Inside the MS201T....With A Few Tweaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my 201t back from Brad, got a muff mod and timing advance and love it, in wood 6" and bigger it really shined over my muff mod only 200t its plenty fast enough now to use in a tree and runs like it should. Its hard to believe how choked up they come from the factory.

If I do the math from the above post... get 20 weeks of 8 hr per day use of saw.

Now, I own like six of these saws, climb trees (4 days a week!) and just about floss my teeth with a 200T.
But I can only figure I do 2 or 3 hrs per day with the top handle saw - that would take 66 weeks to get to 800 hrs!

I have to admit - I am OK with my 201T. B Snelling tuned it for me and it is nice. I still call the 200T the best. Sorry... :)

Have heard that the new husky (540?) top handle will de-throne the Stihl 200/201T - it is better. But not for sale yet.

If I do the math from the above post... get 20 weeks of 8 hr per day use of saw.

Now, I own like six of these saws, climb trees (4 days a week!) and just about floss my teeth with a 200T.
But I can only figure I do 2 or 3 hrs per day with the top handle saw - that would take 66 weeks to get to 800 hrs!

I have to admit - I am OK with my 201T. B Snelling tuned it for me and it is nice. I still call the 200T the best. Sorry... :)

Have heard that the new husky (540?) top handle will de-throne the Stihl 200/201T - it is better. But not for sale yet.

That's what Im holding out for. Hopefully by the time they release it, I will be back on my feet. I am excited about this 540. Been without a top handle for 6 monthes and patiently waiting. Given how "hot" these other new release Huskys are, and how Stihl seems to be falling behind (or atleast staying complacent), I suspect the 540 is going to come out of the corner swinging with a vengeance!:rock:

Maybe the 540xp will scream right out of the box like the 200t with a simple screen pull, but i can't really imagine needing more speed or power than a MMd 200t/201t has to offer in a tree. Even a muff modded properly tuned 338xpt/2139t will run with a 200t.

i have about 1000 hrs on my 201t they brake inn at 800 to 900 hrs nice job

I'm slowly switching one of my tree companies over to Stihl from Husky and they're finding this close to the truth.

They've gotten a 211, 261 and a 201T from me so far, and I told them up front they have a very noticeable break in period.

And from what they told me the 261 took the shortest to break in about 10-15 tanks of fuel, the 211 was at least 15

and the 201T took almost 3 full weeks of heavy use to fully break in. But now that they've broken in they love them.

I'm slowly switching one of my tree companies over to Stihl from Husky and they're finding this close to the truth.

They've gotten a 211, 261 and a 201T from me so far, and I told them up front they have a very noticeable break in period.

And from what they told me the 261 took the shortest to break in about 10-15 tanks of fuel, the 211 was at least 15

and the 201T took almost 3 full weeks of heavy use to fully break in. But now that they've broken in they love them.

800 hours in 3 weeks is REAL heavy use.

The older 200t seems noticeably faster in those vids. Is that limited coil in the 201 the main culprit?

same chain, same log?

That's probably right Steven. The 201T hasn't been ported at all. Plus it's on it's first tank of fuel......I figure it'll wake up after a dozen or so.
The 200 sounds/looks much stouter.The 201 is hugely improved by what you've done so far.It's been a while since I've seen a new saw that was such a lame duck out of the box.

The 200 sounds/looks much stouter.The 201 is hugely improved by what you've done so far.It's been a while since I've seen a new saw that was such a lame duck out of the box.

Give me a call Gary.......we'll talk about a certain 201T. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back