Incorrect chain for Husky 254XP? Sprocket help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqy254xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, some of you may have seen my thread about getting my husky 254XP up and running, well it runs now so I bought a bar and chain, just ordered up a Ozaki one to get it all going, I had never heard of them, might be OK don't know. I am going to head out to my local shop to get a couple different sizes and types once I know things are all going to work OK.

I bought this:
Ozaki (Made in the USA) 18" Guide Bar & Chain Combination
Pack consists of a 18" Guide Bar 1.5mm 058 (Replaces Oregon 163SLGK095) and a 72 Link 325" 058 chain.
It specifically says it will fit the Husqvarna 254XP but it doesn't it's too big on the sprocket:

20160224_232458_resized.jpg
I cleaned away the filth and it says POWER MATE 3/8 - 7.

Now I really knew very little about all of this until about an hour ago, I made the connection between the number on the sprocket and the pitch of a chain, so I assume therefore someone has set the saw up to run a 3/8 chain, but I have gone and bought a .325.

The good news is that it seems I have a .325 - 7 sprocket on my other 254XP so I should be able to change the drive sprocket round and use this chain/bar combo I have bought.

I guess this chain would have fit my saw, and will work on the bar I now have:

Oregon Type 73 LPX Chain, 72 Drive Links - Chainsaw chain 3/8" 1.5mm 0.58

The question is this, what are the benefits of the different sizes, I would prefer to run this most common size of chain on my saws, so which is it, I can get a new .325 - 7 sprocket for about £5 so I can run both these saws on the same types of chain but is there a size to pick?

Thanks!

Neither chain pitch is intrinsically better or worse than the other. The 254xp is at power level that is kinda on that tipping point where it can run either with satisfactory results. If it were my saw, I would run .325" on it - that should be smoother, particularly in thin/twiggy stuff where 3/8" may want to jump the bar more, and the smaller diameter .325"/7 rim will net a bit more torque than the 3/8"/8 rim (which is essentially the same diameter as .325"/8).

Neither chain pitch is intrinsically better or worse than the other. The 254xp is at power level that is kinda on that tipping point where it can run either with satisfactory results. If it were my saw, I would run .325" on it - that should be smoother, particularly in thin/twiggy stuff where 3/8" may want to jump the bar more, and the smaller diameter .325"/7 rim will net a bit more torque than the 3/8"/8 rim (which is essentially the same diameter as .325"/8).

Thanks for the info.

Well luckily what I have bought it was you recommend so I will stick with it and order up another .325 - 7 if and when I get the second 254 going. This also means I have a compatible chain with my Homelite.

Normally the DL count between a .325 and .375 (3/8) chain is different for same length bar. IE: K.095 18" Bar length .325 chain would 72 dl and the .375 chain would 68 dl. The reason for difference is the DL spacing.

The .375 chain you listed is actually for a 20" K095 or similar designed bar.

Right, I took the sprocket off my other 254 and tried to fit it, no dice, the part on the drum which the sprocket slips over is a different size, so I took the whole drum assembly and sprocket over and all worked well.

Made a small dent on my pile of logs to be processed into firewood. Very impressed, lots of grunt. I think I need to do some tweaking, there appears to be oil about the chain but not as much as I would expect, the oil is old and has got quite thick, might clean out the oil tank and refresh it. Can I put kerosene or diesel in there to clean it out?

Back