Insert or free standing woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineeredlawns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which type of stove to get. My fireplace is 36"W X 29"H. I can fit most inserts but I like the thought of having a wood stove in front of the fireplace. I think I would get more heat from the stove and would not have to run a fan. I would be limited to stoves with a rear flue exit. I have looked at the Drolet Insert at Northern, approx $900, and I have looked at Jotul and HearthStone stoves, over $2000. After Reading some reviews, I think I will stay away from the Hearthstone. I will be heating approx 1600 sq feet. What would you recommend? Getting firewood is not a Problem. Or should I just buy a used insert. Thanks.

I would get a stove. Never have to worry about a power outage and probley get more heat regardless. I am using a woodstock soap stone and I can say it is without doubt the finest stove I have ever used.

I am trying to decide which type of stove to get. My fireplace is 36"W X 29"H. I can fit most inserts but I like the thought of having a wood stove in front of the fireplace. I think I would get more heat from the stove and would not have to run a fan. I would be limited to stoves with a rear flue exit. I have looked at the Drolet Insert at Northern, approx $900, and I have looked at Jotul and HearthStone stoves, over $2000. After Reading some reviews, I think I will stay away from the Hearthstone. I will be heating approx 1600 sq feet. What would you recommend? Getting firewood is not a Problem. Or should I just buy a used insert. Thanks.

I have an insert in my house.. and a free standing stove in our house in the poconos. The free standing stove gives off alot more heat because none of the heat (well very little) escapes up the chimney. It doesn't use any electricity either.

answer depends largely on how your house is laid out.

main disadvantage with fireplace inserts is difficulty of routing hot air output into existing A/C ducts. a free standing wood stove can be easier to duct hot air output, providing it's got a blower of course.

pretty common problem of warm rooms next to fireplace, cold rooms far away.
one can use in-duct blowers to rout warm air to cold rooms.

main advantage of fireplace insert is infrastructure is already in place.
a safe place for a HOT fire already exists with little to no modifications needed. (depending upon mfg)

don't discount pleasure from watching a nice fire. fact is regardless which you chose. someone (YOU) will need to feed that fire. that's a LOT of work! might as well enjoy a nice fire while your at it :D

technologies is rapidly advancing, look for EPA rated wood stoves for max. efficiencies/burn times.

Last edited:
The stove / insert would be the middle of the house, and the house has good circulation. My wife has decided that a wood stove might be ok after she say the last oil bill. Thanks for mentioning the Woodstock stoves. They get good reviews. They are a Cat stove. Are they ok or should I look at the Non-cat stoves. Thanks again for the replys.:monkey: :monkey:

I bought a Jotul this fall and wouldn't have it any other way. You won't be dissapointed with Jotuls.

Amen! Jotul 600 is what we have. The only thing I had to get use to was the shape of the fire box. The old stove we had, had rectangle shaped box. The Jotul fire box is bigger at the front and slopes down to the back. But as for heat its great!!!

Back