imput on painting a stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
anyone here every paint their stihl? my 66 is look'in a bit used. i tried to clean the plastic but it appears to stained deep within it. i see original stihl orange on ebay, but i'm having a hard time visualizing the end result. or is there an alternative i'm over looking besides leaving the :censored: thing alone?

thank you, Jon

sand degrease and clearcoat. krylon clear is what i used makes the orange look like new.

Do a search on the subject Andy and Brad both have done extensive write ups on the subject.

this is sanded

i think down to 1200
combo1.jpg

combo.jpg

top ones sanded and cleared, bottom 026 is like new

saw looked like this when i got it.
2saws.jpg

Last edited:
Don't sand it, sanding really messes up the coloring.

Not if you follow up with clear coat.

Forget Stihl orange paint. It's about as good as colored water. It takes a million coats to cover and has ZERO fuel resistance. Your best bet is to get some custom matched tractor and implement enamel from a good hardware store.

for the plastic?

ive never heard of painting color on plastic. exscept in autos with special primers and paint

New fellar, whats wrong with that 064 in the sig?

I sanded my 394 top cover and clear coated. I like it, but wish I would have gone with the sanding steps. I only scuffed it a little and cleared. But with the time and patience, it can be done

Not if you follow up with clear coat.

Forget Stihl orange paint. It's about as good as colored water. It takes a million coats to cover and has ZERO fuel resistance. Your best bet is to get some custom matched tractor and implement enamel from a good hardware store.

I just don't like the clear coat idea, maybe if I had a flat finish clear coat.

Hey Brad, your chain is on backwards.

HAHA, made you look. If you dont mind me asking, with all that perty plastic, why didnt you paint the handle?

Latest posts

Back