in need of a little saw but which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boike

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a replacement for an 018 that has seen better days. I am looking for a good saw with good power to weight ratio. I have a Dolmar 5100, and a 372xpw, so keeping it small and light is the primary objective. I will use it for limbing, and doing some TSI work around the farm/woodlots. I have a lot of cedar(under 12") and other trash trees to keep down. The 018 served me well, but it was lacking in power. I would like to stay with a good quality saw that will last longer than the 018. Its been a good little saw, but is pretty limited.
SO a few of the choices I have been looking at are the ms 200(no need for a top handle) the 339xp. The 339 is pretty ugly, but does handle well. On the Stihll website they list the ms200 as an 'occasional use' saw, but I thought it was the same as the 200t in the pro class(for the price it better be!).

What saw will work the best, and last the longest?

Most saws will last a long time if you take care of them well. As to getting more power than the 018, there's a lot of choices. Mostly it comes down to how much you want to spend and what ergonomics you like.

+1

You can run 12"/14"/16" Rollomatic E and E-Light bars as well as Oregon NF bars/chains.

The MS211 is a strong running saw that will easily fill the gap below your 5100. The head weighs in at 9.5 lbs, so it's only a bit more weight than the 018 with more grunt.

Don't know about the engine and how many hours it's rated. I have always thought the MS200 had the same pro quality engine as the 200T.

Based on the sound and feel of the MS211, it seems like it's going to be a strong and long lasting model. There have been a number of positive reports from heavy users of the 211.

Happy shopping.

thanks for the replies. I was not intending to check out the Dolmars since I am no longer near a good one, but I may have to drop by. As for the 211, it seems to be quite a bit heavier than the others, and I am looking for a good SMALL saw. The 211 is pretty close in weight to the 5100 which I can certainly keep on using for this work. I always did like the 018, but it needs more power for sure.

The 180 head weighs in at 8.8 and the 211 at 9.5. That's very close. IMHO, the choice of bar and length is what really adds the operating weight to the saw.

The only way you're going to get more power at the smaller weight, is the ms200 at 7.7 head weight, but at 2-3x the cost.

Good luck with your purchase. I'd love to hear what you choose.

BTW... Doesn't the 5100 head weigh in at 11.2 lbs?

Last edited:
the 180 head weighs in at 8.8 and the 211 at 9.5. That's very close. Imho, the choice of bar and length is what really adds the operating weight to the saw.

The only way you're going to get more power at the smaller weight, is the ms200 at 7.7 head weight, but at 2-3x the cost.

+1 ms211

Husqvarna 435

For $270 at 41 cc., might look at one of these.
It is a little powerhouse of a saw.
I have one, it seems to have more power than other box store saws of
this size. It is a little testy to start sometimes, but light and nimble
once you get it going.

Brad Snelling did some tests on small saws recently. Dolmar401,Redmax3800 and some Stihl, he looked at build quality and stock vs. modded performance. The Redmax did very well. I have been using one for about a year and really like it.
I just bought a new one for $199.
You might search his threads on the small saws.

thanks for all the replies!
The 5100 head weight is just under 11 lbs.
From the reviews. I will have to check out the redmax. I was originally intending to go with the two saw dealers that I know in the area(husky and Stihll) but I will have to check the Redmax out, along with the 211.

Is the ms200 really worth the extra $$? I wont use it every day, but I am also not afraid to keep it for quite some time too.

Back