-1.jpg

I put a W-194 carb on mine and drilled two more holes in the muffler cover. The picture you can see the factory hole, I just drilled two more the same size. There was a huge difference in performance... It also runs better too. Good luck they are great saws...

View attachment 176552

I don't think he was saying that as bashing a 346. I think he only meant to make the point that the muff mod helps the 260 drastically. You know the 346 is faster stock, alot faster. if the muff mod made the 260 faster, I think it's safe to say that the muff mod helped out alot, right?
Why should it matter what he's comparing, if all he's saying is that his mods gave his 260 the edge?
I'm not trying to argue. Well, actually I guess I am. The guy just stated a point. It's not a given that a modded saw is going to be faster than a stock saw. Is your modded 346 faster than my stock 660? :D Also, he never said that the 346 would'nt be faster modded. He only said that it was'nt faster stock. Which seems to me gives the OP an idea of what kind of gains he could get by modding his saw, which is why he started the thread. :msp_tongue:

Well, I didn't think of it all that way. You're right, he was just trying to explain that the mods make a big difference in how the saw runs.

Sorry bout that.

Well, I didn't think of it all that way. You're right, he was just trying to explain that the mods make a big difference in how the saw runs.

Sorry bout that.

It's cool mang! We all have ours days. I thought I may have came off as kind of a prick. Glad you took it the right way! :cheers:

346 vs 028 vs 026 vs Echo 520

Well today for the first time since I've owned them my NE 346 beat my MM 026. We did a test in alder of four 50 cc saws. YWK should have a video soon. I don't know what the times will show but the 346 was the strongest feeling with the Echo second the 026 third and the 028 last. The 346 and 026 had .325 18" RSC setups and the Echo and 028 had 3/8 20" setups.

Latest posts

Back