Info About Stihl 009 needed New electronic Ignition.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drizler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 009 with electronic ignition which has crapped out. I have replaced it with a Husky but due to its nice condition otherwise I want to repair it for a spare, tree climber ect. Where can one get an ignition for a reasonably price, used is fine?
Also can anyone tell me when they started the 009 series and what year they went to electric ignition? Thanx:blob2:

drizler

Check with your local dealer, the ignition module may be covered under warranty as some have life time coverage.

I do not remember ever seeing an 009 with points, and yes the newer units are covered under a lifetime warranty. If not
the saw is not worth a new coil. I will also venture to guess
that you do not need a new coil anyway. Maybe 1 out of 50
of the customers that come in wanting to order a new coil,
actually need a coil.
The spring rush is here, with the long line of customers with
various electrical components in their hands, so I am a bit
cynical.
Since you live in the USA means you live near me, bring it by and
I will tell you what you need.

Clarification, Sorry?

I had a brain fart and forgot the crux of the problem. My father-in-law gave it to me in Germany where he bought it some years back and used to cut firewood. Thats why I am scrounging like I am. When it packed it in I bought a Husky 141 and the darned flywheel loosened and spun off the cast in keyway. Aren't I lucky? Aluminum key now thats top notch isn't it?
At any rate I know the ignition for an 011 is the same but I lost the PN.

Is the saw light grey or orange? I have a nearly new ignition for an 009 that I'll sell for 1/2 price of a new one (it's off a smashed saw!) I'll look the price up tonite.

The dealer said it was dead Fish

I took it in and had the dealer check it out. They said that it was shot. The saw was used stop and start clearing brush and limbing so it rarely got hot. I would put and limb a couple 5 4-10" cedars and then limb them then drag them away. Lots of stop and start with about a tank a day tops. The saw only has about 10 running hours on it.
I am in the process of dickering over an old saw for next to nothing but do let me know how much for that used coil Sedarman . The saw is an orange and white one.

Latest posts

Back